Replies

• sleepy11
    sleepy11 Posts: 23
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    so maybe i should just try 1800 for a couple weeks along with my working out and being active at my job and see if i lose any inches or weight?

Always better to start on the high side, because then you can move down.

If you start on the low side, but don't know it, then going down just plateaus again. And harder, for most, to go up and have metabolism move as fast if that stressed.

If you don't understand the concepts in the spreadsheet, read the topic link also on my profile page.

If it's because you don't have Excel or Gmail account, sorry.
  • lroads55
    lroads55 Posts: 22
    Options
    so maybe i should just try 1800 for a couple weeks along with my working out and being active at my job and see if i lose any inches or weight?

Always better to start on the high side, because then you can move down.

If you start on the low side, but don't know it, then going down just plateaus again. And harder, for most, to go up and have metabolism move as fast if that stressed.

If you don't understand the concepts in the spreadsheet, read the topic link also on my profile page.

If it's because you don't have Excel or Gmail account, sorry.

I think I'm going to take a week off from dieting, keep my calories around what my TDEE is (supposedly like 2300) and then go down to like 1800, work out regularly and see how I do in a couple weeks.

I do have a gmail but I simply can't even find the spreadsheet. Perhaps I'm being an idiot -__-
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks, op! Saving for later.
  • heybales
    Options
    I think I'm going to take a week off from dieting, keep my calories around what my TDEE is (supposedly like 2300) and then go down to like 1800, work out regularly and see how I do in a couple weeks.

I do have a gmail but I simply can't even find the spreadsheet. Perhaps I'm being an idiot -__-

If you can't find it on my Profile page (in case you don't know what that is yet, click on my name or icon, it is linked in this topic.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • lroads55
    lroads55 Posts: 22
    Options

If you can't find it on my Profile page (in case you don't know what that is yet, click on my name or icon, it is linked in this topic.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

Ok, found it though it is a little confusing, lol
    Do you think taking a week and eating at maintenance would be a good idea? Maybe it'll help in case I have hit a plateau?
  • heybales
    Options

Ok, found it though it is a little confusing, lol
    Do you think taking a week and eating at maintenance would be a good idea? Maybe it'll help in case I have hit a plateau?

May even take more than a week. Depends on how stressed out your body was.

Just read down through the spreadsheet, nothing there is different than tools already used.

4 stats you have memorized.
    8 measurements you should have anyway to track progress, in this case get bodyfat estimate too.
    Goal weight.
    2 levels of daily activity hours in case more active than deskjob for 40 hrs.
    4 levels of exercise time each week, some of which may not even apply to your workout.

That's it, you just read the rest of the advice and specific instructions as to what to change where.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread. That page-1 roadmap post is amazing - laid out very well. I have no idea if it's right, but it sure sounds convincing. :)

The thing is, I am now exercising quite a bit, 5 times a week or more. I'm doing a "Couch to 10k" run three times a week, averaging about 30 minutes an outing. I swim laps twice a week, again about 30 minutes overall, I cycle twice a week (10km-15km). If I understand correctly, this already qualifies as "active" for purposes of TDEE calculation, and if that is correct, it means I'm eating about 1000 calories under what I'm "supposed" to be eating!

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that...I'm already at 2000 calories....3000 seems gut-bustingly far away...!
  • beyondmywildestdreams
    Options
    Bump!
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    bump
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kiki1127
    Kiki1127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, thanks!
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I just had fun playing with numbers...:D

For my BMR, I did both your equations as well as the link to see the diff. For the Katch-McArdle method, your formula came within 2 of the estimate by the link...not bad, hmm?

The part I'm having trouble with is the TDEE.

Here are my numbers:
    BMR (Katch-McArdle): 1585.5-1587

My activity level is currently Moderate.

This is the TDEE it gave me when I put in the same number for CURRENT & GOAL weight.

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1871
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2144
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2416
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2689
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2962

This means my TDEE is 2416? And I should be eating 1932 (2416-20%) daily ?

Or am I suppose to put in my actual GOAL weight to get the right amount of calories? This is what I'm unsure of...:)

Also, am I correct that I should be recalculating my TDEE every 5lbs lost?

Thanks for your response!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I was lucky to have found In Place of a Road Map early on in my lifestyle change. A ginormous thanks goes out to the author. It made a huge difference for me.
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi there!

For my BMR, I did both your equations as well as the link to see the diff. For the Katch-McArdle method, your formula came within 2 of the estimate by the link...not bad, hmm?

Here are my numbers:

This is the TDEE it gave me when I put in the same number for CURRENT & GOAL weight.

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2962

Or am I suppose to put in my actual GOAL weight to get the right amount of calories? This is what I'm unsure of...:)

Well, there's the rub on the fat2fit site, you don't mention if the Harris and Katch are that close, or the Katch formula given and a Katch calculator you used (which better match close I think ;-)).

fat2fit doesn't use the Katch BMR in the goal eating tables, but the Harris BMR, which could be 200-400 inflated to the Katch.

Moderate is 1.55 factor x BMR, so just do the math yourself. Appears close enough though, but wanted you to understand that site.

Also, it's using it as general TDEE calc, but to do that, must use current and goal as same weight.
    If you use real goal weight, you already get deficit, then you wouldn't take 20% off again.

You can compare, bigger deficit using the 20% method off current TDEE, not just eating at goal TDEE.

You are correct on the math though and the gross eating goal.

5lbs may be a long weight in case you lose inches and BF% but little weight, especially if starting new exercise program.

Might use the spreadsheet on my profile page too to help with this, and log your progress.
  • paucoe
    paucoe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Here are my numbers:

Well, there's the rub on the fat2fit site, you don't mention if the Harris and Katch are that close, or the Katch formula given and a Katch calculator you used (which better match close I think ;-)).

fat2fit doesn't use the Katch BMR in the goal eating tables, but the Harris BMR, which could be 200-400 inflated to the Katch.

Moderate is 1.55 factor x BMR, so just do the math yourself. Appears close enough though, but wanted you to understand that site.

Also, it's using it as general TDEE calc, but to do that, must use current and goal as same weight.
    If you use real goal weight, you already get deficit, then you wouldn't take 20% off again.

You can compare, bigger deficit using the 20% method off current TDEE, not just eating at goal TDEE.

You are correct on the math though and the gross eating goal.

5lbs may be a long weight in case you lose inches and BF% but little weight, especially if starting new exercise program.

Might use the spreadsheet on my profile page too to help with this, and log your progress.

Ahhh...I thought it was using Katch. I rechecked for you and the two are actually close.
    Harris: 1559
    Katch: 1587

Your factor x BMR (using the Katch numbers) above gave me 2457.5 which is fairly close to the 2416 I was given on fat2fit (your formula gives me 2416.45 for the Harris number so I guess they are pretty accurate!). That would give me a TDEE-20% of 1966 versus fat2fit's 1932.8, correct? So if I stick to 1900 without logging my exercise, I should be good?
  • heybales
    Options
    Ahhh...I thought it was using Katch. I rechecked for you and the two are actually close.
    Harris: 1559
    Katch: 1587

Your factor x BMR (using the Katch numbers) above gave me 2457.5 which is fairly close to the 2416 I was given on fat2fit (your formula gives me 2416.45 for the Harris number so I guess they are pretty accurate!). That would give me a TDEE-20% of 1966 versus fat2fit's 1932.8, correct? So if I stick to 1900 without logging my exercise, I should be good?

Ya, you can change the BF% to anything, and the eating goal table stays the same.

Actually, rounded wrong way, always up - 2000.

Most usually underestimate TDEE level, so up is better. Correct to eating back of exercise calories. You decide how annoying the math is if you log actual calories burned, 1 calorie, or none. It does change macro goals too.