Multi-Vitamin Supplements

Options
OK, I have tried a couple of brands. I am currently taking One A Day Women's Active Metabolism Supplements. My issue is- they either make me throw up or feel like I am on the verge of throwing up. I do not know what to do. I know how important vitamins are, but I can't keep feeling like I am going to hurl. I take them with a full glass of water and a meal. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It may be the stuff they add for energy that is making you sick. I take the regular one a day for women and have 2-3 cups of coffee daily and I'm never sick from it.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I take the gummy multivitamins from Costco. They taste like candy!
  • sunnyk8
    sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had that exact same problem with regular women's one a day. About 20-30 min after I took the vitamin, I almost ALWAYS felt like I was going to throw up.

I read up on it online and many people say that the vitamin needs to be taken on a full stomach. But I didn't even bother. I stopped taking them.

I need suggestions too!
  • Suederaven
    Suederaven Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You could try breaking them in half. Take half in the morning with a meal and a thick drink (like milk) and take the other half some time later in the day: dinner or before bed. Or try taking the whole pill at nite before you go to sleep. Hopefully you'll sleep thru the nausea. There are always adult gummy vitamins.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, btw, I take mine after breakfast. maybe that's why i'm never sick from it.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    You have to take them on a full stomach. It is the extra iron that is making you nauseous.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear recommendations as well, I have tried both the regular women's One A Day and the active version as well and both give me a stomach ache, and I even wait until after I've eaten both breakfast and lunch. I think I also read someone else post on here about the One A Day vitamins being synthetic and not fully digestable in the stomach...to the point that if you take them religiously eventually they can even be seen in the stomach with X-Ray? Who knows if it's true or not but either way if so many people are having this issue there has to be a better multivitamin option out there!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I drink my vitamins because I HATE taking pills. I drink Shakeology daily and get my vitamins and minerals plus numerous other nutrients.
  • NaturallyMara
    NaturallyMara Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I was having the same problem for years and would take vitamins and then stop because of the sick feeling. Then about a month ago my doctor told me to take a one a day women's multi-vitamin to help with my iron deficiancy and I told her about the side effects, and she said take it on a full stomach.
    So, I take mine right after eating lunch because sometimes in the morning your tummy isn't ready for something heavy....and its worked out great! I don't get sick at all.
  • steffi1686
    steffi1686 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I take Nature Made Multi for Her and I have never had any problems feeling sick even if I forget to take it with my meal.
  • dcholliday2
    dcholliday2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    HI,

I take a women's vitamin supplement from Hi-health that I love and have never been sick from. It's made by Ultra Plan (the hi-health brand). On the bottle it says Sustained Release, Ultimate-plus, Multiv-Vitamin for Women, Mega-potency plus energy & Women's support complexes. I have a sensitive stomach too, and have never been sick from them. I take one in the morning after breakfast and one after lunch.
  • heather6987
    Options
    Take vitamins at night after you've had dinner. I used to take them in the morning and would get sick every time. I switched to night time before I go to bed and haven't had a problem since.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I started taking a One-A-Day women's formula about two weeks ago and have had two nauseous spells. I've eaten breakfast when I take them.
  • girlruns
    Options
    I have never felt nauseous from them, but I was just speaking with two friends who have this problem. They were told that it is the iron found in the women's pills. One has just got used to taking them at night so she is asleep when nauseau would be setting in, but the other has started taking the men's version and hasn't had a problem since.