Scales - inconsistent

Options
Hi guys,

So, I purchased brand new Weight Watchers scales when I started this journey, almost a month ago now.

They are digital, and they have the option to switch from kg/lbs.

Anyway, I've noticed they are ridiculously inaccurate, and I wonder whether anyone else has had this issue before? For example, this morning when I got on the scales, it said I was 64.5kg, which I've been for the past 5 days without fail.

I switch it to lbs, because I want to make sure that it's reading accurately, and sure enough it gives out a false high figure. So I change it BACK to kg, and it came up with 65.7, which I know I haven't been for more than 2 weeks.

I ended up resetting the whole scale, had a shower because I got annoyed with them, and now it's coming up with 64kg - which is what I would have expected it to be. I then checked to make sure it was being accurate by getting dressed, and it still showed the same amount. I eventually grabbed a pile of washing and it registered that weight, then got back on and it had 64.15 - which makes sense as the dress I'm wearing would only be about 150grams.

So, I don't want to ditch the scales, as they are a good motivator, but are analog scales more accurate? This has driven me insane since I started this journey. It's always on a hard floor, so it's not that either.

Thanks

Replies

• alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid weigher but scales are only a best guess and you need to consider the average weights. I use TrendWeight.com (free site) which averages your daily weights and shows your general trending weight. Relieves lots of the stress and frustration from watching the scale bounce. My weight varies 5 lbs throughout everyday and I'm down to a 2 lb per month goal right now so simply stepping on the scale will never be quite enough accuracy for me to confirm I'm on the right path.
  • jgetzler
    jgetzler Posts: 23
    Options
    I have the weight watchers scale and it has never worked right. Very frustrating ,especially when you spend so much money. I ended up buying a cheaper digital scale and it seems to work fine.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    I paid out for fairly expensive digital scales with body fat analyser. They drive me nuts. I can stand on them and get one reading then 2 minutes later get a different reading! ( I was testing them out doing this btw)
    I now go more on how clothes fit.
    It's disappointing though, because I do like numbers lol
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I fight with my scale all the time. Move it around the floor, stand on it facing different directions, pick things up that should change the weight, etc. It occasionally goes on kicks where it refuses to change at all- not even by a tenth of a pound- for days. Other times it can't give me the same reading twice. I find it infuriating, but when I go read the reviews for other scales, it doesn't seem like any of them are much better. So I try not to freak out about it and just keep doing what I'm doing- eventually it seems to get back on track and my occasional doctor visits prove there's a downward trend. I do love the instant gratification of weighing at home though. Bummer :(
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have both scales and the analog scale weighs less varies from 1-2 lbs but I think mainly because the digital scale weighs down to the ounce hope this helps. I would go by your measurements more then the scale its a better indicator of your progress then he number on the scale
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

So, I purchased brand new Weight Watchers scales when I started this journey, almost a month ago now.

They are digital, and they have the option to switch from kg/lbs.

Anyway, I've noticed they are ridiculously inaccurate, and I wonder whether anyone else has had this issue before? For example, this morning when I got on the scales, it said I was 64.5kg, which I've been for the past 5 days without fail.

I switch it to lbs, because I want to make sure that it's reading accurately, and sure enough it gives out a false high figure. So I change it BACK to kg, and it came up with 65.7, which I know I haven't been for more than 2 weeks.

I ended up resetting the whole scale, had a shower because I got annoyed with them, and now it's coming up with 64kg - which is what I would have expected it to be. I then checked to make sure it was being accurate by getting dressed, and it still showed the same amount. I eventually grabbed a pile of washing and it registered that weight, then got back on and it had 64.15 - which makes sense as the dress I'm wearing would only be about 150grams.

So, I don't want to ditch the scales, as they are a good motivator, but are analog scales more accurate? This has driven me insane since I started this journey. It's always on a hard floor, so it's not that either.

Thanks
    I weigh myself allot, and my clothes do not weigh several pounds so that part not causing a change I'm not concerned with.

When you switched it to lbs did you move it to a different part of the floor?

If you get on the scale with several second increments inbetween and it fluctuates by several pounds...Your floor is not on a level hard flat surface.

The body is weird and can gain and lose weight at weird times. Scales have a standard deviation which to error. If it's fluctuating by a lb, given there are many outside factors, I would consider that pretty accurate.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think it's just the nature of the beast. Mine's even showed I "gained" weight immediately after pooping. :laugh:

I mostly go by how clothes fit and progress photos instead.
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm glad it's not just me dealing with this frustration then. I actually bought the digital one thinking it'd be a whole lot more accurate!

The bathroom is tiled, and I always place in the centre of one of the tiles so that it is always in the same spot, and not at any point where the tile grout is. Oh well! You're right, as long as overall it's a consistent downward, then that's all that matters :)
  • EniBee
    EniBee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Make sure that the battery cell is pushed in at the back. I too noticed the inconsistency with my ww scales. Every time I used the scale I open the back and push the cell firmly to the back. Otherwise you may have to change the cell.
  • vealcalf2000
    Options
    I have the same problem! It's been frustrating. I've tried to condition myself to stop getting on every few days and limit myself to once every week or once every two weeks. The downside to this? I tend to use the scale as a motivator and something that keeps me in line. Of course if the numbers are wrong it defeats the entire purpose!!! LOL!
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I tried measuring myself instead, but the only measurement that has significantly changed in 70 lbs is my waist- and I'm always worried I'm not measuring in the same place anyway. It turns out to be just as frustrating as the scale.