Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

SOOOO...

rachso
rachso Posts: 174 Member
I just got back from the ER with a diagnosis of a torn miniscus (sp?). I'm in an immobilizer and will be starting physical therapy in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime (not only am I off work) but I can't workout of course. Dr said 2-4 weeks MINIMUM, possibly more depending on if surgery is needed. They dnt think it will be, but won't know til I start PT and have an MRI done (approx 3 weeks from now). I dnt want to blow everything I've been doing over this injury. is there any type of exercise i could do that wouldn't put weight on my knee or make it move (other than what I do at PT) but where I can get SOME form of exercise in and calories burned? I'm afraid even by watching carbs that going from fairly active to virtually no activity at all will make me gain back everything lost and more. HELP!

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Oh, I'm so sorry! I hope everything goes well with your recovery.

I'm guessing you aren't allowed to swim? A lot of disabled people do that because it doesn't stress the body as much.

What about hand weights and upper body exercises?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    Can you call your doctor's office and ask?

I had a torn meniscus for 25 years before I had the surgery, but I think it depends on the severity of the tear.

Swimming would be my best guess - when mine was not acting up I did everything normal people do. Mine would cause pain and then not, and the surgery only happened after years of wear and tear. Eventually I couldn't make the pain stop with rest anymore.

Rest is what you need right now. Rest may make the pain go away. Doesn't mean you won't need surgery - but without PT and the MRI, you won't know for sure.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    Also, weight loss is almost entirely about the food. You don't have to exercise to lose weight, so get that out of your head. :laugh:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Definitely talk to your Physical Therapist about what you can do. We don't know the extent of the tear so we shouldn't be advising you on what you can do. As long as you maintain a caloric deficit, you will continue to lose. You may have to decrease the amount your eating compared to what you have been with exercise, but you can still lose weight.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    I had a torn miniscus and even though it was not that bad I opted for surgery because over time it would continue to tear and eventually need surgery. Before surgery I was allowed to walk, no running or sports though. The day after surgery Dr had me up and walking on leg because the longer you are immobile the harder it is to recupe. Today, I am runjing, swimming, squatting, and doing what ever I like to do free of pain. Had I not had surgery I would be in pain regardless of my activity level. I am relieved I got the surgery done when I did.
  • JanetCoulter1517
    JanetCoulter1517 Posts: 9 Member
    I broke my leg last year and was in a cast for 10 weeks. I used that time to focus on my eating and I also did upper body workouts with weights. I ended up losing 8 lbs in the ten weeks. Hope you heal quickly.