Warning! Errors in food data base!

Options
13»

Replies

• Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You were the one throwing it in people's face how much busier you are than everyone. ;)

Just making the point that other people have lives and find the time to check things. You get what you give.
    It's interesting how people take things in writing. I certainly wasn't comparing myself to anyone else. I said that is easy to say but I also have...and listed my responsibilities. Those responsibilities kept me from focusing on myself for a long time, which is how I gained the weight in the first place, paying attention to all the other responsibilities, which I now still have, but am now also trying to fit in time for me to do what I need to do to be healthy. Anything that can be taken off my plate is certainly worth it. Also makes more time for fun!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    We are all still losing... Don't see the problem
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm finding a TON of wrong values I have just changed Kraft Crunchy Peanut Butter, Six Star Whey Protein Cookies and Cream, and Activia yogurt. Its a bit frustrating having to double check everything. Im wondering if some products are different in different regions?

No need to get frustrated. Like Maya said above, you are relying on other peoples entries. Scan bar codes yourself. Look up caloric values on your foods yourself. Do the leg work now and you won't have to worry about these problems later. Then when you save your own entries you can later on select the stuff you input and know its right because you did it. It may be tedious now but its well worth it.

^^This! If I look up something and it doesn't match what I have, I just input the information and use that since I know it's right.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    add your own food, what your relying on are items other people have entered you can add your items yourself properly

What she said.

I always add my own food. I feel better about it :)

i get your sentiment here, but the WHOLE REASON i chose MFP is convenience.....i don't want to spend over 10 minutes a day logging food....it is boring and time consuming.....convenience is key.
    I chose it because its a free site and it also seemed to have all of the tools I needed..even if I had to put in a little work..which is sometimes how it is with free things. :drinker:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    For an item to be added to the database, a person would have had to scan the item, it not be in the database, and they add it. They don't just automatically get added to the database based on the bar code.

Not really, I add or correct items all the time according with the package or database information. Only people with smart phones do the scanning. The rest of us use a handy PC or laptop. It can be done.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've always double checked everything I add and add my own items if needed........then once it's in my diary it's easy to choose it again and I know it's correct. You should never rely on a system that's out of your control...too easy for human error...or laziness haha
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I was craving cashews this morning so I entered FritoLay Whole Cashews salted. One entry came up and for 28 grams the numbers were correct, but since I ate 70 grams or the entire small package I chose that option and found that the program just does the multiplication for you, but it was off from the package by 1 gram of fat and 10 or so of sodium. It's not a huge deal, but that explains some of the differences that I've found.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I was talking specifically about bar code scanning. People were complaining about bar codes being wrong. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I had meant to quote the person I was talking about but it didn't work.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    add your own food, what your relying on are items other people have entered you can add your items yourself properly

What she said.

I always add my own food. I feel better about it :)
    Agreed :wink:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'd be more afraid that the numbers I am trusting MFP with are the wrong numbers and so how can i trust it if its wrong?