shin splints

Options
Anyone around who has suffered from shin splints? so normally i walk to my gym, which is about 3kms, then i do about 3.5 km running on treadmill at a slight incline (if i run flat, i get pain, and not the best workout). Today, and a few other times, i didnt walk to the gym, warmed up on the treadmill by walking about 2mins then when i ran on slight incline, this incredible pain around my shins, like a cramping/shooting pain. Im assuming shin splints. Anyone have a way of decreasing the pain factor? or a way to ease pain that allows me to keep running?

Replies

• vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    You need to warm up with at least a 5 minute brisk walk. And maybe slow down on the treadmill
    Good luck
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    First of all, make sure that's what it is. You want to make sure that you don't have any other serious injury. I get them pretty easily on my right leg (which is much weaker due to a car accident I was in), and there are a few things you can do. Get show inserts to make sure that your feet are getting proper support. Do strengthening exercises. The stronger the muscles around the bones are, the more support you'll get. Ice when it hurts. And try to stick to low impact exercises while you're recovering from shin splints. You don't want to make the problem worse!
  • heathcliffx
    Options
    I have been having the problem after a week of incorporating a two mile run after Insanity. Ice helps a lot. For now I am either doing insanity or the two mile run until it gets better. I been looking at braces but I am not sure how much they will help. From the little research I've done its same as what Aquarabbit mentioned, that there are exercises that can strengthen the muscles around your shin to minimize this, as well as different shoes, insoles etc.

Let me know how you decide to deal with the problem and the results you get. I am in the same battle =D
  • coopbd
    coopbd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    See a good physiotherapist to determine the cause. Mine was a result of hip imbalances and poor core strength. Its amazing how everything is connected. I stopped running altogether for about 12 weeks and gradually reintroduced it on a treadmill. I also reduced the amount of walking I was doing for a few weeks. I kept up with the physio and core exercises etc and went on to train and run a half marathon injury free.
    Ice ice ice as well.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not your shoes? When I start having shin pain/shin splints, rotating in a new pair of my running shoes generally fixes the problem.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    How are you landing? Are you landing on your heels? Lean forward a bit while running it will force you to land more midfoot or on the balls of your feet.
  • claudialenz711
    Options
    Are you sure it's not your shoes? When I start having shin pain/shin splints, rotating in a new pair of my running shoes generally fixes the problem.

Am with this. Treadmill is higher impact on the feet and well cushioned, supporting, quality running shoes are a must.though overall its difficult to comment what's causing it and how to remedy it without actually seeing you run. If you haven't had one done, get a gait scan and have the best personal trainer at your gym have a look at your running technique. Slight adjustment could make a big difference. Warm up and gentle stretches are essential pre-requ. To let it heal and repair, rest is still top of the list combined with gentle daily stretches. Overused muscles = higher risk of injuries. Good luck and all the Best
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bad form