Heart Rate Monitor/Calorie Counter?

Options
2»

Replies

• LehsyaR
    LehsyaR Posts: 3
    Options
    It states on the website that it is continuous, but I don't have one myself so I can't say for sure. The few reviews I've read didn't state that, but that would be a rip off if so.
  • LehsyaR
    LehsyaR Posts: 3
    Options
    Upon further research, I did find a few reviews that said both the Basis and the MIO Alpha have issues with counting heart rates during vigorous exercise, some stated the Basis stopped at anything over 150. Not cool. Seems like there are still kinks that need to be worked out. Which is unfortunate because I really want a device to track my calories burned when I'm NOT walking, hiking, jogging, etc.; I need more than a pedometer. And I do not want a strap around my chest... seems when it comes to accuracy I have no choice... for now.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4!! Polar stands behind their product! After nearly two years they replaced my chest strap and watch! Love them
    Gives accurate burn and fat burn zones!love it! It will Sync with the cardio machines! Great for exercises without a machine,like Zumba, salsa, kickboxing etc.this watch is waterproof too !

Check www.amazon.com for best prices

Best investment ever!

Good luck, Shan
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I just got an ft4 the other day and love it! The chest strap osn't bad at all, I keep forgetting I even have it on.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    the chest strap is what actually monitors your heart beat. It "talks to" the watch. You need to wear both. If you get a HRM without the chest strap your accuracy will be wayyyyy off.

I'm looking for a HRM/calorie tracker too. Thanks for clarifying that...I wasn't sure if you had to wear both at the same time, or if they were just two different kinds of trackers to choose from.
  • elbowjax
    elbowjax Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I noticed that some HRM are water resistant (up to a certain number of meters), but does that mean the chest strap is too? Does anyone swim with a HRM chest strap on?
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have a Suunto M1 (with a chest strap) and I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's simple and gets the job done.

I think Polar is more famous though.
  • MeGaga
    MeGaga Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    so concluding it,polar ft4 and ft7 are the cheapest and yet are accurate and good enough, i got it right?
    do they come together the watch and the chest strap? coz i'll be getting them online, i'm not in US or europe.
  • susanpullan98
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Polar FT7? There are some additional things it does in comparison of the FT4, but I didn't know if it still worked as well as everyone seems to think the FT4 does.
  • Mads242
    Mads242 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a pink Suunto m4 and definitely no complaints, I love it. I have set it up with my height and age so it calculates by calorie burn over a work out. It is also water proof and I have worn it swimmng with the strap. However the water interferes with the signal between the watch and the strap so it shows the instantaneous heart rate when the band and strap are both out of the water but it doesn't apply that to the whole time you swim. So after a 45 min swim it said I burnt 15 calories even though my instantaneous heart rate was 150 when I stopped.
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT4 works fine in water - I swim laps with it no worries. Just have to make sure I rinse it well otherwise the chlorine can build up which I suspect would stop it working properly eventually.
  • CherSharon
    Options
    All this info is great. I have never even thought of something like the FT4 but after reading all these posts I am going to look into it for sure. I lost 42 lbs using the Wii Fit then gained back 14 now I have lost 17 with the Fitness Pal. Wish I had known about FP before this though. LOL. Thanks everyone for sharing this info.
  • Pintado
    Pintado Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks
  • Bethany0214
    Bethany0214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I bought it because it was tech-y enough that it keeps tracks of heart rate and calories and puts each workout into a separate file on the watch, but it wasn't overly expensive. Also this was the one model I found that I liked that came in pink/purple, which for me is important because I like my stuff to be on the girly side. It has a strap, but I like that because it keeps it more accurate which is important to me as well.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar F2 (with chest strap) for the last couple of years and its served me great but I'm now looking to buy a Fitbit as I want something I can wear that will track my stats all of the time
  • choffman1298
    choffman1298 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just bought a Polar FT4 in Pink/Purple! Can't wait for it to come and start tracking all my work!

Thanks for all the information everyone!
  • ln1015
    ln1015 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a Polar F4-7 and the strap isn't bad at all however mine doesn't keep calories consistantly so I am looking for one without a strap. It amazes me they haven't come out with one without a strap that tracks HR & calories only. I don't need all the other stuff like sleep pattern and junk....