Belly fat

Options
I'm 5'2 and weight 118 lbs and although I am petite I have alot of fat on my stomach and love handles since having three kids. My belly is very jiggly and I have loose skin. I look horrible in a bikini. I love my body everywhere else but I cant seem to lose this belly. I run 4 x per week and work out lifting weights. I watch my diet and eat very healthy. Any advice?

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Watch your carb intake. My belly finally got a lot smaller when I cut out processed carbs in favor of fruits and vegetables.
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also found running or even walking did nothing for belly fat. Throw in some core work outs with Pilates and lost 2 inches in my waist belly area and less jiggle in about 6 to 8 weeks doing them 20 minutes 3 to 4 times a week. Y
    you can do Pilates during commercial breaks and in 1 hour did 15 minutes ;-)
  • crystalc27
    crystalc27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with loose skin and belly flab..I know one thing for sure is that you cant spot reduce any one part of your body, lifting weights will help, you throw some cardio in your workout regimen as well. IT'S going to take hard work,dedication,time and patience..:wink:
  • goldenglow90
    goldenglow90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Same here! And I hate it when friends think I'm being silly because with clothes on I can hide it and look skinny but in a bikini it's a different story. I started doing the 30DS. I've only been doing it for a week and although there isn't much difference yet, I do feel more sucked in but still wanting to get rid of that layer of fat, especially my hips (I have a muffin top when I wear low jeans or bikini bottoms) :(
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    With you all the way on this one.
    Liking the pilates idea, currently doing a class once a week and know this isn't enough, so think I'll try the ad break idea.
    I also have (very recently) dropped bread and am hoping for results soon. (But I do miss bread :ohwell: )
  • KrisG54
    KrisG54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What is 30DS?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and weight 118 lbs and although I am petite I have alot of fat on my stomach and love handles since having three kids. My belly is very jiggly and I have loose skin. I look horrible in a bikini. I love my body everywhere else but I cant seem to lose this belly. I run 4 x per week and work out lifting weights. I watch my diet and eat very healthy. Any advice?
    What kind of weight program are you doing?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sorry but you can't spot reduce...

I would say combination of compound lifts, cardio, and eating in deficit will eventually melt it away. But fat will come off from where IT wants and not where you want it too...unfortunately.

Carbs have nothing to do with belly fat...if you are eating in a deficit fat will come off, if you are not eating in a deficit then you will add fat..
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I would say combination of compound lifts, cardio, and eating in deficit will eventually melt it away. But fat will come off from where IT wants and not where you want it too...unfortunately.

Carbs have nothing to do with belly fat...if you are eating in a deficit fat will come off, if you are not eating in a deficit then you will add fat..

This.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Watch your carb intake. My belly finally got a lot smaller when I cut out processed carbs in favor of fruits and vegetables.

Ummmmm no you just created a larger calorie deficit by eliminating a certain food group and replacing it with another...
  • CoderGal
    Options
    What is 30DS?
    It's like a cardio program lifting teeny weights. Really good for endurance and creating a calorie deficit, while adding a teeny bit of resistance. There are many programs like it. Look up HIIT (High intensity interval training). There are many others. I did Spartacus (available in mens health magazines). They are usually based on a bunch of movements in a row carrying small weights. If your goal is endurance or to be lighter, that's a great way to make a calorie deficit.

If your goal is to be firmer, HIIT can help to a point but only as far as you can get the weights up and how fast you can move them which is limited. I've switched to heavy lifting for firmness but still enjoy HIIT for the cardio aspect (funner and more challenging then the treadmill imo).
  • lmoore1006
    lmoore1006 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    nm...
  • CoderGal
    Options

This.
    seconded
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    What kind of weight program are you doing?

I think this question is important.
  • triplejsmommy
    Options
    I'm doing interval training 3x week. My weight has gone down since I started I was 121 but I definitely haven't lost on my stomach. :(
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I'm doing interval training 3x week. My weight has gone down since I started I was 121 but I definitely haven't lost on my stomach. :(

I think you would benefit from a full body program with compound moves with progressively heavier weight. It really makes a huge difference in your core.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • CoderGal
    Options

I think you would benefit from a full body program with compound moves with progressively heavier weight. It really makes a huge difference in your core.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    I cannot say this enough times. But this, this this this this...etc
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I would actually consider bulking and cutting, you are already pretty light and losing weight (including muscle) is not going to make you look tighter. Gain some weight, then reduce calories.