Warning! Errors in food data base!

Options
Ugh! You might want to double check and reconfirm food item details in the mfp database. I've been loading up my sandwiches with .25 lbs of Butterball turkey pastrami because the database lists that weight at 80 calories (what a deal!!) The calories/nutrients were actually twice what was listed. No wonder I haven't been hungry! Ha!

Replies

• iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I checked, and it lists butterball turkey pastrami one serving as two ounces for 80 calories. What you have mentioned, .25 lb, is a quarter pound which is 4 ounces.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    add your own food, what your relying on are items other people have entered you can add your items yourself properly
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I checked, and it lists butterball turkey pastrami one serving as two ounces for 80 calories. What you have mentioned, .25 lb, is a quarter pound which is 4 ounces.

That is correct! I corrected the database about an hour ago to read 2 oz instead of .25 lbs so the next person wouldn't make the same mistake I've been making for a month! The listing in grams for the same product is correct also. Cheers!
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm finding a TON of wrong values I have just changed Kraft Crunchy Peanut Butter, Six Star Whey Protein Cookies and Cream, and Activia yogurt. Its a bit frustrating having to double check everything. Im wondering if some products are different in different regions?
  • iquiltoo
    Options

That is correct! I corrected the database about an hour ago to read 2 oz instead of .25 lbs so the next person wouldn't make the same mistake I've been making for a month! The listing in grams for the same product is correct also. Cheers!

Oh okay, you hadn't mentioned that you had corrected it.
  • iquiltoo
    Options
    I'm finding a TON of wrong values I have just changed Kraft Crunchy Peanut Butter, Six Star Whey Protein Cookies and Cream, and Activia yogurt. Its a bit frustrating having to double check everything. Im wondering if some products are different in different regions?

I think that some are. I see a lot of items duplicated and when I check what the difference is, often they are just duplicates, but other times I see that some have put (Canada) after them and the values are different. Which is good as I am in Canada! And others I see look like duplicates but there is a difference in serving size or difference in calories. I am not too quick to change something because there are differences in package sizes and stuff too. You can always add your version of the product, and just keep it in your My Foods and not share it with the database (thereby not clogging it up with yet another version!) Since people all over the world use this site there are going to be lots of variations. MFP also doesn't clean up the database, so it's really user beware, and add your own to your My Foods.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

I think that some are. I see a lot of items duplicated and when I check what the difference is, often they are just duplicates, but other times I see that some have put (Canada) after them and the values are different. Which is good as I am in Canada! And others I see look like duplicates but there is a difference in serving size or difference in calories. I am not too quick to change something because there are differences in package sizes and stuff too. You can always add your version of the product, and just keep it in your My Foods and not share it with the database (thereby not clogging it up with yet another version!) Since people all over the world use this site there are going to be lots of variations. MFP also doesn't clean up the database, so it's really user beware, and add your own to your My Foods.

Actually with most of the (Canada) designated items, the difference is just a serving size based in metric measurements instead of Imperial. On US packaging, standard serving sizes are usually in whole ounces (for example), with a non-round number given in grams (usually as multiples of 28 but sometimes 30 LOL!). On Canadian packaging, I've noticed the standard serving sizes are in rounder numbers of grams.

That being said, I do think some products do vary by region (especially country), more because of different regulations than differing regional tastes.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    add your own food, what your relying on are items other people have entered you can add your items yourself properly

What she said.

I always add my own food. I feel better about it :)
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I always check before I add items to my diary. Products change and people make mistakes.
  • windstar57
    windstar57 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use what the package says or try to come as close as possible with ingredients when out at a restaurant…I usually order things that I can estimate easily and does not need a lot of different ingredients.

Most deli products are 70 - 80 cal. 2 ounce serving. Cheese is usually 80-90 cals an ounce (or a slice if sliced regular).
    Keep your regular foods list handy and you can add to it knowing that your calorie count is pretty close to what it should be.

If I need to use the universal MFP list, I try to go by the most cals that are listed for that particular food, then I won't be disappointed by the scale. :)
  • liya368
    liya368 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated when I scan an item and the bar code is wrong. I don't get that. Manufacturer error?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I just get a bit frustrated, and it is my own fault, when I add something and realize that the person who input it only added calories or only added carbs. Now I try to take my time and double check against the package or website info. I will correct things that are left off occasionally though. I know McDonald's french fries have sodium, even when listed as "no salt".
  • favhrnstr
    Options
    I get frustrated when I scan an item and the bar code is wrong. I don't get that. Manufacturer error?

this^^
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    there are different variations on products, look at what you're eating, take a look at the calories and main macros, and then look it up, if you don't find one that exactly matches, just add it yourself, it takes like less than a min and then you know it's correct. When it's things like meat or something that don't have nutriton facts (especially like meat dishes or side dishes eating out or something) when you can't add the recipe yourself or something then I like to look at a bunch of the listings for the food and see what the average calories and stuff is and then choose one. this is all a lot easier to do on the app btw
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    YOu aren't warning people anything we don't already know about items in the food database, you shouldn't just go by what the MFP database sais anyway, 98% is user inputted foods which are incorrect or may vary greatly between producers, countries and alot is listed in weird measurements that dont tell you anything like 1 Slice

Yeah ok so what is the users definition of 1 slice? Food should be input in there standard weights ie GRAMS, OZ, lbs for solids and Cups/ml's for powdered or liquids not Slices, 1/8 of a pie, 1 dish, 1 serving of a homemade item.. and above all Nutrient levels, even if it's a rough guide is better then something input with just Calories and nothing else.

If the item has a * next to it, it was input by a user not MFP staff and no way in hell can we expect the staff to filter through the database and take out any invalid entries, that would take years.

• slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    YOu aren't warning people anything we don't already know about items in the food database...

I'm glad that everyone else knows. I didn't. Have a great evening!
  • cjhex
    cjhex Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've only been here a short while and I've noticed errors but usually, there are multiple entires for the same food so I quickly grab the item, check it against the right entry and add it to my meal; next time, the right one is there ready and waiting to be added.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've been scanning the barcodes if I can on most of my stuff! Love it!