Yoga

Options
Hi everyone, I am currently strength training about 2 times a week and doing light to moderate cardio exercise 3 times a week (just starting out and I'm building up). I've heard wonderful things about the health benefits of yoga and I was thinking of starting it? What is everyone else's experience with yoga, has it helped anyone lose weight?

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! As far as losing weight I haven't found it to be too efficient, BUT when I've been doing it consistently I notice a HUGE difference in how I feel, I sleep better, my muscles recover faster after hard weight training workouts, I have less headaches/muscle aches, my running improves, and I don't develop the running related issues that I'm accustomed to developing i.e. shin pain etc. I would highly recommend incorporating it into your routine even if the only benefits that you see are mental. Yoga is also great for developing core strength and improving balance (both are important for injury prevention).

As for the type of yoga, eveyrone has different preferences. I personally really like power yoga and vinyasa yoga... preferrably hot yoga (in a heated room, not to be confused with Bikram). Try a bunch of different types ( there are hundreds) until you find one that really jives well with your body and your goals( I like to be good and sweaty when I'm done). I would also suggest going to a yoga class at least at first, especially if you're a beginner. The instructor can make sure you're using proper form and technique. Plus, the class is usually different every time so you can grow and develop in your practice rather than completing the same routine over and over (Bikram is the same series of poses, every class, no matter which instructor you go to).
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I agree with workoutgrl. Go try a couple of classes and see what you think. Most studios offer the first class free, so you can try a bunch of different types of yoga. You might find one you like.

The most effective tools for losing weight are the ones that you can keep doing for your lifetime. If you find a yoga class you like, you'll stick with it.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yoga will not help you lose weight. Eating fewer calories than you expend will help you lose weight. Although you will hear people like Tara Stiles claim that yoga "boosts your metabolism", it is actually patently false:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/6/28.

I started practicing yoga about 13 years ago, and while it has been rewarding in many ways and has done wonders for my proprioception and flexibility, the most frustrating aspect of the practice is how anti-scientific the community is. They seem to regard critical thinking as a character fault. Anyway, I would recommend taking a beginner series in an Iyengar studio--you are least likely to get hurt, and most likely to get competent instruction by a well-prepared teacher in the Iyengar tradition.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. For its relaxation. The fact that I have less injuries from the deep stretching. Love the ladies in my class. Weight lose not so much but I will not give it up because of all the other benefits. It just makes me feel better.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do the Les Mills version of yoga (body flow or balance outside the US) and love it.

It isn't the only exercise I do, but I feel amazing afterwards, all stretched out and loose. And even though I've only been doing it for a couple weeks, I'm already more flexible. My balance is improving, and it's a good core workout.

Also, one thing I've noticed is that yoga ends up making different muscles sore than the (super-beginning) strength training I'm doing. It seems like if I feel it the next day, it's always in a weird spot that I don't even know how to target. The classes I'm doing have also helped with back pain. My chiropractor said my muscles would get so tight they would pull my spine out of whack, and I've felt a huge difference since starting yoga.

I don't think that yoga is the absolute best if you are just looking to lose weight, but I do think they are amazing for increasing balance and flexibility and working on muscles that can be difficult to target.

Oh, and one of my friends does the Bob Harper yoga DVD, and has said that it's been instrumental to her toning. She doesn't do any yoga classes, but she's flexible and ripped so I think it's worth checking out.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I enjoy yoga for the following reasons:
    --a good session will relax me in a way I never knew was possible before yoga
    --it makes me feel stronger in my core and arms
    --it increases my body awareness

Most kinds do not seem that high on the calorie burn. I treat this more as flexibility/stretching, not to replace cardio or strength.
  • irisheyes7177
    irisheyes7177 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight doing yoga. But it depends on the type of yoga you practice. If you stick with Hatha or some of the more "meditative" forms of yoga - then you will have great flexibility benefits, but probably not lose any weight. When I consistently practice Ashtanga, Vinyasa or other forms of Flow yoga - I have been in the best shape of my life. Granted, I wasn't eating a BIg Mac and drinking a six pack after class either. If you couple yoga with a good diet - you can lose weight (imho). Just walk into any power yoga studio near you - it would be hard to find someone who has been practicing for a while very out of shape. I have been put to shame by women in their 70's and 80's at my current studio - unfortunatley, it's really hard to find a really intense class at the gym. It would scare most people away. So if you really want to lose weight with yoga - you need to find a studio and attend classes at least 3-4 days per week. Oh yeah - you will also see amazing strangth results as well. No lifting needed - you are using your own body weight for strength training. Okay - sorry for the rant - I really am a huge fan - even got my boyfriend to finally do the P90x yoga DVD in Afghanistan - he is learning to love it - but admits that he sweats his *kitten* off and is really seeing the benefits! Good luck :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    @IrishEyes - no rant there; all wise words.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Love yoga!!!!! I am taking two classes a week now but I practice at home alone too some days :)

Here are the benefits I've experienced:
    - virtually cured my insomnia which troubled me for years.
    - made me flexible for the first time ever
    - helped my posture
    - improved my strength (even before I started lifting)
    - helped me with peace of mind and relaxation
    - every time I leave the studio I feel stronger, more powerful and more proud of myself than the time before.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yoga has helped me with stress. When I am not stressed my metabolic rate increases. If you don't have these problems, then at the very least yoga will make you more flexible and aware of your body.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Can yoga really build muscle?

“People always ask me, ‘Don’t you lift weights?’” says yoga expert Rodney Yee. “I sort of giggle to myself and say, ‘Yes — I lift my own body weight!’”

When you do yoga poses, Yee explains, “You’re putting your body in positions and orientations that you ultimately have to support with your muscles. So you are lifting weights.”

Like many yogis, Yee doesn’t like focusing on how yoga can sculpt your physique. They want students to focus on yoga as a way of thinking, feeling and being, versus getting preoccupied with perfecting their outer appearance.

Still, when you look at Yee’s arms (the photos in this article show him in a few strength-building yoga poses) or those of his wife, Colleen Saidman (pictured above), you can’t help but want some of the yoga poses they’re having for breakfast.

The upshot is that you can increase muscle tone and definition — and even muscle size — with yoga. But because you're limited to “lifting” your own body weight, it may take a lot more skill, time and determination than it would with lifting weights.

“Yoga can be just as effective as weights when it comes to building a stronger, more impressive physique,” says Nicholas DiNubile, M.D. Yet experts agree that whether yoga can be your sole form of strength training depends on your goals.

Weights are best for building bulk

“If all you’re looking to do is build muscle, weight training is the more practical approach,” advises DiNubile. In fact, the American Council on Exercise defines strength training as “exercising with progressively heavier resistance for the purpose of strengthening the muscular skeletal system.”

Yet the key phrase here is progressively heavier resistance. Basically, your muscles and bones must be overloaded to keep developing. With traditional weight training, as your muscles adapt to the resistance and get stronger, that weight is no longer a challenge, and you have to add more weight to achieve the same results.

With weight training, theoretically you can continue to grow the size and strength of your muscles forever — as long as you continue to add weight.

There are several reasons yoga is a more balanced way to do strength training:

A regular yoga practice can reduce your risk of injury and condition your body to perform better at things you have to do every day: walk, sit, twist, bend, lift groceries .... A form of functional fitness, yoga moves your body in the ways it was designed to move to help ensure that it keeps functioning properly. For example, in yoga you use both large and small muscles and move in many directions (twisting, arcing, etc.), not just back and forth on a one-dimensional plane, as in the forward-back motion of a bicep curl.

Yoga tones muscles all over your body, in balance with each other. Weight training exercises typically isolate and flex one muscle or muscle group at a time.

Yoga relies on eccentric contraction, where the muscle stretches as it contracts, giving the muscles that sleek, elongated look while increasing flexibility in the muscles and joints. Weight training relies on the opposite physical principle of concentric muscle contraction, which means the muscle gets smaller as it contracts. Without proper stretching, the muscle fibers heal close together, giving the muscle that compact, bulging look.

Yoga increases muscle endurance because you typically hold any given pose for a period of time and repeat it several times during a yoga workout.

For good general fitness, do some of both.

I advise clients who are just trying to stay fit and healthy (not do body-building) to get a mix of both body-weight exercises and workouts using weights or resistance tools. Many studies have shown that the more variety in your workout routine, the faster you’ll see results.

Note that body-weight exercises also include good-ol’ pushups, squats and other calisthenics — any type of movement that requires you to hold or lift yourself up with your limbs.

While the most important thing is to find a form of exercise you love and can see yourself doing as a lifelong habit, I encourage my clients to continally try new and different forms of exercise. If you include many types of workout techniques, you’ll continue to test and push your body in different ways, and you'll keep growing as a fitness enthusiast and as an individual.

Which yoga poses are best for developing strength?

Yee explains that certain types of yoga poses build muscle tone in different ways.

“Challenging arm balances and inversion poses are very effective for building muscle strength,” he says, “because they flex groups of smaller muscles — not just the major muscles you work with a weight machine — to support the body’s weight during the pose.”

“Holding standing poses such as the Warrior Poses and Triangle Pose is great for strengthening the leg muscles.” he adds. “And in balance poses such as Tree Pose, one leg has to hold up your entire body. So you’re increasing your strength just by putting your weight on that leg.”

By holding the positions longer, doing more repetitions, and learning new yoga poses, you can make your yoga practice more or less challenging, just as you can with traditional body weight exercises like squats and lunges. Just don’t try to go straight to the advanced yoga videos and poses like arm balances to get on a fast-track to “cut” arms.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't do it for weight loss....I do it because it makes me feel fantastic. It took me a long time to convince my muscle-y DH to join me but now he loves it. He does it for the same reason I do, we feel great afterwards and everything feels loosey goosey when we're done :drinker:
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Yoga has helped me with stress. When I am not stressed my metabolic rate increases. If you don't have these problems, then at the very least yoga will make you more flexible and aware of your body.

yup. I agree :)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Been doing Bikram for just under two months and my aching back is feeling much better and my injured ankle is getting stronger. I know one person who lost a considerable amount of weight doing Bikram so I hope I will loose, also.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love my yoga. It got me to my goal weight and kept me there.
  • vgurgel
    vgurgel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love Yoga. I practice Hatha for about a year, and at least a few minutes every day. Since starting, I dropped a lot of weight, because I began to focus n how my body feels when I feed it the "wrong" food. Also, it´s helped me becoming less anxious, and I tend to eat a lot when I´m anxious. Practicing just Hatha and doing no other activities has helped me build up some visible muscles on my arms and legs. However, I´m considering incorporating running to my routine to speed up my weight loss a bit (I didn´t want to do it before since my legs weren't strong enough and it might injury my knees).