Would it really be that big of a deal if I cut my calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Haley_alyssa98
    Options
    how much more do you have to lose?

my first thought is you actually aren't eating enough :0)

I have 10 more or so to lose until I fit into that dress (I hope) and altogether I have about 48 more to go. I've lost 25 so far.

So you when you stall at 1000, you'll go lower? 800: 600? 200? No. Just no

For 10lbs you need to redo your #s and set it at 0.5lb/week loss and make sure you pick the correct activity level. also eat your exercise calories back because that's how MFP works. The formula can be found on the goals page.

the closer to goal you are/the less you have to lose, the harder and longer it will take.

You are creating huge deficits. mfp already puts you at a deficit. Creating too large a deficit is counterproductive.

I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to cut it below 1000 ever. And I need to lose more than .5 lbs a week. I don't want to take 5 years to get to my goal weight. No one else ever has told me I need to eat my calories back and I do alot a research on fitness and health. I just figure cutting the equivalent to a glass of pepsi wouldn't make that much of a negative impact.

You obviously didn't comprehend that it is going to take longer to lose those last 10lbs. And what does it matter if it is 5 months or 5 years? If you start doing unsafe things to get to your goal weight fast, you are going to end up gaining it back, especially because the scale is so unreliable in regards to tracking progress.'

In my opinion, you should focus on a body fat % goal and fitness goals.

You keep pushing your body like this, maintenance is going to be hard and you'll end up cycling back and forth with those 10lbs...if not more.

I misread. You have about 50lbs to go but you are trying to rush 10lbs. Just don't. For 50lbs, set it at 1lb/week loss. I'm at about 40-60 to go (I'm aiming more for 18-20% body fat) and it's set at 1lb/week.

Also, weight training as someone said. It sounds like you are focusing more on body recomp and that is done with a focus on strength training.

I do some strength training but I don't have the money to join a gym. I'm gonna have to go to Walmart or something and get some dumbbells.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I know 200 calories doesn't seem like a lot. But if you're already at 1200, that is not good. I have done this. I really messed my metabolism up two years ago when I cut mine below 1200. I ate 1000, and then (because I *am* an idiot) kept cutting, and cutting...I didn't lose ANYTHING.

I also was new to the idea of "eating my exercise", but I did the math for what I should be eating, and started eating at least some of my exercise. I'm now eating an average of 1600 calories a day, and I've recently broken my TWO YEAR plateau. I feel better. I'm eating. I'm treating my body right, and my body is doing what it is supposed to do -- letting go of fat for the extra I burn.

I know you're impatient. We all are...especially after the inital burst of weight loss. But if you want it to last, you have to be patient...

I promise...you don't want to do to yourself what I did...So not worth it.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Wow.... I eat 1000 calories for breakfast... usually 1800 total for the day... and STILL managing to lose fat and Inches. Doesn't that sound a lot nicer then just eatin like a lil birdie? That might be part of the problem... along with too much excersise.
  • Haley_alyssa98
    Options
    I know 200 calories doesn't seem like a lot. But if you're already at 1200, that is not good. I have done this. I really messed my metabolism up two years ago when I cut mine below 1200. I ate 1000, and then (because I *am* an idiot) kept cutting, and cutting...I didn't lose ANYTHING.

I also was new to the idea of "eating my exercise", but I did the math for what I should be eating, and started eating at least some of my exercise. I'm now eating an average of 1600 calories a day, and I've recently broken my TWO YEAR plateau. I feel better. I'm eating. I'm treating my body right, and my body is doing what it is supposed to do -- letting go of fat for the extra I burn.

I know you're impatient. We all are...especially after the inital burst of weight loss. But if you want it to last, you have to be patient...

I promise...you don't want to do to yourself what I did...So not worth it.

I guess I'll try to start eating some of the calories back and maybe that would help. :) Thanks
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    how much more do you have to lose?

my first thought is you actually aren't eating enough :0)

I have 10 more or so to lose until I fit into that dress (I hope) and altogether I have about 48 more to go. I've lost 25 so far.

So you when you stall at 1000, you'll go lower? 800: 600? 200? No. Just no

For 10lbs you need to redo your #s and set it at 0.5lb/week loss and make sure you pick the correct activity level. also eat your exercise calories back because that's how MFP works. The formula can be found on the goals page.

the closer to goal you are/the less you have to lose, the harder and longer it will take.

You are creating huge deficits. mfp already puts you at a deficit. Creating too large a deficit is counterproductive.

I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to cut it below 1000 ever. And I need to lose more than .5 lbs a week. I don't want to take 5 years to get to my goal weight. No one else ever has told me I need to eat my calories back and I do alot a research on fitness and health. I just figure cutting the equivalent to a glass of pepsi wouldn't make that much of a negative impact.

You obviously didn't comprehend that it is going to take longer to lose those last 10lbs. And what does it matter if it is 5 months or 5 years? If you start doing unsafe things to get to your goal weight fast, you are going to end up gaining it back, especially because the scale is so unreliable in regards to tracking progress.'

In my opinion, you should focus on a body fat % goal and fitness goals.

You keep pushing your body like this, maintenance is going to be hard and you'll end up cycling back and forth with those 10lbs...if not more.

I misread. You have about 50lbs to go but you are trying to rush 10lbs. Just don't. For 50lbs, set it at 1lb/week loss. I'm at about 40-60 to go (I'm aiming more for 18-20% body fat) and it's set at 1lb/week.

Also, weight training as someone said. It sounds like you are focusing more on body recomp and that is done with a focus on strength training.

I do some strength training but I don't have the money to join a gym. I'm gonna have to go to Walmart or something and get some dumbbells.

If you don't have access to equipment, look into NerdFitness (they have some free program ideas), You Are Your Own Gym ($13) and Convict Conditioning ($20??). These deal with body weight strength exercises.

Bodybuilding.com also has a lot of bodyweight exercises in their database
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I usually do 75 minutes of cardio but I'll probably go up to about 100. I was just seeing if 200 less calories would make a big of a difference since I eat pretty healthy.

If you want to get the most out of your exercise routine, I would suggest looking into adding some strength training instead of more cardio. Even doing a video using dumb bells at home can help you get some the benefits of weight lifting. Weight lifting activates muscle metabolism that will continue burning calories for hours even after you are done working out.

And I'm also seconding the idea that you may actually not be eating enough. If you are only eating 1200 calories and you are exercising this much, you are netting way less than 1000. That's hard on your metabolism and could explain the slow down in and of itself. What are you using to calculate your daily calorie requirement?

I'm using mfp to calculate it. I was just wondering if 200 calories would be THAT big of a deal but I guess it is.

Sorry, but I'm in agreement with everyone else who thinks it is a big deal. It's just that when you start cutting calories into that below 1200 range, you are entering a zone where you body has to defend itself. The only way it can do that is to lower the metabolic rate, which will result in no or very little weight loss since your body is now burning less of what you are taking in in order to compensate for the fact that you are taking less in. If this goes on long enough, it can result in lasting metabolic damage. Usually this is what people are referring to when they say they "shot their metabolism." It can take a long time for your body to recover, if it ever does. That's why people are so concerned about you lowering your calorie goal. And why so many people are telling you that you are already not eating enough -- I know that I am thinking that the situation that you originally posted may be occurring because you have already harmed your metabolism. It's not a personal attack, people are just trying to guide you away from the mistake that so many others have made before.

This is a good overview of metabolic slowdown and how it happens. It's from a bodybuilding site, but still very relevant to anyone who is trying to lose weight: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/prevent-slowing-metabolism.
    And here's another good article: http://www.burnthefat.com/metabolic_damage.html