Topomax

Options

Replies

• sstillwell
    sstillwell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for a year now for headaches. In the beginning when I took 50 mg in AM AMD 50 mg in the PM, I did see positive side effects in helping me with weight loss goals but I was doing lots of other things as well like changing my diet - cut out sugars and carbs - and exercised regularly. I also experienced the bad side effects that several others mentioned. Memory loss and sluggish in the mornings to the point that I couldn't function at my job. I stopped taking my morning dose but continued to take 50 mg at night. The weight loss slowed down but I was able to function again. My neurologist wasn't happy with this but I have to be able to work. Just went back to him this week and since my headaches are coming back in the heat of the summer, I agreed to take a half dose of the 50mg in the morning. He also gave me a scrip for a tinz (spelling?) Unit and told me to use it on my neck or anywhere that I have tension that leads to my headaches.
    Last thing, BE VERY CAREFUL STOPPING this medicine suddenly since it is anti seizure

Absolutely - That is one of the things noted on the medicine - do NOT suddenly discontinue it; you must taper off, or risk inducing seizures.

I think you're talking about a TENS unit - something that electrically stimulates the nerves and can disrupt muscle spasms.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I take 50 mg in the AM and 50 in the PM. The fatigue is tolerable and getting better. The tingling in the hands and feet if left in one position too long is annoying, but tolerable, I just have to remember to keep moving them around if sitting for too long. The weight loss is a perk. I began eating better when starting back on MFP before starting the Topamax so am continuing that. I just realized the change in taste the other day when drinking seltzer water, it tasted sweet, like it was flavored. It must have something to do with the carbonation. So interesting. I appreciate everyone's input. Everyone's tolerance to medication is so different, but it's good to hear what the reactions are and what to look for, what may be normal and may not. Thanks for all you input. I now know what questions to ask for follow up with my doc!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a known medical association. Topomax didn't work for my migraines. My neurologists asked me if I'd lost any weight while on the med. I told him no, & he said that's a known association. If you lose weight on Topomax, then it generally will work for migraine prevention. If you don't lose weight, then it most likely won't work for your migraine either.

Topomax worked great for my sister's migraines, but she said it made things taste funny, especially soda (gave it a peppery taste). She also lost a significant amount of weight while on the med.
    That's really interesting! I've never heard that, but it makes sense for me. It hasn't done anything for my migraines (nothing has), and it hasn't helped my weight loss at all. The tiny bit I've lost in the last few months is all from calorie counting and working out.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Be cautious of receiving medical advice here.....DO communicate with your doc! Topamax is being used off-label for weight loss. If it is working for you, that is GREAT! Use it as a tool, and not a crutch. Use it to help get the weight off, and make lifestyle changes to keep the weight off. Best of luck to you on your journey.
  • elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed it last summer for headaches also. It does suppress your appetite. I had to force myself to eat as I'd no appetite. It did help with the headaches but The side effects didn't agree with me. I only lasted 6 weeks on it
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor, it is supposed to help with weight loss. I remember it suppressed my appetite, but I wasn't on it long enough to see a noticeable difference (I couldn't handle the side effects).
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed it for migraines but I never took it, I don't have migraines frequently so why should have to start taking something on a daily basis?

She did tell me it would help with my weight loss, but I decided in the end not to take because of the possible side effects such as seizures and I don't like taking meds.
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I took topamax for migraines and all it did was make me slow and confused. I'm on nortriptyline now.
  • MissFannyAnn
    Options
    I was on Topomax for Migraines. (I suffer from daily migraines(. For around 4 months The dosage was increased every week. Topamax is also better known as doppermax, lol. I found that my memory was shot and sometimes words would go completely out of my head.
    Also gave me bad pins and needles in my feet and hands. The worse of all i noticed my hair start to fall out but only small amount at a time.
    As others have said it didn't effect my weight one bit.

I hope the drug works for you and reduces the amount of attacks. Good Luck!
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I take topamax with inderal and nortiptyline atm (50mg bid with 60mg inderal slow release, 10 mg nortriptyline). I've been on depakote (bad results- I was COMPLETELY ZONKED) and several others for my migraines (my migraines actually mimic a seizure but aren't seizures. party time. lol).

Here's my results: the first few months, I had GREAT weight loss! like, the weight flew off! I had a hard time EATING. Food held little to no interest for me. Then, boom. It was gone. it wore off. And the weight loss reversed. Times 10. I regained everything I lost and more, of course.

So of the weight I had lost through hard work before (near 600 pounds start and was down nearly 300 of that...I lost about 50-75 through meds- and then I regained an additional 50ish pounds at that time on top of the meds. (and then i injured my back, and boom, another 50 pounds).

But I do caution you that my neurologist advised me to let him know if I start feeling ANY of the numbness or tingling, the forgetfulness or the fogginess that comes with the topamax side effects. The tiredness we've tried countering with things such as nuvigil and massive amounts of caffeine. Still working that out! But make sure to keep him in the loop:)
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I take 100 mg a day for migraines due to barometric pressure changes
    Wow! I have these too!
  • mintyjulep
    mintyjulep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Topomax along with Phentermine, and have been hesitant to take it since I have been reading mostly negative side effects have resulted. Could the sluggishness be do to not having an appetite resulting in a lack of much needed nutrients and energy rich foods?
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    *HISSES AT THE TITLE*

Oh yeah, you lose weight on Stupomax. Because you forget to eat. You forget everything. You sit around in a hazy state of fugue and forget to even take the evil medicine. And then there's the 'MAKES EVERYTHING TASTE NASTY' which helps you lose weight because you don't want to eat. And then there's the aphasia and the general confusion.

Topomax should ONLY be prescribed when meds that don't make you a drooling moron haven't worked. And the worst part? This med didn't help with my migraines or my fibro. It should NEVER be prescribed for weight loss alone. The trade-off of lost gray matter along with the weight isn't worth it.
  • nickyvw
    nickyvw Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was on it a few years back, and I lost 40 pounds! But, it made me foggy-brained, soda tasted awful, and my hair started falling out!! I also got the tingling in my hands. I hated it.
  • txin1
    txin1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed it to help get me off sodas and reduce caffeine withdrawal headaches. I only took it for 2 weeks and it worked like a charm!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Topomax is in Qsymia (as well as Phentermine) that was FDA approved this year for weight loss.

Topomax is a very serious drug, I was prescribed it years ago for migraines, while it was wonderful for those...completely took them away, only drug ever to do that. The side effects that come with its use were immense. I went from tingling hands to tingling nose (weird right?) to my brain feeling fuzzy all the time, my short term memory and ability to think quickly were hindered....I still didn't care because for the first time ever, I had NO migraines....then I asked my husband why water was running down the wall and was stopping my sentences mid-word....needless to say I was quickly taken off of them at that point. The shocking thing was that is wasn't even added to my medical chart as allergic or adverse reaction because these were all known side effects. It is actually even known as a "stupid drug" for how it makes you feel and your inability to think on it. These side effects happened over a few month time frame and came on gradually. I am not a doctor, but this is the scariest drug I have ever been prescribed and that is coming from a severe migraine sufferer, that has tried them all. No more daily meds for me, just try to avoid as many triggers as possible and if I do get one then sleep (drug induced if needed) is my way of dealing.
  • devilsdare
    devilsdare Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i personally gained weight while on it and it did not help with my migraines one bit
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I used to take it. I don't recall starting or quitting it having much of an impact on my weight, but I was excited to hear weight loss was a possible side effect, so that may be working for you.

It made my hair fall out and my migraines cured themselves when I learned how to better deal with stress (and dump one of the causes of it).
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for migraines and it didn't work very effectively...nor did I lose any weight on it... but it DID make my hair fall out (after about a month on it the hair loss was unbelievable...what we took off the vacuum roller brush SHOCKED both my husband and me)!!!
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ercarroll311,
    It made my hair fall out as well!!!! So much so, that my husband even noticed :(