its coming off so slow... :(

Options

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It is super frustrating. Especially when you see people who can just give up soda and they instantly drop a ton of weight and you have to faithfully log in every day. However, I try to remind myself that it is better to lose slowly and keep it off than to lose a lot quickly, but gain it back because it wasn't an actual life style change.

If you feel like you should be losing faster based on your settings, try weighing and measuring all your food. Also make sure you don't have a bite here and a bite there that you don't log. I know I tend to do that, which is why I end up closer to 1 pound a week instead of the 2 I have my diary set to. Also, if you exercise you could be over estimating your burn. Try eating back only 80% of the MFP exercise calories instead of all of them.

Keep up the good work!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    WOW 43lb is FAB, :flowerforyou: and look you are also very close to the half way point which means you have done the hardest part of it and actually getting off your bottom and starting it! :wink:

now just think what you are gonna look like by xmas and get planning those parties to show off the new you!:blushing:

You have now gotta start looking into putting the "healthy" lifestyle in place for good so it will become second nature to you :happy:
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 8 months, since January and have lost 31 pounds. I am happy with that. I have been on the fad diets and lost lots of weight fast and gained it all back plus. This time I consider it a life style change and am determined to keep it off. This time I know I can lose weight and eat whatever I want to only not an unlimited amount so I am happy with the 31 pound loss. Keep up the good work and remember you are in this for the long run, not a quick fix.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Only 43 lbs in 6 months? Sorry, but I'm curious, how much would you have been happy with? Because, if I've lost 43 lbs by christmas, having come back to MFP on June 22nd, I will be the happiest person on the planet.

I know this post sounds confrontational, and I genuinely don't intend that. I'm just worried about why you can't see how amazing your achievement is and what's stopping you from being UNBELIEVABLY proud of yourself!

i don't take it confrontational at all. i am the most impatient person on the planet and you get sucked into the hype of weight loss how many commercials do you see "i lost 50 pounds in just..." insert time there etc etc then you start doubting your self then comes the comparing of you to others. i started a word doc for myself when i started this once a month i post my weight and measurements it helps me see how far i've come but i have to say this site and the support i get from all of you is what makes the difference. You all slap my butt back in line lol and give me what i need to keep going

(((hugs))) thanks all

Girl, those ads are BS and designed solely to part you from your cash!

What YOU are doing is working, it's healthy and is awesome. Promise me you're going to march to your bathroom, look at yourself in the mirror, punch the air and shout "43 POUNDS!!!!" with a stupid ear-to-ear grin on your face. I even think a wink and gun fingers is in order.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I averaged 1-2 lbs. a week over my weight loss, it all adds up... This is a lifestyle so consider it a marathon. Your in it for the long haul so try not to rush it.... You have to take a step back an analyze the fact you have lost 43 pounds!! that is great!! Think back to how you felt 43 pounds ago and how much better you are today... Best of Luck
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Also, I've lost 28 lbs in 16 weeks, that's like 1.75 a week. You didn't gain this weight over night, you gained from many years of not exercising/eating right. So it will take months for it to fall off. Also, slow and steady is what you want, you are teaching your body the correct way to live.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    "only" 43 lbs?

We all have days when the progress feels really slow. I've been having one of those weeks myself. But do the math, and you'll see that you're actually doing really, really great!!

Keep at it - there will be days when you feel on top of the world with your progress.
  • hrmom26
    hrmom26 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I started back at this around the same time you have, and have lost about half as much as you. Should I be discouraged?? Heck no! I just keep focused on myself and the progress that I have made (and not just on the scale) and celebrate all progress, no matter how small it may seem.

omg i would never want to discourage anyone else! You're right, i need to just stay focused and only look at my own road no one else's
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is exaclty what I was worried about with that other thread! Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is exaclty what I was worried about with that other thread! Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

Yep, right there with you.

OP: when I started, I lost at a faster rate. There were those on my FL who dropped it even faster (and not always in a healthy way). One of the things I did was to focus on my other fitness related accomplishments. It's so easy to get caught up in the number on the scale and not on the bigger picture.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    It really does seem to move slowly. Maybe you just need to change up your mindset. I have been here for 15 months with an 84 pound loss. When I got to a year, something really struck me. This is my lifestyle now. It doesn't matter if I lose 1 pound a week, or 50 pounds a week - I am going to eat the same way and continue to lift weights and run.

This is the new me. When I started thinking like that, it made me realize that I'm going to keep going. I'm getting healthier and that is my only goal now.

Good luck !
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Losing an average of 1.5 lbs a week is NOT slow. Congrats on your super loss!

I'm losing a lb a week and I think it's just peachy, even though at this rate it'll take me about 2 years to reach goal. A loss is always positive. As long as your health isn't failing because of your weight, this isn't a race. And honestly, I'd rather eat more and lose modestly than risk restricting too much, losing all control down the road, and be back at square one. Been there, done that, not good mentally or physically.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    There's no "only" and "43 pounds."

You're doing fantastic.

This! ^^^^^
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't know if 100 pounds is your ultimate goal or your first goal, but you're almost halfway there. Not too shabby. Besides, it's not just about the numbers, right? You're working towards being healthy for your kids and the big 4-0 (that was my motivation, too). You're doing great, and eventually, that 43 will be 53, 63, 73. It just keeps growing like magic. ;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go to the gym and pick up one of the big plates. it's 45 lbs, which is about what you've lost. now, go walk around with it for a bit. walk on the treadmill with it in your hands. see how long you last until you get tired, and uncomfortable, and out of breath.

so... what was that about only losing 43 lbs?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    i find myself looking at others who have been doing it as long and seeing them lose twice what i have and i start to get discourage ... am i alone in this? does anyone else feel this way?

I feel this way as well and it's the main reason I don't have MFP friends anymore. Though most of them didn't have a huge amount to lose, they were still posting losses on the feed while I was either stalled or gaining. Yes, it's discouraging. I admit to being pissed and jealous at people who've lost weight faster than I have. I always feel as though I've done something wrong - not eating correctly or not exercising enough, basically not putting in as much effort as I should.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Well, you could be like me and not be losing anything (for many months). I did finally make a doctor's appt, but can you imagine how discouraging?

You are losing, no matter how slow, so what you are doing is working! Just keep at it :flowerforyou:
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Only 43 lbs in 6 months? Sorry, but I'm curious, how much would you have been happy with? Because, if I've lost 43 lbs by christmas, having come back to MFP on June 22nd, I will be the happiest person on the planet.

I know this post sounds confrontational, and I genuinely don't intend that. I'm just worried about why you can't see how amazing your achievement is and what's stopping you from being UNBELIEVABLY proud of yourself!

i don't take it confrontational at all. i am the most impatient person on the planet and you get sucked into the hype of weight loss how many commercials do you see "i lost 50 pounds in just..." insert time there etc etc then you start doubting your self then comes the comparing of you to others. i started a word doc for myself when i started this once a month i post my weight and measurements it helps me see how far i've come but i have to say this site and the support i get from all of you is what makes the difference. You all slap my butt back in line lol and give me what i need to keep going

(((hugs))) thanks all
    First, congratulations on the 43 lbs!!! That's super :) It's great you started a word doc for yourself. There's also a reports section on here, where you can go and see your progress in graphs over a period of time. It'll show your food, weight, inches etc. Basically whatever you want to see and in what time frame...7 days, 30 days, 90 day etc. It's pretty great. When I get discouraged I go look at this and it really helps to see it put out that way :happy:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    No. 43 lbs is fantastic! And you are keeping it off.

In retrospect I'm really glad I lost slowly. I have none of the bad side effects of rapid weight loss. I feel strong and happy and it doesn't rule my life. And even if I never lose another ounce it is worth is just to have changed this much. Don't compare yourself to others! Hugs!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    43 pounds is an amazing accomplishment! Well done!

I like the slow. It makes me feel less pressured and angsty about weight loss. If I keep up the good work, the time will pass and the number will go down. :smile:

Keep up the excellent work!