Time to QUIT SMOKING, any tips?

Options

Replies

• hankierat
    Options
    I tried to quit smoking for about 13 years of the 20 years that I smoked, so it is safe to say that I tried almost everything. What finally worked for me was taking Zyban/Wellbutrin- I really didn't want to do it (why not? I can't remember now) but what it did was make me feel totally sick when I had a cigarette, which cut the pleasure connection that had established in my brain. There is no way out of the misery of withdrawal than through it. I have been off cigarettes for almost 10 years now, and my life has improved in so many ways. When I smoked, all I wanted was that cigarette and no incentive was going to keep me from it. I know how hard it is to quit, which is why I intend never to pick up another cigarette again- I know for sure I will be right back into it. I never ever wanted just one cigarette, but I told myself that thousands of times. Here is my list of good things about not smoking anymore:
    1. Don't have to go outside to smoke in all kinds of weather.
    2. Don't have to hide my cigarette breath from people who think I have stopped smoking.
    3. Don't have to drive to the next town and hide behind a warehouse hoping that no one I know will see me smoking since I was supposed to have quit.
    4. No more broken promises to my husband or family about quitting.
    5. More cash in my pocket- don't cigarettes cost $8 a pack these days? That is totally insane!
    6. I can happily sit through a dinner party at a friends house without thinking of ways to get out of the house to sneak a cigarette
    7. I don't have to start a giant fight with my husband so I can storm out of the house and smoke cigarettes for an hour by myself. Behind a warehouse in the next town, see above

Of course all the heath benefits are great, but that wasn't what was motivating to me at the time because I was young and didn't feel the health problems then. Most of all my advice to you would be- once you decide to quit smoking you won't enjoy it anymore so just stick with it and get the quit overwith! Let me be a lesson to you. Quitting is miserable and there is no reason to stretch it out for 13 years, just one cigarette at a time. Just stop.
    Good luck to you, add me as a friend if you like
    Kat
  • Jani3t
    Jani3t Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi I quit in January I cut riggt back initially then when I stopped I used an electronic cigarette for 6 weeks. I did put on weight but am now working on that. I found going for a run or walking the dog a good way to beat cravings (my poor dogs legs nearly wore away they were walked so much lol) good luck and just keep going if you cave in just keep quitting!
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I had the tablets to help me quit it I haven't had a smoke for nearly 6 weeks now you can also get the patches from the doctor or you can buy these electronic cigarettes those didn't work for me but they worked for my 17 year old well he was 16 at the time he gave up smoking within a week that was 18 months ago. But what works for one person may not work for someone else there are all different types of things to use I think its just a case of trying things and see how you go of course it may take a couple of weeks for you to stop smoking but good luck in whatever path you choose. I started walking when I wanted to quit smoking so that way I was keeping myself busy but as you do night shift try some hard candy each time you feel like a smoke.:smile:
  • eslonlineteacherguy
    eslonlineteacherguy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 30 years, about 4 packs a week. One day (June 27th, 2013) I decided I needed to get healthy. I smoked the first 1/2 of my cig., threw it over the balcony, crumbled my last 3 in the pack and flush them down the toilet. Then I said, "Now what?"

I knew I needed to replace them with something healthy or I'd be irritable and blow up like an elephant. I found beachbody.com, chose the most difficult program, Insanity, and haven't looked back. I don't miss cigarettes at all!

One thing I've learned though... it's got to be the right time to quit. A time in your life that is not stressful is the best. Just a few nights ago, I went to a bar with a friend of mine. He drank beer, while I drank water. He smoked like everyone else there, I made sure we sat in front of the air conditioner so it would blow the smoke away from me. I was a happy camper.

Great luck, and congratulations on our choice to quit!!!
  • chelseachelsea1991
    chelseachelsea1991 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My mom and dad have been smokers since they were teens (now in their late 50s). They quit over a month ago when a lifelong family friend died from smoking. My parents decided to get those e-cigarette things. Apparently, those things have enough nicotine to satisfy the cravings and my parents try all the different flavored oil things to see what they like. My mom's slowly weaning off the nicotine in the oils as well. It doesn't work for everyone though-my brother still smokes while using the e-cigarette but he definitely cut down a lot.

Just a suggestion! Good for you for trying to make such a HUGELY positive life change! :flowerforyou:
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    I stopped a year and 2 months ago after smoking for 20 years - started at 10 finished @ 30!!!

I found diabetic boiled sweets helped (less sugar), when I would normally have a cigarette I had a boiled sweet, I also "pretended" I was smoking. So if I really wanted one then I breathed in the same way as I would if I was smoking - sharp intake of breath, exhale through mouth.

I had electronic cigarettes (and still do) for the rare occasion I have a drink as for me the only time I'm ever tempted now is if I drink (I probably use it once in 6 months).

I also carried a pen and held it like a cigarette when I was driving or was tempted.

Mostly it was about having sheer will power, it being the right time and really wanting to make the change, it also helps to have people around you who'll support you and stop you when all else fails.

Good luck xx
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    GOod for you for making this decision! I quit 7 years ago & haven't looked back. I quit cold turkey when I was mentally ready. I think that is key. I had quit a few times prior to this using the patch or the gum but it didn't stick because my head wasn't there yet.

When I was ready one of the things I found really helped me was using a site called Quitnet.com. you put in how much you smoke & the cost of smokes and it tells you how much money you're saving as well as how many days you've added to your life and some other neat stats. Its pretty eye opening. Plus there is a lot of helpful info on their site as well.

Best of luck to you!!
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned though... it's got to be the right time to quit.

^ ^ True that. I tried to quit smoking for years but would start back after 3 months. I can't explain what happened, but one day, I'd just had enough. My dad has emphysema, my aunt is in her final stages of lung cancer. The cost of cigarettes sky rocketed. I left my now ex-husband, a heavy smoker, and that helped a bunch. (we didn't divorce because of the smoking). I met this awesome guy (the love of my life - my husband now) and he told me he didn't like smoking and wouldn't seriously date a smoker. One day, I was driving my car and had just lit a cigarette. I put the tip out the window to ash and the wind caught it, blowing it onto the windshield of the cop car next to me. That was a $196 littering ticket. It was the last cigarette I ever smoked. Done. Cold turkey. That was 4 years ago this August.

As for not quitting during stressful times, I actually found that it helped me. I quit right after I moved out of my home and initiated divorce proceedings. Not smoking gave me something to think about other than all of that.

A few weeks after I quit, I walked into my closet and was overwhelmed by the smell. All of my clothes REEKED of smoke. NASTY. I stayed up way late that night washing absolutely everything. Funny, but after almost 20 years of smoking, I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I find it vile and disgusting.

Chew gum and take up a hobby that uses your hands, as others suggested. If you want it bad enough, it'll be easy. Good luck. :)
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I smoked one or two packs a day before quitting four years ago using an e-cig. The first few days were a little shaky but it didn't take long and wasn't as painful as cold-turkey or nicotine patches/gum.

My doctor had never seen one before. Now he is 100% pro e-cig. My lungs sound like I've never smoked. There are a lot of ways to quit, the only one that concerns me is Chantix. It works for some people but the side effects can be scary.

Good luck with whatever you do.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about Chantix.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 15 yrs. I got off of it gradually and then finally quit. The worst part was the "normal" times that I would smoke. After diner, driving to work. When those times come up change your habit. drive a different way with a cold drink or something. Walk after dinner. Go to different places than your norm.

I am now 15 yrs quit and I am glad for it! Persistence! It will get you though!
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. You may have to try several different things. The nicotine replacements didn't work for me at all, nor did exposure to sick people. Having another smoker in the house made it almost impossible for me to quit because the cigarettes were constantly available. When that changed, I threw them all out along with all the ashtrays, lighters, everything, knowing I was in for a rough ride for about a month, but it was a lot easier when the cigarettes simply weren't there. Going out to buy them was a deliberate decision I knew I wasn't going to make. If you don't have them, you can't smoke them. It really is hard to get through for the first 6 weeks or so, then it does get easier.

Good luck! You'll feel so much better once you quit.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    IMO, and I know it is hard (20 years of smoking everything quit cold turkey), it does centre on the mindset.

You can't crave what you don't want, if you don't want it then no willpower is required, no suffering, no hardship, no sense of deprivation, you really need to see that smoking has NO benefits, whatsoever. No 'It will keep me lean'. No 'It will stop me being bored'. None of those justifications that smokers go through.

So, as some will have guessed by now, I am a fan of the Allen Carr Easy Way route. Book, DVD, whatever it takes. That deprogrammed me and I can still quote it even a few years later. I couldn't actually say when I quit because it just seems like I was a different person then.

I used to trot out the usual justifications for doing it but these days I feel pity, not a yearning, when I see someone smoking.

If anyone wants a pointer to where they can get it online, message me.

My dad died from lung cancer and it didn't stop me starting the habit AFTER I watched him die. People smoke for all kinds of odd reasons, shock tactics will push some further into the habit. You HAVE to change the mindset.

Same as weight loss, whodathunkit? :)

Good luck y'all take care of yerselves.
  • g6944266047
    Options
    First of all you must want to quit smoking. Really want it. This addiction is really strong and it is comparable only to heavy drugs. So if that scared you than visit whyquit.com. That's even scarier huh? So now that you know the basics from a fellow x-smoker (I went from 4 packs to 0 cigs in one night) to a future one: Life is better without smoking. This might be hard for you to understand now but if you quit you'll be amazed what the changes are. Do not fear of some weight gain. Food kills way slower and after you have succesfully quit smoking, trust me, there won't be many things that will look difficult to tackle. So good luck and if it doesn't work with the first time take a break and try again when you feel strong enough.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was smoking longer than you've been alive and quit in the middle of losing this weight. I just did it cold turkey. Like everyone said, you have to really want to be ready to quit. Make sure you note the times, places and situations that you really really want a cigarette, so you can avoid them or change your habits when you do quit. Pick a date and TELL EVERYONE that is the day you're going to quit. When I quit, I told my daughter to come outside, when she did, I told her she was witnessing me smoke my last cigarette for the rest of my life. (Of course she didn't believe me at the time). Get some gum, mints whatever to help with the habit of smoking. I used the website www.neversmokeagain.com. It's free and if you follow it, believe in it, I think it will help. Make sure you get rid of all ashtrays, lighters and cigarettes the day you quit. If possible, avoid smokers the first couple days. I only had a hard time the first day. I also avoided alcohol for the first month because I knew that was a huge trigger for smoking for me in the past. Just make sure you prepare, prepare, and prepare some more, and then commit to it and stay with it. Once you get thru the first couple days, it's pretty easy.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    IF you have smart phone, Live strong has a free app to quit smoking: step down style and tracks craving. Helps break patterns. Also there are others. Many health care insurers provider nicotine patches, medications and counseling/ coaching for free or deep discounts.

I know it sounds weird, but don't try to stop unless you are really ready or you will fail. I started smoking at 14, quit several times over the years but got serious 2 yrs ago with live strong and smoke free since. I wish you success!
  • elizabethadkins737
    Options
    I would switch to e-cigs. They have none of the harmful chemicals (besides nicotine) and you can use these to wean yourself off of cigarettes. I personally never smoked cigarettes, I smoked a lot of hookah tobacco. The switch was easy! So convenient, my breathing problems quit altogether, and you just feel better about your body for not inhaling all those carcinogens!

There are different levels of nicotine to choose from, so you can start with a level you are comfortable with, then slowly bring the nicotine content down. They even make 0 nicotine content flavors so you can still get the habit of smoking, yet not have any nicotine.

There are TONS of flavors out there to try, including tobacco flavored ones if you're really feeling that kind of craving. It's MUCH cheaper than smoking as well.

I don't know where you live, but just search for a vapor bar in your area. They'll usually let you try for free.
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I was successful with nicotine patches with the following 12 week program.
    Week 1 - 4: 21mg nicotine patches (24hour)
    Week 5 - 9: 14mg nicotine patches (24 hour)
    Week 9 - 12: 7mg nicotine patches (24 hour).

I gave up over 10 years ago and haven't had a cigarette (nor felt like one) since.
    wishing you all the best,

Ben

I quit this way too. Four months ago to the day! I had to take the patch off at night, or I had crazy stupid realistic dreams. Also had to find the spots my skin could tolerate it and put it in a different place every day. Yes, it's expensive. But not near as expensive as a life time of smoking! Good luck!!!! This is my second quit, the first one last 4 years, and I used wellbutrin for it. Once you quit, don't EVER think you can handle just one.....it will probably lead to years of smoking again!
  • liormintz
    liormintz Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat here ..I know its bed ..I know its dumb but still can't find my willpower and decide i really want to quit. :(