Exercise for Disabled people

Options
Hi-
Over the last year I got debilitating back pain and the pain eventually spread through my body. I was bedridden for a few months and am just starting to be able to tolerate more activity. My condition was so bad that I was bedridden and crying in agonizing pain day and night-for months. I lost the ability to do just about everything. Slowly (with medication) I am improving. I don't know if I will ever get back to my former level of good health, but am grateful for the improvement I have seen. Anyway, due to being unable to move for months, plus weight gain from medications, and of course some emotional eating (due to the stress, depression of being bed ridden and in constant severe pain) ...I gained 25 pounds. In the past I was very active (LOVE to exercise!) and worked out regularly. I was in good shape and at a healthy weight. Now I use a walker as I need to take many breaks to sit down when I walk. I am still not able to do many tasks of daily living. The past two days-for the first time- I took a couple of very slow walks with my walker. I was thrilled to be able to walk again even though it's very slow and I have to use a walker and take breaks. It's very important for me not to "over do" or to push myself too hard because it can cause a jump in my pain level which sends me right back to bed for the day. I'm at a point where I want to start trying activity/exercise again, but I must be extremely careful. Right now slow walking and some very light stretching seem okay. I know I need to evaluate where I'm at daily since my pain level varies. I will have to be very careful to listen to what my body tells me is okay. So, my attitude must be very different from when I exercised in the past. I can no longer (or at least not at this present time) push myself hard or push myself to my edge physically. Now the focus needs to be very gentle and there must be great awareness of how my body is accepting (or not accepting) physical activity.

So... I'm wondering if there are other people who face challenges in their abilities to perform activity/exercise...? I'd love to hear your experiences...how you cope, how you find balance in exercise (how you manage to not over do it), what exercises are helpful for you, and just generally what it's like for you to try to lose weight with your challenges?

Thank you!

Replies

• enakitty
    Options
    Really anyone dealing with physical challenges when it comes to exercising can answer this. :)
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    #1, what is your diagnosis and #2, what is your doctor's recommendation?
    I don't have any disability per se but am currently laid up post knee surgery and a bad case of elbow tendinitis.
    I am not sure of the name of this piece of exercise equipment but it like bicycle pedals that you use your upper body, perhaps that may be an option for you. I even think they have bicycle pedals you just sit on the floor and pedal away...
    Even if you can only take a few steps at a time, at least you can move a little.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to learn of your health problems. I'm not disabled but when I first started to exercise, I was 51 years old and terribly out of shape. I started with squeezy foam ball and would squeeze it in each hand, then pressing it with both hands. Next, I bought some Gold's Gym stretch bands. A pair of short ones to strengthen my arms and shoulders and long ones that helped with squats and other exercises. I was worried about overdoing it and hurting my joints. I found that the bands provided good resistance, but then assisted on the return movement. Other things could be air boxing, light weight lifting.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I don't have a physical disability, but I applaud you for getting out of bed and doing what you can. Has your doctor indicated what level of exercise is appropriate for you? Can you ask for a referral to a physical therapist who can work with you to develop a home exercise program? An occupational therapist could also help you with ways to adapt self care and household activities so that they take up less of your energy. Lastly, maybe start a journal where you write down what kind of exercise you do, how many repetitions you do, how far you walk etc. Then you can try to do one more rep, or ten more feet the next day. Don't forget to give yourself rest and recovery days. Good luck, and keep us posted.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There's a guy at my gym who has cerebral palsy and walks with the aid of crutches. He absolutely kills it on the upper body free weights! He inspires me, and today he told me, "You sure work hard." That meant a lot to me.

He is a great example of the fact that you have to start where you're at and work hard. There's always something we can do.

Edited to add: I first started working out by going to water aerobics. The Y here has a very active "Silver Sneakers" program and they all attended water aerobics religiously. You'd be surprised at how hard it is, and it was actually very fun to do it with a bunch of 65 - 85 year olds. They cracked me up. :smile:
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge Richard Simmons fan....he has a video called Sit Tight! It's super low impact and is made to be done sitting which would be a good transitionary workout for you from total sedentary.
  • enakitty
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your experiences !
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Chair exercises may be an option for you. Here are some websites to check out:

http://www.livestrong.com/chair-exercises/
    http://www.fitmoves.com/chair-exercises.htm

Or just Google "chair exercises"

Best of luck to you.

-Deb
  • enakitty
    Options
    I'm a huge Richard Simmons fan....he has a video called Sit Tight! It's super low impact and is made to be done sitting which would be a good transitionary workout for you from total sedentary.

Thanks!
  • enakitty
    Options
    Love the Richard Simmons and chair exercise ideas! Thanks!!
  • enakitty
    Options
    Chair exercises may be an option for you. Here are some websites to check out:

http://www.livestrong.com/chair-exercises/
    http://www.fitmoves.com/chair-exercises.htm

Or just Google "chair exercises"

Best of luck to you.

-Deb

I will definitely check these out-thanks!
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Like someone suggested above see if you can get referred to a physical therapist (assuming your insurance covers it or you can afford it otherwise). I had 6 weeks of Physical Therapy for Tendonitis in my Achilles tendon and PT worked out very well for me and I saw a lot of people with varying circumstances and difficulties learning acitivities that I was never aware of to help strengthen the body. To this day I wish I had a wobble board and rebounder with a medicine ball set. Most fun exercise ever but I don't want to spend $450 for all that equipment.
  • enakitty
    Options
    I just found this chair yoga class. Looks good. Looking forward to trying it. I thought I'd post the link in case anyone else needs some very easy/gentle exercise like I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfwsGu6seCA
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am 68 years old today. I signed up with MFP to help me record my daily calorie intake, but I found more...a wonderful, supportive group of friends. You see, this is a unique group of folks; and some of us are handicapped.

I have degenerative arthiritis in both my knees and was told by my surgeon that I had to lose 70 pounds to qualify for double knee replacement surgery. I can barely stand with a walker and take a few painful steps in my home to the bathroom. The rest of the time, I am either in my wheelchair or desk chair. Most folks would think that I was going to have trouble losing that weight, because I cannot exercise...but they would be wrong.

I count my calories and have maintained a very low calorie food plan, under the supervision of my doctors. I found an excellent DVD called Sit and Fit which gives me some gentle, low impact exercises for my age and ability. I worked out for 30 minutes each day (most days) to help with my upper body and torso. My surgeon insists that I do no exercise using my knees at this time, as I have no cushion; and the bone head have numerous, small fractures. However, that doesn't stop me from using little, pink, one pound weights and working the upper part of my chubby self. I don't want to end up with bat wings under my arms, when the weight come off. :happy:

Yes, being in a wheelchair and limited to a walker is a royal pain; but it is no excuse for staying overweight. I have goals for myself that include standing, walking and even riding a bicycle with my hubbie. I don't want to spent the rest of my life as a crippled, old lady...stuck in a chair, when I can get the surgery to restore my mobility. The only thing that is stopping me is my weight and willingness to commit to less food and a little bit of exercise.

I know that you are in pain, but that doesn't have to stop you from losing weight and increasing your level of strength and mobility. Go at a pace that won't put you into too much discomfort. Even mild range of motion will help in the beginning. Believe me, I haven't done any real exercise in years; and my arms let me know it, after just a day or two of upper body working out. Those little weights felt heavy, but I stayed committed...even with a little bit of pain. You will know what you can tolerate. Your body will tell you.

In the meantime, set yourself some goals...big and little. It has only been a bit over 2 months, since I started; and I have lost 25 pounds and reached some small milestones (mini goals) which I set for myself. My big goal is that 70 pound mark and my new knees, but my next mini goal is 235 pounds...the half way mark. I have lots of people cheering me on and so will you.

Get yourself some supportive MFP friends. I would be delighted to be one of them, to encourage you and celebrate your victories...and even lift you up, when you feel discouraged or hurting. That's what we are here to do...help each other. :heart:
  • enakitty
    Options
    Thanks and congrats on reaching your goals along the way to the big goal! :)
  • Elleacive
    Options
    I too suffer from back pain but today I am MUCH improved from where I once was. I spent 2 years in physical therapy, had a pain med addiction, couldn't walk, couldn't carry anything= total nightmare. Had surgery on my worst areas (degenerative disk disease... had the 3 discs that were pretty much disintegrated taken out... but I have several more that have "issues"). I love walking... and I LOVE stretching. I would suggest P90X StretchX but make sure it's ok with your doctor. I'm 24 years old and stretching has helped me feel less like a 70 year old with horrible back pain... and now like a 24 year old with minor back pain.

Also, don't discount swimming!
  • Danimar53
    Options
    I have cerebral palsy down one side (my left). When I was young i was pretty fit, I used to love dancing, but when I reached my thirties, things started to go wrong. I ended up in a wheelchair and between medication and the lack of exercise, I put on a lot of weight (70lbs). I was getting into exercise again when I had a bad fall and tore all my ligaments in my good shoulder. Now I find if i use my arm a lot i get pain in my arm and shoulder. I've been trying to use resistance bands, but I read they are useless for losing weight. Swimming is out, I had a bad experience in a pool some years ago that put me of swimming for life. Has anyone got any ideas on exercise that are low impact.
  • arielkaylou
    arielkaylou Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My husband was in a carwreck and paralyzed from the thighs down.. He lifts weights still, and in September we are starting Body Beast (minus the leg workouts). His doctor told him not to lift more than 10 lbs since he would have to lift with his back (his back was broken in 3 places), but if he lays on his back or lifts with his arms and not his back, he's fine. Of course, he doesn't listen to a thing the doc says