People act funny now that Im smaller...

Options
Why is it that people are happy with your weight loss until you surpass their own weight? and then they are all OMG ur too skinny now! REALLY?:grumble: *side eye* Or that look of horror flashes on their face when you are out shopping and you are picking up the same size clothes/smaller clothes them then.

Has anyone else ever experienced this bullsh*t? This is a totally unwanted side effect of my weight loss. how do i deal with this without getting angry?

Replies

• Junie2013
    Options
    Get new friends? But seriously, you look wonderful and not too skinny - just beautiful. Your friends are behaving poorly. If they want to lose weight too, they need to work at it like you did.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Get new friends? But seriously, you look wonderful and not too skinny - just beautiful. Your friends are behaving poorly. If they want to lose weight too, they need to work at it like you did.

I obviously need to! It makes me laugh kinda but its like jeez i thought you guys would be happy for me.

Thanks hun for the compliments<3
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would care less, cause its mg body and my health. There's nothing nice about being coz you get insults too.
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ive also experienced this and although is annoying ive just brushed it off and moved on.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Pureeeee envy! I wouldn't pay too much attention to that. Just enjoy your own success!
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It shows THEIR immaturity and insecurities. It, in no way shape or form, is a reflection of you or your successes.

I've learned to stop using other people as a marker for my happiness or feeling of accomplishment. I'm not happy when someone else gives me a compliment or is happy for me. I'm happy because I love myself & am proud of what I accomplished. Doesn't really matter what society thinks. It helps me care a wholeeeee lot less about their reactions and more about the reality of MY situation. The people that truly care about me & my health are happy for me and those are the only people that I care about!

I hope you find people that support you regardless of their situation. I think you look fantastic! Wonderful job on losing weight & gaining health!
  • carollynch09
    Options
    Pureeeee envy! I wouldn't pay too much attention to that. Just enjoy your own success!

that little green monster is pretty ugly sometimes! ;)
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    If they are real friends then they are actually concerned. They might be afraid that you are going to take it too far. People don't like change and they are probably shook up about it.

If they aren't good friends then don't hang out with them.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

that little green monster is pretty ugly sometimes! ;)

I just stare back even more ugly :devil:
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a situational friend and part of the dynamic is her superiority of you being heavier than her. See how she adjusts, if she can't get over having to compete (in her mind) with you, cut her loose.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a situational friend and part of the dynamic is her superiority of you being heavier than her. See how she adjusts, if she can't get over having to compete (in her mind) with you, cut her loose.

This is exactly what I thought when I first read the post.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I wish I had bookmarked it, but when I first started here someone had a whole progress chart of the reactions of others. It was hilarious and true.

It starts with, "Have you lost weight?" Next comes, "You look great!" After that are the side eyes and the, "How much more are you planning on losing?" starts. Then comes, "You're too skinny! You look sick!" Usually you're not even at goal at that point.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I wish I had bookmarked it, but when I first started here someone had a whole progress chart of the reactions of others. It was hilarious and true.

It starts with, "Have you lost weight?" Next comes, "You look great!" After that are the side eyes and the, "How much more are you planning on losing?" starts. Then comes, "You're too skinny! You look sick!" Usually you're not even at goal at that point.

shoot i wish u ha it book marked too i would love to read that print it out n post it somewhere in my office. everyone is doing this to me. im 154 wear a size 10 jeans. im no where near tiny.
  • mstieann
    mstieann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who lost 50 lbs. The weirdest thing ever was that one day she was helping a customer who told her that she looked worse than before because her skin was starting to sag! It was absolutely unfounded because my coworker looks fine--great, in fact. I think some people just get defensive about certain things, and women tend to get especially defensive about weight.

I think you're always going to have problems with people, no matter what you look like.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Tell your friend(s) how good they look. It sets a good example and takes the focus off of you (if that's what's bothering you).
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sounding like they're taking big gulps of

aussie-haterade.gif
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    NOONE.... except my best friend ever, even seems to notice I have lost. XD

Its werid, people seem to forget to say well done sometimes.. they just go on about their own weight loss which I forgot to add, I congratulate them on and love to hear about...

so this envy thing.... I have never had, but its interesting to listen to other people and how their friends deal with it. None of my friends seem to notice at all. Would be nice to have one comment of notice by my RL peeps :)
  • VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid to call it like it is.

When they say, "Oh, you should eat more, you're too thin"...I just say, "No, you're just jealous. I follow my Dr.'s orders."

I don't tolerate sabotage...and the people in my life know this.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I've had people act funny with me and I just don't care, I expected it......I knew exactly who was going to do it and if they can't get over it, it's their problem not mine. I'm happy with where I am and where I'm headed in regards to my weight loss and they can either join me, be happy for me or get off the train.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I lost 115 lbs, and everyone said I looked great. Then, over a few years, I gained almost all of it back (which I'm trying to lose again...). The other day I got told that I look better now, because I got too skinny, and I look good with some weight on me. Really?