Eat before going to the gym? Help please!

Options
Over the last 2 weeks I've joined the gym and have been going about 3/4 times a week.

Most of the time I've gone after work so I've had lunch a few hours before (c500cals) and then head straight home and have dinner afterwards. I'm burning around 300 cals on each trip to the gym.

At the weekend, I have been going first thing in the morning, but havent been eating breakfast before hand. This morning I had a great workout - 350 cals cardio + some weights .. and then I suddenly came across feeling really faint/dizzy and had to sit down to stop myself from potentially falling over! I went straight home and had some breakfast.

I need some advice on whether or not I should be eating before these gym trips (especially the early morning ones). I'm only burning about 300 calories on average.. so I really dont want to feel like I'm spending the first 10/15mins burning off what I've just eaten!!

Does that make sense? Would appreciate thoughts :) x

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    And how much do you eat every day?
  • alicia246
    Options
    Oops - forgot .. thats fairly fundamental!

I'm trying to eat around 1000-1200 calories a day. I'm 26yrs, 5'4 and weigh 160lb
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I also work out in the mornings during the weekend. I have to eat beforehand or I get dizzy. Am not big on breakfasts so I usually eat light - a yoghurt and some muesli, a banana and yoghurt, plain oatmeal.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I always eat before I work out, sometimes it's just a handful of almonds or a banana but it's always something. You're running on empty in the morning, and trying to make your body burn 300 cals?

My advice, EAT. You can eat your exercise calories back, so it shouldn't matter when you consume them. Better to eat them before the gym and have more energy to perform better, than to be running on empty and not performing at your peak.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Oops - forgot .. thats fairly fundamental!

I'm trying to eat around 1000-1200 calories a day. I'm 26yrs, 5'4 and weigh 160lb

If you are coming close to passing out at the gym, I am going to hazard a guess that you are fairly accurate in counting those calories. But just to be sure, do you weigh your food on a digital scale?

Assuming that you are eating that little, the answer is simple: you need to eat more to support your level of activity. You are not passing out because of the timing of your meals, you are passing out because you are not eating enough to exercise 3-4 times a day given your body size.
  • alicia246
    Options
    Sensible advice - will definitely make sure I eat something tomorrow morning and see if I notice any difference!!
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    You should eat a small snack of complex carbs about 30 mins before you workout like rice, beans, peanuts, whole grains, or vegetables like spinach. I usually eat an organic rice cake with a tbsp of PB on it or some mashed potatoes.