Starting to hate forums..

Options
Maybe its just me

Replies

• marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It might be just you.

I don't understand why people think commenters are rude or unsupportive. Nobody should have to hold your hand and drizzle honey on their comments to get a point across. You ask a question, you get an answer. You mess up and post about it, people are gonna give you real responses. Think about it, if every time you posted OMG I OVERATE AGAIN and all you got was, awww, it's ok, you'll do better next time, what motivation would you have to do better? It'll always be, it's ok, do better next time. We are here to motivate. Babying you is not going to help you.

Is anyone calling you stupid, dumb or whatever? If not don't assume that's what they mean.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    It might be just you.

I don't understand why people think commenters are rude or unsupportive. Nobody should have to hold your hand and drizzle honey on their comments to get a point across. You ask a question, you get an answer. You mess up and post about it, people are gonna give you real responses. Think about it, if every time you posted OMG I OVERATE AGAIN and all you got was, awww, it's ok, you'll do better next time, what motivation would you have to do better? It'll always be, it's ok, do better next time. We are here to motivate. Babying you is not going to help you.

Is anyone calling you stupid, dumb or whatever? If not don't assume that's what they mean.

tumblr_mi1mc5jkQd1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly understandable. The knee jerk response is a favorite exercise in online forums.

I notice that many of my friends only use MFP for logging food and exercise.
  • haleyjester
    haleyjester Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So what if someone is calling me stupid? There is a difference between someone giving you their opinions and making you feel small.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

The replies there were reasonable and informative. I don't see why OP should feel offended. Meh.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

The replies there were reasonable and informative. I don't see why OP should feel offended. Meh.

Yep, the replies were right on target.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    So what if someone is calling me stupid? There is a difference between someone giving you their opinions and making you feel small.

the person calling you stupid is being a jerk.

but that's just one person. you shouldn't judge the overall group of people by the behavior of one.

the reality is that these forums are free. you don't have to pass a personality test to signup for MFP. there is a cross section of people in here that is just like the cross section in life.

you will find jerks. and egotists. and narcissists. and attention seekers. etc.

but you'll also find helpful people. nice people. patient people. people who are willing to teach you what you don't know. etc.

have a thick skin. don't take insults from strangers personally. if the insults cross the line, report them. however, disagreements aren't insults. take the time to understand the opposing view before assuming you're being insulted.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Maybe its just me

YEP!!! OK, BYE!
  • haleyjester
    Options

The thing is I understand that they are reasonable responses. I stated earlier I know there is no miracle drug, I never said this was. I know people close in my life that have taken this and it has helped them when they hit a certain point. All I was asking for is if anyone else had taken it and what they thought of it...Yea, maybe they werent sounding rude or unsupportive in their responses but thats not what my question was. This isnt the only post in the forums that I or someone else has posted that the responders maybe sounded condescending.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

There is a difference between someone saying something to make you feel small and you reading something and interpreting it in a way that makes you feel small.
  • marilynx
    Options

What reason do you have to feel small? You've lost 40 pounds. You're doing great. I'm pretty sure you're just too sensitive. We are all adults. Seriously, I'm pretty sure people don't post answers to questions to make you feel small 99% of the time. Yeah you may have the occasional jerk, but on here it's few and far between. Stop being so sensitive, seriously.
  • haleyjester
    Options

the person calling you stupid is being a jerk.

but that's just one person. you shouldn't judge the overall group of people by the behavior of one.

the reality is that these forums are free. you don't have to pass a personality test to signup for MFP. there is a cross section of people in here that is just like the cross section in life.

you will find jerks. and egotists. and narcissists. and attention seekers. etc.

but you'll also find helpful people. nice people. patient people. people who are willing to teach you what you don't know. etc.

have a thick skin. don't take insults from strangers personally. if the insults cross the line, report them. however, disagreements aren't insults. take the time to understand the opposing view before assuming you're being insulted.

You are absolutely right, and I just dont have a thick skin like that. We are a group of people who dont know anything about eachother except what we post on here, and sometimes it hits a spot. Thats all.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

The thing is I understand that they are reasonable responses. I stated earlier I know there is no miracle drug, I never said this was. I know people close in my life that have taken this and it has helped them when they hit a certain point. All I was asking for is if anyone else had taken it and what they thought of it...Yea, maybe they werent sounding rude or unsupportive in their responses but thats not what my question was. This isnt the only post in the forums that I or someone else has posted that the responders maybe sounded condescending.

Maybe sounded condescension?

This is the internet. There is no sarcasm button or way to hear inflection or tone like you would talking to someone face to face.

Granted I am sure there are condescending jerks online. They exist in real life to, so that's hardly surprising. But the majority of the tone you take from something posted online from a person you have never met in real life is completely fabricated in your head.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options

I agree. No one was rude at all.
  • marilynx
    Options
    Double post, sorry
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Thought so too. Quite mild actually considering the OP....
  • i_am_melting
    Options
    Some people have no tact or sensitivity. Just move on and do your thing :glasses:
  • marilynx
    Options
    I don't think the responses were rude either. The only problem incouldnsee is that people were not answering her question. I mean, she didn't ask what people THIUGHT of thendietbpills, she asked if anyone else was taking them.

If anything you should be complaining about people going off topic. Not about rudeness, cause they weren't rude.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    When you start to feel that way, take a break from the forums. It's that way with all forums, not just MFP. MFP is probably one of the nicer forums I've been in, especially considering the diversity of people that visit.