Lost 60 lbs on WW, new to MFP and have some questions

Options
Hello everyone,

I just signed up for MFP after being a WW member for 2+ years and losing about 60 pounds with their program.
I am a 30 year old male, currently weighing 241lbs. I plan on losing about 50 more in the next 6 months (getting married in January!) and I feel like WW isn't flexible enough to allow me to lose that weight (their plan and leaders do not support you if you want to eat less than your weekly points, and their weekly weight loss target is 1-2lbs).

In terms of food intake, the main differences between MFP and WW are:
WW gives you 49 weekly points to eat whatever you want (ROUGHLY 2000 calories)
WW allows you not to count fruit and veggies as long as you eat a normal, healthy quantity (~5 servings) per day.

Now here's the interesting thing. To lose 2 lbs per week, MFP tells me that I need to eat 1,590 calories per day. After eating breakfast and some watermelon today, I'm already up to 711 calories. However, WW allows me to eat 51 points currently. According to WW, I only ate 12 out of my daily 51. If you factor in the weekly points, that's 12 out of 58, which means I ate about one fifth of my daily calories on WW vs almost half of my daily points on MFP.

This HUGE difference doesn't make sense to me. I know many MFP members don't like WW (I've read many WW vs MFP threads before opening this one). However, I still lost 60 pounds using WW, my fiancee lost almost 30 pounds and a good friend of mine lost 20, reached his goal and stayed at his goal for about a year now. So I know WW works, the question is how can you explain the difference? Either WW had me eating too much or MFP is letting me eat too little.

I would love to get input from other members, especially people who were on WW and moved to MFP - did you have a huge difference in daily target like I do? What worked for you?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you ate for breakfast, but here's my take on it:

A) 1 to 2 pounds a week is healthy and sustainable goal. More than that and you could start losing more lean mass. Lean mass is nice when you have saggy skin, to help fill you out.

B ) Your calorie count for breakfast seems like it could be a little high, what did you eat and how did you measure (your diary isn't open)

C) If you exercise, you can eat calories to cover the burn. This is also supposed to help retain your lean body mass.

D) At your age and weight, you could eat more than 1590 calories and still lose weight. I am female, 5'7", 28 years old, and losing weight on that many calories in a day. Y'know, if you want to.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I used WW and lost weight I am here because I hate paying to loose weight and for me it's about health and fitness not weight.

As for you the calories seem a little low for your weight (not sure of your activity level) as I can take in 1390 and loose 1lb a week and I am female 5 "7 175lbs and my BMR is just over 1800 as I have a desk job. But if you want 2lbs a week then Yah it's probably right on.

Now as for the difference fruit and veggies have calories those count here on MPF but just like WW you can earn calories/points with exercise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How does WW work with exercise though? MFP is myFITNESSpal, and is really designed to work with some sort of fitness plan - and lets you eat more when you do.
  • KarmaQueen1
    Options
    I was with WW for a while, and ditto to most of the things you said. The difference is, WW does not count calories when you eat most veggies and fruits. With MFP, you are counting all your calories as they come in, instead of rounding it to a points scale. In my opinion you loose more accurately following how many calories you consume than following an arbitrary points system. I also noticed, that WW did not emphasize eating healthy as much as they should have. There was a lady in the meetings who ate mostly chips and dip, and fast food hamburgers, she was losing, but I dreaded to see what that diet was doing to her long time health expectations. In the search for making dieting easy they are really forgetting that dieting is in the long run about obtaining improved health, and not only about improved looks.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    For starters, you already said that 49 points on WW was about 2000 calories for you, while MFP is giving you 1590. That's 410 calories right there. Plus, the watermelon is free in WW, but not MFP. So that accounts for some of the difference. I don't know what else you had for breakfast, so can't say much else about that. MFP is strictly calorie counting. WW points are based on calories, fat, fiber, carb and protein. Foods with lower fat and more fiber tend to be lower in points than something with the same calories but less fiber (or more fat).

Also, you have lost weight on WW, so you obviously were not eating too much. If you set MFP to 2 pounds per week, it often gives you calories which are too low. But you are expected to eat back exercise calories, which adds to your base. I lose on 1590 a day, and I am a 49 year old female. You can and should eat more. I would at least stick to what you were doing with WW and Eat more than 1590.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    How does WW work with exercise though? MFP is myFITNESSpal, and is really designed to work with some sort of fitness plan - and lets you eat more when you do.

WW also boosts your Points when you exercise. No difference there.
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime WW member. I ended up on MFP because I went over my WW goal and didn't want to pay to get back. I am now below my WW goal. I attend meetings about 1-3 times a month depending on how busy I am. I lost 80 pounds with WW. Oh, and I am 5'5" tall female. My starting WW weight was 222 pounds with a goal of 142. Now I am currently 137. :)

I think both programs work, but I find that MFP (IMO) sets the calorie goals too low. I find that I need to get bonus exercise calories everyday in order to feel like I am getting enough food and that I often eat 200-300 calories over that about 1-2 days a week. I don't track every single day, but I track (oops, WW lingo, log...) enough to know what I am doing, plus I have been keeping track and learning about weight loss for many years now. I must say that I have never been able to get down so low nor have I felt so fit as this time around. I have been a horrible yo-yoer in the past (up 30 pounds then down 30 etc.). I attribute my success to a combination of many factors: extra support from a close friend, additional knowledge, more exercise (I started running to compete in a half marathon), drastically changing my perspective on food (I have gone to saying 'I can't have that' to 'I don't want that', reading a book entitled "Made to Crave" which was written who details her own weight loss from a spiritual, Biblical perspective, and probably others that I have neglected to remember at this time.

I think that it is helpful also to listen to your body and learn your body's signals for hunger versus other needs, such as water, exercise, or diversion (no boredom eating!).

Anyways, I hope that my rambling helped answer some of your questions...please message me if you have specific questions that I might have answers to. I am by no means an expert, but I have had experience with both programs. :)
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For starters, you already said that 49 points on WW was about 2000 calories for you, while MFP is giving you 1590. That's 410 calories right there. Plus, the watermelon is free in WW, but not MFP. So that accounts for some of the difference. I don't know what else you had for breakfast, so can't say much else about that. MFP is strictly calorie counting. WW points are based on calories, fat, fiber, carb and protein. Foods with lower fat and more fiber tend to be lower in points than something with the same calories but less fiber (or more fat).

I've done both. For me, my experience was the opposite. WW became all about an arbitrary number of points (another term for calories, without knowing the exact amount of calories) and MFP not only gives me the exact amount of calories in, but it has me track my macros of carbs, fat and protein. If I want to hit my goals, I need to carefully track my fat, protein and carbs and not just eat an x amount of pre-packaged WW junk food snacks. MFP gives me much more useful information... for free. However, WW gave me the accountability and support when I really needed them, so they are quite helpful for some people.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

I've done both. For me, my experience was the opposite. WW became all about an arbitrary number of points (another term for calories, without knowing the exact amount of calories) and MFP not only gives me the exact amount of calories in, but it has me track my macros of carbs, fat and protein. If I want to hit my goals, I need to carefully track my fat, protein and carbs and not just eat an x amount of pre-packaged WW junk food snacks. MFP gives me much more useful information... for free. However, WW gave me the accountability and support when I really needed them, so they are quite helpful for some people.

I've done both as well, and I prefer MFP for the same reasons you do. I was simply trying to point out where the differences were in how he was looking at things. He said he had only eaten 1/5th of his calories according to WW, but almost 1/2 according to MFP. I was trying to point out that there are differences in how the two work. You are answering a different question, although I agree with you.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My thought is that you must have eaten a lot of fruit and veggies which are zero points, but still have calories. I know when I was on WW they used to have a core plan (I think the name has been changed to simply filling?) The lean proteins are low in points and fruits and veggies are zero points. I think a high protein lots of fruit and veggie breakfast would be 12 points, but could easily be 700 calories). I like WW, I think it has some valuable information, and a great plan. I lost 50 pounds on it, but then had to quit because the cost was too high and I had a ways to go before I reached my goal and it was free. I think you take what you learned at WW and try to incorporate it with the mfp.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options

WW gives you activity points for exercise. Points are based on intensity and duration of the workout. You have the option to eat or not eat those activity points.
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    WW doesn't count fruits and veggies as points. That is why there is a huge difference. It is good MFP counts them because fruits have sugar. I switched from WW as well. Lost more weight in here then there because in MFP all calories no matter the good are tracked.
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I've recently switched from WW to MFP and although I only have around 7 lbs to lose I'm finding it much better already. I'm finding I feel better generally, feeling fuller and not snacking as much. I'm sure it's because I am eating a more balanced diet and in particular more proteins, less fruit and more filling foods. Feel free to add me and see my food diary. I don't believe I was eating enough before and relying too much in "free" foods which were stacking up hidden calories.
    Good luck!!
    Becky
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think what some people are getting confused... WW was giving him an extra 400 calories a day PLUS free fruits and veggies which makes the difference much much bigger - not smaller. And this is BEFORE the weekly points which per day is another 300 calories approximately. It's an alarming difference.

Also I find that my leader was pushing to eat a lot of lean protein but when I logged my foods into MFP it looks like I'm eating too much protein and not enough carbs. I'm very surprised.