Are you sure you want to say that?

Options
I saw a personal trainer on here recently asking for advice on cutting carbs, not because he had any weight to lose, but in order to better advise his clients. (His profile picture was as buff as any "after" picture on here.)

Still, he was met with an onslaught of well meaning but pretty careless posts about how he could achieve his personal weight loss goals.

Being supportive is great, but it's much better if you also pay attention.

Not every situation on here can be remedied by cutting carbs, going heavy, eating clean, just being patient, looking for non-scale victories . . . all of which might be good advice in the right situation.

If I had the patience to search through threads, I'd probably find some meat head advising someone in rehab after a serious surgery to "Go big, or go home!"

End rant.

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Excellent rant. Even on some of my friends' posts I see comments by their friends that are well-meaning but show they obviously weren't really paying attention.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Reading comprehension is an important skill.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people end up ignoring the original post and end up arguing with the advice given and then it all just goes off the rails from there.

I've seen some posters try to re-direct the answers and get creamed for it.

Hey - people can't pay attention in real life, you really can't expect them to pay attention in an anonymous forum.

I'm sure there are numerous psychological studies regarding this :>)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I see it a lot in status updates too. Someone will post that have had a stomach bug all day and haven't been able to keep anything down. And someone will comment to them "Oh, you're really under your calories today. Remember, you have to eat so you don't go into starvation mode! Please eat something." Ugh.
  • kinzerbud
    kinzerbud Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I saw that same post and thought the same as you. He was very clear about what he was doing and why and yet so many responses completely missed his point. I wonder if people just get as far as the 'low carb' or 'clean eating' or whatever-word-sets-them-off and miss everything else.
    I suppose it can be entertaining at times to watch the inevitable snarkfest, but not very helpful to the OP especially in a case like that one.
    Completely off topic (I can do it,too) he *was* pretty to look at, wasn't he?? :bigsmile:
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I get it too. I've been maintaining for years - but I'm still on here because it's never going to be easy or come naturally for me. I love eating, and if I don't keep myself in check, I will do it for a hobby.

Still, on a regular basis, I get advice about how to "one day" reach my goal . . . then it just makes me wonder if I look fat in my profile picture, or even if I should drop a few more pounds. :ohwell:
This discussion has been closed.