looking for type 2 diabetics

Options
i need some help.
i'm looking for food/menu basics to help me control diabetes.
i know some things - no white flour, processed sugars, etc.
but can anyone give me a diabetic friendly sample menu or meal?

edited to add:
i'm making a grocery list and would love some ideas of diabetic friendly foods to buy.
so far i have onions and blueberries on the list.
i already have almonds, walnuts, wheat bread, brown rice, steel cut oats.

any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• shearnerve
    shearnerve Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Me as well. Though I think I have been doing pretty well.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    what helped me kick my diabetes was keeping carbs at 180grams daily for a year. and I keep it like that every day now and monitor my glucose but my A1c is 5.6 and im out of the range totally.....
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm no expert and I would say be wary of advice received on a forum such as this. A good website to check out is www.diabetes.co.uk. The forum has loads of advice from people who are living with diabetes. There are also loads of recipes.

You seem to have good basic ideas. Avoid very processed carbs - eg: white flour. Generally try to keep carbs low. Berries seem to be the best fruits for diabetics. Some root vegetables can affect some people's BS badly too.

If you have a BS monitor, check 2 hours after a meal to see which foods are spiking your BS. Everyone's different. Some can tolerate potatoes and others only have to look at them to get a BS spike!

If you are able to, keep a check to see which foods cause YOUR BS to spike.

When it comes to chocolate, the darker the better and only in small amounts of course. I never eat chocolate with less than 70% cocoa.

I'm sure that many will disagree with me but, that's my opinion. (I have Type 2 - pretty well controlled)

Good luck!
  • jsnitchler
    Options
    This is a list of foods I've collected over the years: Avocado; Barley; Broccoli is a super source of chromium, which helps regulate insulin & blood sugar; Brown Rice; Cabbage; Carrots; Chicken and Turkey; Unsaturated fats can help reduce cholesterol and provide essential fatty acid that the body needs. Fish contain omega-3 which prevents heart disease. Try eating oily fish such as trout, salmon and mackerel. It will be a lot healthier for you if you grill, bake or steam the fish. Do not add salt when cooking. Sardines, too, are a good choice. Fresh fish are best, but if you must buy tinned fish check the label to make sure the salt content is low; Cinnamon; Eggs; Flaxseed; Garlic and helps prevent cancer.; Green Beans; Lemons; Lentils; Milk; Nuts - 2-1/2 ounces a day also lower chloesterol; Oatmeal (lowers blood sugar and chloesterol); Onions and helps prevent cancer.; Peanut Butter; Salmon and helps prevent colds; ; Shellfish; Sourdough Bread; Spinach and is good for your colon.; Strawberries; Sweet Potatoes; Cholesterol.
    I have my A1C down to 5.6 after losing 55 lbs, and I also take the Herbalife product Snack Defense, that helps regulate my blood sugar levels.
  • kathyvalliere
    Options
    I have T2 diabetes and have been to see a nutritionist since I really didn't know how to eat properly either. To break it down to basics, read labels. She told me I should have between 30-45 grams of carbs per meal. Stay with green vegetables and protein. White fish (haddock, cod, talapia, tuna etc... are good as well as salmon. Eggs are good (as long as you don't have a problem with cholesteral). Watch your fruit as they contain a lot of natural sugar. I eat a lot of salads and chicken... and broiled haddock when I feel like having fish. I'm not much of a vegetable eater, never have been, but there are a few I really like, so I try to eat as much of them as I can. I have found Sara Lee 100% whole wheat bread to only have 13 grams of carbs per slice, so that is basically all the bread I use. The good thing is, even though my husband isn't a diabetic, he is eating healthier since I was diagnosed. LOL
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    all diabetics should eat the same meal plan-type one or two and I am a type 1 diabetic. Just remember to watch your carb intake, it raises sugar levels........
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    you are all so helpful!
    thanks a lot.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    anawhatsme

what does your profile name mean? I only ask because sometimes on this website I noticed people with that prefix who I've allowed on my FL turned out to be anorexics who were seeking out to support each other's dangerous habits.

apparently "ana" is a code name for them.

also, how old are you?
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    anawhatsme is word play for "what's in a name".
    no worry about anorexia here - believe me!

and i'm 38
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    what helped me kick my diabetes was keeping carbs at 180grams daily for a year. and I keep it like that every day now and monitor my glucose but my A1c is 5.6 and im out of the range totally.....

This! Exactly this!

I did the same thing. I kept meals around 40-60 grams and snacks around 15 grams. The other key is to move, especially after meals. It doesn't have to be hardcore exercise. Just move. That sleepy/sluggish feeling people get after a meal is your body wanting to burn those carbs.

My key grocery list: lettuce, spinach leaves, tomatoes, peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, spaghetti squash, avocados, arugula, pico de gallo, melons, grapes, deli turkey, fish, chicken, pork chops, eggs, yogurt, cheese (swiss & feta), peanut butter, oats, beans, black olives, tortillas, Mrs. Dash to season things and mustard.

Fresh is always best. Frozen is better. Canned is good.

ETA: I, too, was T2 Diabetic. Dr. considered me normal last year.
  • murrayhambrick
    Options
    I am T2 / Pre Diabetic. Doctor instructed me to eat like I was T2 to get my weight under control. The nutritionist has me target 35 to 45 carbs a meal. I try to eat 5 times a day about 3 hours apart. (still 3 major meals).

Vegetables make up 50% of my diet now.

1) Yellow, Zucchini, Butternut, Acorn or Spaghetti Squash are part of every meal. We love Chicken Spaghetti with Spaghetti Squash instead of pasta.
    2) Lots of Kale, Spinach, Broccoli and Spinach
    3) I often fix Peppers (bell and NM Chili) with Onions and Garlic
    4) Snacks are often Peanut Butter Sandwich's (usually on Wheat Thin bread)
    5) We eat fish twice a week minimum, usually Salmon, Trout or Halibut
    6) Pork Loin once a week
    7) Very lean Beef once a week (but we often substitute Venison or Buffalo in its place)
    8) Breakfast is usually Oatmeal but some times I eat an egg.

So far it has worked very well for me and my follow up visit with the doctor is on the 21st. :)
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking for cook books in stores and/or online?
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm not a diabetic myself, but I've read a lot about how some diabetics feel better, and some don't have to take as much medication , with a low carb, high fat diet.
    Basically it's it's no sugar, fruit, root vegetables or grains. Everything else is fine.
    But like, it's only something I've read, I have no personal experience... So, if you're interested, do your own research before trying it.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm not a diabetic myself, but I've read a lot about how some diabetics feel better, and some don't have to take as much medication , with a low carb, high fat diet.
    Basically it's it's no sugar, fruit, root vegetables or grains. Everything else is fine.
    But like, it's only something I've read, I have no personal experience... So, if you're interested, do your own research before trying it.

Type 2 here. I follow a LCHF diet
    Starting A1c was 7.3 - my last 2 have both been 5.2 and I'm no longer taking any medications

Different foods affect different people differently, so rather than relying on a generic list, it might be more helpful for you to use a glucometer and create your own index. Through testing, I've found that many of the items listed by others are not a good idea for me - brown rice, wheat bread, steel cut oats are all off the table for me. I eat no grains and only very small portions of legumes and some fruits (mostly berries and some melon)

Technique for eating to your meter:

Establish your target range for blood sugar levels.(http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045621.php) Commit to keeping your blood sugar under this level.
    Test right before eating. Log the reading.
    Test again one hour after your first bite, and log the reading along with what and how much you ate. This is assumed to be about the highest peak - the spike - from the meal.
    Test a third time two hours after your first bite. This is hoped to show your blood sugar dropping back to roughly what it was before the meal. If it is, you're showing a good second phase insulin response. If it is not, you should continue testing until you find your blood sugar beginning to drop.

Analyzing these readings along with the foods you've eaten enables you to see which foods have the worst effect on your blood sugar, so you can avoid consuming them in the future.

It's fair to give each meal a second chance, in case there could be an outside influence on the elevated reading, but after two or three experiments, it is wise to avoid or sharply restrict the foods which drastically spike your blood sugar. After several weeks of extensive testing this way, you'll have compiled a personalized list of foods you can eat safely, for the most part. Not saying things don't change, and foods which were safe at one time could become troublesome later (and thankfully, the reverse as well), but for the most part, eating to your meter is an excellent way to control diabetes and keep side effects at bay.

This can also be used to test individual foods such as fruits and things you suspect are going to spike you, but you'd like to know if perhaps you can eat small amounts.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    type 2 for 15 years. I eat high fat ,low carb. Best I have ever done. My number are in the 80-90's now. Forget bread. Unless it is homemade low carb. Easier than you think. Get CONTROL NOW. The longer you wait, the harder. Drop the sugar. Also not hard. If you like sweets, google low-carb recipes. They are out there and they are good. Take Control. It is SO much easier than you imagine. GOOD LUCK.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Type 2 here. I follow a LCHF diet
    Starting A1c was 7.3 - my last 2 have both been 5.2 and I'm no longer taking any medications

Different foods affect different people differently, so rather than relying on a generic list, it might be more helpful for you to use a glucometer and create your own index. Through testing, I've found that many of the items listed by others are not a good idea for me - brown rice, wheat bread, steel cut oats are all off the table for me. I eat no grains and only very small portions of legumes and some fruits (mostly berries and some melon)

Technique for eating to your meter:

Establish your target range for blood sugar levels.(http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045621.php) Commit to keeping your blood sugar under this level.
    Test right before eating. Log the reading.
    Test again one hour after your first bite, and log the reading along with what and how much you ate. This is assumed to be about the highest peak - the spike - from the meal.
    Test a third time two hours after your first bite. This is hoped to show your blood sugar dropping back to roughly what it was before the meal. If it is, you're showing a good second phase insulin response. If it is not, you should continue testing until you find your blood sugar beginning to drop.

Analyzing these readings along with the foods you've eaten enables you to see which foods have the worst effect on your blood sugar, so you can avoid consuming them in the future.

It's fair to give each meal a second chance, in case there could be an outside influence on the elevated reading, but after two or three experiments, it is wise to avoid or sharply restrict the foods which drastically spike your blood sugar. After several weeks of extensive testing this way, you'll have compiled a personalized list of foods you can eat safely, for the most part. Not saying things don't change, and foods which were safe at one time could become troublesome later (and thankfully, the reverse as well), but for the most part, eating to your meter is an excellent way to control diabetes and keep side effects at bay.

This can also be used to test individual foods such as fruits and things you suspect are going to spike you, but you'd like to know if perhaps you can eat small amounts.

Great post , this fits with what I have been finding doing my research into this problem- Thought I was doing pretty good but have found out my targets are still too high.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    A bunch of good info here:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is key to T2 control, but let's not forget regular exercise is equally important.

My diet consists of eggs, bacon, chicken, fish, eye of round steak, onions, apples (most other fruit spikes me bad), almonds, some potatoes, green veggies, almond milk, whey protein, fish oil, coconut oil, BCAA's, glutamine, the occasional Arnold 10 grain low-carb bread, and multi-vitamins. I try to eat Paleo, but T2 makes it hard sometimes.

I've gone from a 14% A1c to 6% in less than a year. My BG this time last year was 564 and last quarterly lab test it was 95 (fasted). I've gone from 4x 15 units of Humalog and 1x 45 units of Lantus PER DAY, to just 20 units of Lantus once per day + Metformin. I'm hoping to be <5.7% A1c and off all meds in about 6 months. An added bonus is because I do CrossFit I can tolerate the occasional treat, like a cookie or a piece of cake at a birthday party.

It's a lot of hard work and takes super-strong dedication, but it can be done. I keep my carb intake to 110-130g/day when doing CrossFit and 80-100 on rest days. I find that for me this keeps me energized for my workouts without raising my BG. But as others have said, you have to find what works for YOU. Everyone is different. Also, be sure to run any changes in your routine by your doctor. Forums are okay for advice but it's just that... advice. It's not gospel.

Good Luck.