Favorite Cereal

Options
Just wanting to know everyones Favorite (Healthy) Cereal?
Got sick of eggs for breakfast and I need to eat something in the morning instead of skipping breakfast.

Replies

• water_coloured
    water_coloured Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch is the best.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Cheeries (regular, multi-grain, or honey nut), Rice Krispies, All-Bran ...

Boring I know. Buy my taste buds don't lie. There is something about Cheerios milk that is just heaven.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Honey bunches of oats... Or honey nut Cheerios, I like their theme slogan song :)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I like anything by Kashi. Right now, I am working through a box of Berry Fruitful.

I really like the GoLean Crunch and GoLean crisp - not only are they good the "regular" way (in a bowl with milk), but I also like to occasionally add about 1/2 cup to 6 oz of plain yogurt for breakfast.

Edited to clarify
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Special K Cinamon Pecan.....or Coco Puffs lol
  • OsiViper
    OsiViper Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Lol i said healthy cereals! Peanut butter cap'n crunch and coco puffs don't seem to fit that bill! :)
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Kashi - Heart to Heart Warm Cinnamon Oat Cereal with Silk Vanilla Lite Soymilk
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Kashi Go Lean Crunch.

... and oatmeal. I'm addicted to oatmeal.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Go with Kashi. Anything in the regular aisle is trash, Special K and Cheerios included (sorry guys). My personal favorites are the GoLean lines (original in red box is very tasty), and their Good Friends cereal. Granola tastes good but it is often filled with too much sugar... Cascadian Farm is a huge culprit of that. Make your own granola if that's what you want, it's very easy.

My father is easing his way into a healthy diet and eats Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal. They taste good IMO b/c of the sugar, but Kashi cereals have sugars, too. You can't escape sugar unless you make your own or buy the Uncle Sam flakes. Uncle Sam flakes are your healthiest option if you need something from a box. Otherwise, your #1 absolute option is steel it oats or old fashioned rolled oats... plain, usually sold in a tub and is VERY cheap and you can add anything you want to it. Not that flavored trash in individual packets.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Talking about cereals, came across this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ews7yp2Hn2o
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That's easy. Oatmeal made with almond coconut milk. I could eat it all day! Tastes like an oatmeal cookie!
  • anna_conkers
    anna_conkers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Alpen museli - either original Swiss recipe or raspberry and apple flavour. Delicious with almond milk, I'm obsessed! As far as cereal goes it's pretty low in sugar too.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm crazy about chex. All flavors but right now corn chex is my favorite. :)
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Crunchy bran!
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I go for Chex or cold oatmeal smoothies
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My healthy fav's are:

Original Cheerios
    Special K
    Kashi Go Lean

and the other's:

Cookie Crisp
    Lucky Charms
    Fruity Pebbles
  • kristennicolee15
    Options
    Cheeeeerios!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I do not get the obsession with Kashi cereals. I have found them inedible and many have honey, cane syrup, and degerminated corn..I do not see why they are so healthy and also many have more calories per servings than other cereals.

Here is an example: ingredients in Kashi Go lean Vanilla Graham Clusters:
    Soy Grits, Kashi Seven Whole Grain Honey Puffs (Whole Hard Red Wheat, Whole Brown Rice, Honey, Cane Syrup, Whole Barley, Whole Triticale, Whole Oats, Whole Rye, Whole Buckwheat, Sesame Seeds), Cane Syrup, Degerminated Yellow Corn Meal, Degerminated Yellow Corn Flour, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Soy Protein Isolate, Rolled Oats, Corn Bran, Dried Cane Syrup, Soy Protein Concentrate, Kashi Seven Whole Grains & Sesame Flour (Whole: Oats, Hard Red Wheat, Rye, Brown Rice, Triticale, Barley, Buckwheat, Sesame Seed), Brown Rice Syrup, Graham Flour, Honey, Brown Rice Flour, Natural Flavors, Molasses, Salt, Whole Oat Flour, Wheat Starch, Baking Soda, Calcium Carbonate, Mixed Tocopherols For Freshness, Annatto Color.

Ingredients in Cherrios:
    Whole Grain Oats, Modified Corn Starch, Sugar, Oat Bran, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Oat Fiber, Tripotassium Phosphate, Corn Starch, Wheat Starch, Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols) added to preserve freshness.

Yes there is less protein without the soy. However, I could just have another source of protein at some point in the day.

And heart to heart's first 4 ingredients. The third is sugar. 5 grams of sugar compared to 1 with cherrios
    Whole Oat Flour, Oat Bran, Cane Syrup, Yellow Corn Meal,

I don't really see Kashi as being all that much better for you.

I like Cherrios, Wheaties, and Life for decently healthier options.

I love way too many sugar laden cereals to list.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Cereal one sitting on my counter:

120 cal
    1g fat
    27g carb
    2g fiber
    10g sugar
    2g protein

Cereal two:
    110 cal
    1.5g fat
    22g carb
    2g fiber
    9g sugar
    2g protein

Cereal three:
    100 cal
    1.5g fat
    23g carb
    2g fiber
    10g sugar
    1g protein

One of those is one that is considered healthy or a healthier choice than others. The other two are classified as kids cereals.

It doesn't matter what a cereal is classified as, they're all going to be pretty much the same basic stats unless you start making ingredients lists like Kashi's because they're adding a bunch of other stuff to try to make their cereal seem better than others.

Even cereals like Fiber One try to lure you in with their claims of higher fiber and healthier breakfast choices, but they swap out regular sugar for aspartame and sucralose, which doesn't fall under the idea of healthy for me.

Any cereal choice is going to be pretty standard, it will just depend what carbs you want in what flavor profile. Just keep in mind that you're swapping protein and healthy fat for carbs and sugar as a breakfast option. I'm not knocking cereal at all (clearly I enjoy cereal), just giving a heads up that you may find yourself less satisfied after your breakfast swap.

Honestly, I love cereal, but I eat it as dessert. I stick to eggs and steel cut oats for breakfast.