Activity level?

Hey there. i need some help figuring out how many calories I should eat to lose weight.
I'm about 150 lbs now and I hope to be about 125 by my 21st bday in mid-February.

I'll be working out 3 days a week, for 30 minutes, doing strength training. My job also keeps me really active, as I work in fast food. I'm on my feet all day long, for about 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, running around, going up and down stairs, etc. Outside of work and my work outs though, I sit a lot, doing school, etc.

I used a calculator at Scoobysworkshop and put my activity level down as lightly active, but I'm not sure what my activity level should be at.

Replies

• nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    You might want to invest in a tracking tool. I personally use the Nike+ fuel band, though there are others like it. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. The point is that, with my wristband, I have a constant reminder that I need to maintain my exercise at a certain level. When I first set it up, I entered my personal data. Then I used my goals on MyFitnessPal to calculate how many points/calories I needed to burn for the day. Once you're disciplined to enter all your date daily, you'll start see results fast if you:

1. Keep your activity levels high
    2. Never exceed the calories you're allotted.

Hope it helps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I'd say moderately active or in between light and moderate. I'm in between both (closer to light) sitting on my butt 6-8 hours a day.
  • lroads55
    lroads55 Posts: 22
    I'd say moderately active or in between light and moderate. I'm in between both (closer to light) sitting on my butt 6-8 hours a day.

Ok, thanks :)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Definitely moderate. Set up MFP on this and see how you go.
  • lroads55
    Definitely moderate. Set up MFP on this and see how you go.
    Hey thanks, I'll do that :))
  • lroads55
    You might want to invest in a tracking tool. I personally use the Nike+ fuel band, though there are others like it. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. The point is that, with my wristband, I have a constant reminder that I need to maintain my exercise at a certain level. When I first set it up, I entered my personal data. Then I used my goals on MyFitnessPal to calculate how many points/calories I needed to burn for the day. Once you're disciplined to enter all your date daily, you'll start see results fast if you:

1. Keep your activity levels high
    2. Never exceed the calories you're allotted.

Hope it helps.

i'll definitely look into that thanks!
  • lroads55
    bump
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    If you're just using MFP's set up the activity level they want to know is job based.

Sedentary if you work a desk job, Lightly active for teachers or salespersons(on your feet all day), Active for a waitress or mailman(spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity), or very active-bike messenger or carpenter (doing physical labor).

So working in fast food I'd guess between lightly active and active then log and eat back your workouts.