are u americans different than us?

Options
2»

Replies

• sabrekism
    sabrekism Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I thought it was also because slower weight loss meant less loose skin?
    o

when i met 1 of the 150 + pounds weight losers who lost weight over a year and half showed me his belly and sad to tell ya ...there is loose skin...so my guess is u will have loose skin in short and long term loss.

but the good news is that the loose skin wont be so huge like everyone is predicting...its a small one and i have touched his belly and i can tell ya its an "ok" loose skin
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    The problem is that we have so many youngsters here with eating disorders and if mainstream medical providers start endorsing weight losses higher than 2 lbs a week, it leads to serious problems.

People in the USA want a magic pill. It doesn't exist.

As a result, are so many companies out there advocating huge losses and sucking people into pills and fad diets. It's important to assure people that a steady, slow loss is a better way for people to lose their weight and keep it off longterm without suffering other health problems.

Good luck on your loss!
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I don't think when it comes to dieting people differ so much from each other. We want to loose all the fat and we want to loose it as fast as possible and people can do the weirdest things for it. I am European and in Holland dietitains say loose only 5 pounds to at the max a kilo a week, everything above it is crashing. So that's not that very different from the USA.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Nothing bad will happen to you.

2lbs is just good because it is easy to follow and makes sure you are eating enough so that you don't start losing muscle.

You just want to do something that you can maintain that is good for you, losing alot of weight every week will just set you up for defeat.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of advice on this board that is more superstition than science. If your doctor wants you to lose 1-3 kg a week, than I think listening to her is probably the best bet for your situation.

For someone my size, losing 2 pounds a week is going to be a real challenge, since I don't have much left to go. Once you get down to your last 10-20 pounds, it goes really slowly.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    People who are focused on the number on the scale alone are ok with that; those who understand the importance of losing fat and maintaining muscle are not.

^^^This^^^!
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    People who are focused on the number on the scale alone are ok with that; those who understand the importance of losing fat and maintaining muscle are not.

^^^This^^^!

!!!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am convinced that where you are in the different catagories - morbidly obese ,obese or overweight determines where your doctor and you need to set your weight loss plan.

After you get to the "healthy weight range" (and some of those charts show mine to be between 125 and 175) you can do one of many things, but for me, when I got within 10 pounds of my first goal, the weight continued to come off even while on
    "the stabilizing period". I went back to the doctor to confirm a healthy weight goal, and he set it 10 pounds below the original one, and told me to just set my calories to a half pound a week. This served me well the first year of maintenance as well, and going into my second year of mainteance, I continue to adjust my macros and exercise.

It is all about where you start. And setting correct expectations, and making your "fitness plan" work for the rest of your life. And not creating a new set of health issues while solving one issue.