How important is it to take a "day off"?

Options
Hello!

I was wondering how everyone felt about taking one day off a week from exercise. I have been exercising almost every day, consistantly, and the days I don't log exercise I am often traveling and walking for miles exploring new sites. I guess what I'm saying is that while I don't always log 400 calories of cardio work, I am almost always active.

Today would be an ideal "day off." So today I have skipped my afternoon workout and I have to admit that (1) I'm bored, and (2) I'm hungry.

I'm bored because I use exercise as a way to break up my 12-hour work day (sitting at a desk), and I'm hungry because I eat back the calories (for the most part) that I burn when I work out. (My allowance without exercise is a mere 1,200 calories.)

Is it really necessary that I allow my body to rest and recover by taking a day off each week? Will working out every day hinder my weight loss? I am at my usual plateau weight and I don't want to jinx my weight loss by doing something wrong.

Replies

• nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    I always have a 'rest' day, even if I don't want to. You need one to let your body repair itself. Some people don't bother, but I know I benefit from it and I still continue to lose. By the end of the week, sometimes I'm tired and need it!! Each to their own I suppose but I would suggest you do :)
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    From what I've been reading, it appears that the down time we might take is beneficial in repairing muscle that we minutely tear up when strength training. For instance, we do push-ups and put microscopic damage to the muscles being affected. The time off is for the repair of those muscles and they repair to a stronger state. Thus, if you're only doing cardio type exercises, my unprofessional guess is that you don't have to take time off from it.

I'm currently working on "Body By You" strength exercises and it requires me to exercise one day, take the next off, exercise the next, etc. It's driving me nuts because it's not the traditional kill yourself running for hours on end to lose weight. But I am losing and getting stronger, so I"m taking those days off as suggested.

Best wishes!
  • jgetzler
    jgetzler Posts: 23
    Options
    Personally I need a rest day. I need it to repair my muscles from working out pretty hard, especially as I have gotten older. I know some people don't take rest days and that works for them. Do whatever you body is telling you to do.
  • missinesita
    missinesita Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find it necessary to take one o two days off a week. It is very good for my body as it uses those days to repair my muscles and I often discover it boosts my weight loss.
    It may seem like a waste of time and that you're hungry all the time but I assure you it will be worth it.
    Have a nice day and maybe do something different on the "workout time" like some arts and crafts :) enjoy!
  • hovercar
    hovercar Posts: 15
    Options
    Maybe on your "day off," you could focus on balance and flexibility exercises or some kind of light physical recreation: gentle yoga, slacklining, juggling, frisbee, badminton, bowling... something that lets you move, but isn't a cardio or strength "workout."

EDIT: Are you lifting weights? Building muscle helps a lot of people break through a plateau (slowly, but permanently). If you are lifting, make sure you're eating enough to support muscle growth on those days.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I feel like such a slug now, sometimes I take rest days. I don't know how important it is but when I'm sore for more than a few days in a row I'll take a break until I feel 100% (sometimes it's a day, sometimes more) and then get back to it -- my strength and stamina are always improved and my workouts are better for it. If it's right or even necessary I don't know it's just what works for me.

On the other hand, if I felt better for exercising and didn't have any soreness or fatigue I wouldn't take a rest day just because that's what I'm supposed to do -- you know? Be honest with yourself, if your body isn't showing any signs of stress keep doing what you're doing, IMO at least.
  • LisasLastTen
    LisasLastTen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I recently started Bret Contreras' "Glute Goddess Advanced Workout" (see "Strong Curves" on amazon.com). I perform weight lifting exercises four days a week. Before I started this program I lifted weights but only off and on and without a plan of any kind.

I do give my muscles a break from lifting weights. I know it's important to allow my muscle fibers to repair themselves.

I appreciate the advice. I might eat a salad (I'm not sure I can make it from 5:30 p.m. until bedtime without eating anything) and do some easy, low-level cardio work :-)

I worry if I go to bed hungry I will go crazy at the free and all-you-can-eat breakfast bar tomorrow.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, take rest days. I was very enthusiastic in the beginning and didn't take them, but once I started to I found that those days actually helped the scale move. Maybe just take a walk or do some stretching if you must but nothing strenuous.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    i dont do full on rest days...

wednesdays i only do core stabilty training so that kinda acts as a recovery day or sorts.

i will always do an 1-2 hours of cardio everyday without fail - why, because i enjoy the stress busting qualities of only having to concentrate on breathing haha~
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I recently started Bret Contreras' "Glute Goddess Advanced Workout" (see "Strong Curves" on amazon.com). I perform weight lifting exercises four days a week. Before I started this program I lifted weights but only off and on and without a plan of any kind.

I do give my muscles a break from lifting weights. I know it's important to allow my muscle fibers to repair themselves.

I appreciate the advice. I might eat a salad (I'm not sure I can make it from 5:30 p.m. until bedtime without eating anything) and do some easy, low-level cardio work :-)

I worry if I go to bed hungry I will go crazy at the free and all-you-can-eat breakfast bar tomorrow.

Oh, definitely eat more. I'm always hungrier on non-exercise days. Have you considered calculating your TDEE, and taking a percentage off of that number to create a deficit? The benefit is you'll have the same number of calories each day instead of highs you find hard to eat on exercise days and lows that leave you starving.

Here's a great post from the Eat, Train, Progress group that you might be interested in.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    If you don't feel like you need a rest day, you're not working hard enough. This is my opinion.
  • LisasLastTen
    LisasLastTen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You make a good point, GnosisGnosis. I will say that while my body gets sore from the weight-training and running, eliptical workouts feel easy and don't seem to tire me out. While eliptical training doesn't hurt, and it doesn't make me sweat like a run will, it does burn calories and seems to help maintain my cardio fitness level.

Maybe 30 minutes on the eliptical machine (and no weights) is my version of an "off day," and that's okay.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I rarely (5 times In the year, at most) take day off. Not everyday is hard core training and I probably skew my intensity to keep me from burning out. I'm a terrible procrastinator and building strong positive habits as been my first priority. Seems to work great for me.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    It really depends on definitions and diet, and how much fat you have stored up, IMO.

When I was 30% I didn't need it. But these days, when eating at a deficit I wind up doing upper body, then rest, then lower body, then a rest day, and repeat.

When eating a surplus I can do the same split but I can do the following: upper, rest, lower, rest, upper, lower, rest. Which over the course of two weeks yields and extra workout.

Usually on a rest day I will do 20 mins of speed rope, but at least once a week I do nothing strenuous. Walking all day is fine.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yes you should have at LEAST one full rest day. Your body needs time to recover. if you get regular good sleep rest (8 hours) then one day/week is fine. If your sleep patterns are off or you sleep 6 hours or less per night then you really should have two days off. Your body builds and repairs while you are resting, not exercising.

Stretching and mobility are good things to do on rest days to keep yourself from seizing up LOL.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thus, if you're only doing cardio type exercises, my unprofessional guess is that you don't have to take time off from it.

Cardio training generates a need for adaptation, which is what the rest period allows.

Rest days are essential in all training to allow consolidation of the gains made
  • nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    If you don't feel like you need a rest day, you're not working hard enough. This is my opinion.
    Totally agree with this statement