thyroid man!

Options
Hey guys,

I am a forty-one year old man with a severe under active thyroid and pretty high cholesterol. Glad I found this site because I can now try and track my exercise and diet on a daily basis. Anyone out there with hypothyroidism? You will know how hard it is to exercise sometimes, when you get the thyroid tiredness - its like no other - but if so, get back to me, I am searching for good recipe ideas and exercise advice!
I reckon I exercise well I am a big biker - but my diet is not good......and I could do with alternative exercise ideas for us lethargic thyroid sufferers! I know you are out there!

Cheers guys

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I am a forty-one year old man with a severe under active thyroid and pretty high cholesterol. Glad I found this site because I can now try and track my exercise and diet on a daily basis. Anyone out there with hypothyroidism? You will know how hard it is to exercise sometimes, when you get the thyroid tiredness - its like no other - but if so, get back to me, I am searching for good recipe ideas and exercise advice!
    I reckon I exercise well I am a big biker - but my diet is not good......and I could do with alternative exercise ideas for us lethargic thyroid sufferers! I know you are out there!

Cheers guys

No soy and tofu, healthy eating, get rid of the white stuff (flour, white bread etc.), watch your sodium. The weight will come off, but slowly, which means you you have to clean up your diet.
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I'm hypothyroid, and it is a B*TCH! When my thyro makes me sluggish (feels like gravity is 80 times higher than normal) I find that getting in a little exercise through non-cardio methods works. The idea of getting up and jumping around or running can sound impossible during those times, but laying in the floor and doing a DVD of pilates is ok, and it's better than doing nothing :) Luckily for me, my doctor monitors my levels pretty closely, so I don't have too many of those dragging days anymore.
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi Beerdan
    I had thyroid cancer 21 years ago and have no thyroid and take 125 mm of oroxine. I know the tiredness and the difficulty losing weight. This year I decided to try the 5:2 way of eating and have lost 10 kg, lowered my cholesterol from 5.9 to 4 and increased my liver function by 100%. I'm 60 but reasonably active, I swim 60 laps 4 times a week, Bushwalking twice a week and do a Pilates class and work out in the gym 2 days. Im newly retired and my husband needed to lose weight so we've done it together but he has lost .6 kg more than me and is 10.6 kg down.
    Just thought I'd encourage you someone with low thyroxine levels can lose weight, even if it took me 20 years to find it!!!
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I sent you a request..possibly two... since i was trying to correct my typo on the first one..:flowerforyou:

hypothyroidism is like having numerous walls to climb over... but determination will get you over those walls..
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Same here, 41yrs old suffering from Thyroid problem since last 4 years, high LDL, Triglycerides and other IBS problems as well but I had reduced my weight by 3 kgs in one month by controlling diet and regular walk of 35 minutes on and average on daily basis. In short, I am satisfied with my progress till now ! It will suck but result will come......sure !!
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    hi!! I have an underactive thyroid for 17 years, well actually since birth as I was born with one (congenital hypothyroid? lol ) but been on meds for 17 years, its a *kitten*, it really is and my dad has it too but his starting losing weight now, as I have him on PHD diet whey and a walk every night. his lost 3 pounds so far in 2 weeks, which is great for a thyroid person! are you USA or UK?

P.s upping selenium intake and lowering things like broccoli and cauliflower help, sprillena (the algea) s fantastic as an energy tonic as is Acai berry. FOR ENERGY. not weight loss, they are packed full of nutrients! Optima do a great Acai berry health drink!!!

and don't forget to take your meds at the same time, without a hot drink :)
  • Peruah
    Peruah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, suffering from hypothyroidism which was detected 2 years ago -- I don't know if I should be happy or upset (to have detected it pretty quickly or to have gotten it so early in the first place and messing my hormones!)
    Anyhow, I'm trying to lose about 15 pounds for the last 6 months but I've yo-yoed around.
    I'm trying to bring it down now, because my doctor told me that it helps with the thyroid.
    I started pretty high (23), it came down to 17 (2 months later) and then within the normal range in the next 6 months. However recently it's gone a little high again (5.5); reference range is 0.5 to 5.
    My doctor's suggested eliminating almost all white carbs even brown ones actually. He thinks losing about 5 pounds could bring down my TSH levels. I'm not morbidly obese though. 5 feet 4 and 142 pounds - but apparently losing 5 can make a significant difference.
  • beerdan
    beerdan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for contact - sounds like you are doing great! Ive been hypo for five years now, but as my intake of thyroxine is steady, my cholesterol increases - I am now 7.1 :( but I know I will get there just need to change my diet, I exercise quite a lot.
  • Beavergong
    Options
    My cholesterol went from down after 3 months on 5:2 but so did my TSH so I had to lower my oroxine dose.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i'm 32 and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 years ago and have successfully lost weight twice. :) it's possible.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, suffering from hypothyroidism which was detected 2 years ago -- I don't know if I should be happy or upset (to have detected it pretty quickly or to have gotten it so early in the first place and messing my hormones!)

be happy. My thyroid was damaged by glandular fever when I was 14 but I was 26 before they worked it out, and it was hell.
  • MelClaire2000
    Options
    I'm hypo and this is just my own personal experience and opinion so . . . (*note your hypo/experiences might be different but its worth discussing right?)

IMO, the first key is making sure your levels are right with medication. Before I was diagnosed I was so lethargic I literally had to force myself to get out of bed at any point in the day and would crawl back in it at every opportunity. Once I was diagnosed I read everything I could get my hands on about it and one of the things I discovered is that many doctor/labs are still using outdated ranges for "normal" levels (0.5 – 5.0 mIU/). In fact reading through this thread it looks like a couple of you are being told that is the range for normal still by your doctors.

In other words, your doc will call and say congrats the meds you are on are working your levels are back in the normal range. You feel better, but not great. But hey your doc said you were normal range so . . . the key is to ask what your TSH number is specifically. And then note that it should be within the NEW (and they're not even that new, they are 10+ years old) range of guidelines which are much narrower...0.3 – 3.0 mIU/L If you're within this range and still feel bad, has your doctor done a full thyroid panel, many don't. They should be testing TSH, T4 and T3. Many only run TSH or TSH and T4 screens. I won't go into all the science but basically you need to make sure ALL these levels are correct.

If you are getting the proper treatment/medicine levels you should NOT be having symptoms of lethargy etc! I strongly encourage you to make sure you are getting full and proper treatment.

I'm hypo, and with proper treatment and proper levels (monitored yearly for any needed adjustments) I live a completely normal life. No excess fatigue/lethargy, normal cholesterol levels, no unexplained or stubborn weight gain, - just the normal stuff I needed to do something about from a sedentary lifestyle. I got in the gym, work out regularly now, and eat plenty to fuel my body and the fat is shredding off. I don't even think about my hypo, just take my meds and get on with my day.
  • Beavergong
    Options
    Thanks for that Mel. It explained much and I'm off to have a thyroxine blood test today. Can you believe I've been taking thyroxine for 21 years and it wasn't till I read a post some 10 days ago that I realized I should be taking my thyroxine dose 30 to 60 minutes before food. For all those years I've been taking it with breakfast. I changed as soon as I read the post(from a dr) and saw my own dr of 30 years Yesterday. He couldn't believe that I didn't know and he hadn't checked in 21 years . But the best news was today after being on the plateau for 2 months I lost 2.2lbs this week.
    Please everyone if you are taking thyroxine take it at least 30 minutes before you eat in the morning. Silly me!!!