finding out you're pregnant...probably more for the ladies

Options
OK so as any who has added me as a friend probably already know, there's a pretty good chance I could be pregnant (not planned). If I started my TOM last month when I think I did (the only time that I could have started it) then I should be starting any second now. I don't really have the 28 day cycle, but more of 26-27, and today is day 27, and still nothing, and no signs of it.

I'll test soon, but I can't seem to get it off my mind.
So I was just wandering- does this ruin all of my work, and my chances of completing all of my goals? Can I still continue to try to loose weight (not by doing anything drastic but just eating healthy, continuing to work out etc)? What all work outs can I do? and If I am pregnant, do I need to adjust my calorie intake? Right now it is set at 1800, and I am breastfeeding my almost 9mo.

Replies

• CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I probably wouldn't advise trying to lose while you're pregnant, especially since by looking at your ticker you don't have that much to lose. I'd still stick to eating as you are now, and unless you have any complications that prevent it you can definitely exercise while pregnant. It can make for an easier pregnancy and help with labor and delivery. Typically the level of exercise while pregnant depends on how kmuch exercising you were doing previously, you wouldn't want to amp up the intensity or length or your exercises.

If it turns out you're pregnant I would probably switch over to maintenance unless your doctor tells you differently. If you're eating the right foods and working out you're body will be primed to lose the weight once the new baby arrives. If you're going to continue breastfeeding while you're pregnant you may want to bump up the calories slightly to make sure you're still getting enough calories in.

Good luck!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    You probably just ovulated late, which would make your period late. I wouldn't worry for at least a week.

And no, if you are pregnant, you should not be losing weight even if doing so in a healthy manner. You can exercise, but dieting and trying to lose weight are not healthy for a growing baby. For the first trimester, you don't need to consume extra calories, though. However, you OB would have the best information for you should it turn out that you are pregnant.
  • cansnchloe
    cansnchloe Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, that is amazing! I have to tell you (yes this is true!!) I didn't find out I was pregnant with my last one until 21 weeks along. YES 21 weeks and I lost 15 pounds during those first 5 months of pregnancy through diet, exercise and Weight Watchers. I went on to gain a little over 20 pounds during the 2nd half of the pregnancy and my daughter was born a week early at 7 lbs 10 oz. I think it is perfectly reasonable to eat healthy and exercise but not excessively trying to lose weight, more for your health and the health of the baby. With my first I used pregnancy as a license to just eat everything in sight so it was refreshing to not do that this last go around.
  • Hughes39
    Options
    Oh my gosh, that is amazing! I have to tell you (yes this is true!!) I didn't find out I was pregnant with my last one until 21 weeks along. YES 21 weeks and I lost 15 pounds during those first 5 months of pregnancy through diet, exercise and Weight Watchers. I went on to gain a little over 20 pounds during the 2nd half of the pregnancy and my daughter was born a week early at 7 lbs 10 oz. I think it is perfectly reasonable to eat healthy and exercise but not excessively trying to lose weight, more for your health and the health of the baby. With my first I used pregnancy as a license to just eat everything in sight so it was refreshing to not do that this last go around.
    i did that with my first as well. gained about 80 pounds. with my 2nd, i only gained 35-40. but still too much since i was already over weight (i lost all my baby weight from my daughter, but went on the depo shot and gained it all right back).
    thats why i want to be really careful this time, if this is a "this time". i dont want to have to lose a crap load of extra weight

i already need to lose 100. (30 is just a mini goal). *sigh*
  • Your OB is not going to look at you nicely if you're losing weight while you're pregnant. The baby needs nourishment ... Dieting and pregnancy just don't go together very well. Keep up the exercise (reasonable and appropriate for whatever stage of pregnancy you're in) ... And eat healthy. I'm sure that you already know that the OB is going to want to see some gain ... That's ok. As long as you're exercising and still tracking food and exercise after that baby gets here you'll be surprised at how easy taking off the weight will be for you.

OH ... And don't get excited about all the pregnancy planning yet ... Maybe your ovulation is off a little.
  • Hughes39
    Options
    Your OB is not going to look at you nicely if you're losing weight while you're pregnant. The baby needs nourishment ... Dieting and pregnancy just don't go together very well. Keep up the exercise (reasonable and appropriate for whatever stage of pregnancy you're in) ... And eat healthy. I'm sure that you already know that the OB is going to want to see some gain ... That's ok. As long as you're exercising and still tracking food and exercise after that baby gets here you'll be surprised at how easy taking off the weight will be for you.

OH ... And don't get excited about all the pregnancy planning yet ... Maybe your ovulation is off a little.

oh no im not getting excited yet! while i love babies and my kids are my life, its not the right time for another one right now. our plan was to start trying for another in about 3 years. i wanted to be able to get to my goal weight and be happy with being "skinny" for once in my life before adding more pounds back on.
    i was simply just asking because like i said, i cant seem to get it off my mind.
  • TristaVan
    TristaVan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

If you are pregnant you can't realistically lose weight and you are just going to have to wrap your mind around that. I just had a baby and I know that maintenance is very important I gained a lot of weight when I was pregnant and had a lot of complications, I believe, because of it. Just remember that the "eating for two" is a myth. I was told you only need to eat about 300-500 calories more a day. Don't pig out, stay in that range and it will make it a whole lot easier when you want to start losing your weight again.

Good luck!
  • beccabeccac
    beccabeccac Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here. You don't want to be trying to lose weight if you're pregnant, but you do want to continue any healthy eating habits you've gained along the way. Talk to your doctor about the necessary adjustments to your caloric intake to keep the baby healthy and to allow you to continue nursing. During the first trimester, even if you're not trying to lose weight, it is common to. I lost 5 lbs. during my first trimester, but then ended up 40 over my starting weight by the time I gave birth. Also, depending on what your current weight is, the amount of weight you're recommended to gain during your pregnancy might not be much. A person of healthy weight at the start of their pregnancy is recommended to gain 25-35 lbs, but if you're quite a bit over that, your doctor might recommend that you only try to gain about 10-15 lbs. during your pregnancy.

As for exercise, I wouldn't choose now to start anything incredibly active, jarring, or high intensity. But if you're already somewhat active I would consider at least maintaining some activity, and even some strength training (if your doctor approves). I started taking a pilates class during my second month and continued until my 6th month. Then during the final 3 months I didn't do any formal classes, but I made sure to stretch every day. I would sit on a large exercise ball to keep my hips loose, and I would do the cat stretch every day (get down on all fours and arch your back up and then down).
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    Good luck, and at least you are acquiring a better, healthier lifestyle! :drinker:
  • mytmom
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight with my first pregnancy until I was 21 weeks, and I wasn't trying to watch what I was eating or anything. I just had really bad food aversions and it was hard to find something to eat. I gained 25 pounds, didn't exercise a lot, mostly just easy walking. With my second, I was way sicker, but also way hungrier! I could be barfing and planning my next meal at the same time, LOL! I gained 32 with him. What I found interesting is that I ate, craved, a naturally low carb, high protien diet with my first. After he was born, to get the weight off, I heard about and starting doing the Atkins diet, later reallizing that is how I had been eating while I was pregnant, just didn't realize it. Anyway, I'm probably not helping any, but first, find out if you are pregnant or not. Then just eat sensibly, every pregnancy is different so you don't know what it's going to be like, you may be eating everything in site like I was the second go round, or living on dill pickles, green olives and microwave popcorn, like I did for several weeks early in my first pregnancy, LOL!
  • christinafpdx
    Options
    While not losing weight, you can certainly eat healthy and stay toned with easy exercises as a lady does in my kickboxing class. it is hard to admit she is a few months pregnant & better than me :/
  • Nikki_Marz
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, dieting does not go with being pregnant, and exercise is only in moderation. Afterall, the whole point of losing weight responsibly is for it to be a lifestyle change, and that includes during pregnancy. I was lucky enough to be able to eat like normal (only ate more than my 'usual' in the last trimester), and I was on my feet working for 60 hours a week (that was my exercise). All I really did was make sure I ate healthy, and fought most of the bad cravings that you could get, and in the end I gained nearly 30 lbs with my pregnancy, but after I had my daughter, I actually weighed 15 lbs less than I did pre-pregnancy. My lifestyle at the time allowed me to be able to still technically 'lose weight' while gaining baby weight. I just couldnt see it until after she came out!
  • Hughes39
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight with my first pregnancy until I was 21 weeks, and I wasn't trying to watch what I was eating or anything. I just had really bad food aversions and it was hard to find something to eat. I gained 25 pounds, didn't exercise a lot, mostly just easy walking. With my second, I was way sicker, but also way hungrier! I could be barfing and planning my next meal at the same time, LOL! I gained 32 with him. What I found interesting is that I ate, craved, a naturally low carb, high protien diet with my first. After he was born, to get the weight off, I heard about and starting doing the Atkins diet, later reallizing that is how I had been eating while I was pregnant, just didn't realize it. Anyway, I'm probably not helping any, but first, find out if you are pregnant or not. Then just eat sensibly, every pregnancy is different so you don't know what it's going to be like, you may be eating everything in site like I was the second go round, or living on dill pickles, green olives and microwave popcorn, like I did for several weeks early in my first pregnancy, LOL!

if my TOM doesnt get here tomorrow i will test thursday morning.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    technically if you are over weight the doctor will say you have less weight to gain for a healthy mom and baby, you would likely be encouraged to gain 20lbs or slightly more instead of the closer to 30 to 35. weight loss may deprive the baby and you of nutrients necessary for proper growth and development but being pregnant is no reason not to stay active. usually they suggest you don't increase your work outs but you can maintain, there are women 7 months pregnant running marathons because they were in shape to do it before the pregnancy and maintained the conditioning safely. no matter what ask your doctor what is best since they are the ones you trust to have a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    U should prolly test in a few days.. I agree with every1 else tho, u need to up ur calorie intake to nourish ur baby(if u r preggers).. That doesnt mean u have to completly let go and eat everything in sight.. Just eat enough so ur baby can grow.. Hope all turns out well, and ull deff. hafta let us know the results of the test.. God bless and goodluck hun!!
  • Hughes39
    Options
    U should prolly test in a few days.. I agree with every1 else tho, u need to up ur calorie intake to nourish ur baby(if u r preggers).. That doesnt mean u have to completly let go and eat everything in sight.. Just eat enough so ur baby can grow.. Hope all turns out well, and ull deff. hafta let us know the results of the test.. God bless and goodluck hun!!
    your siggie looks familiar...are you from CM?