No motivation at all, what motivates you?

Options
This July that just past i tried to find my motivation in order to go on but i gain 3 kilos.Still want to lose but nothing seems to motivate me at all. I watched the Biggest Loser, i read articles, i read success stories and still nothing seems to work. I try to find something inspiring and still nothing. I want to do things but something stops me,this feeling always stops me. I have movies with fitness exercise and still nothing, just watch them. Nothing motivates me to stand up and starting moving. I tried so hard to love exercise and i end up hating more. Whats wrong with me? what do i need to do? and i'll do it right away. I don't want to take baby steps that they have no result, i need big steps and right away. So guys am asking you, what motivates you? why you want to do this? Personally, i do not know.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start small. Find something you enjoy, like tennis or long walks on the beach (yes I just said that!). I also hate exercise. It's never been my friend. In July I started walking at my local park, which is set along a river. I walk along the river now, everyday, for 3.5 miles. It's good exercise, it clears my head and I feel a whole lot happier. You just need to find your happy place. So go try new things and keep trying them until you find the one that you truly enjoy.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    There just has to come a time in your life where you are tired of living the way you are living, tired of yoyo dieting, tired of being overweight and when that time comes you commit to changing your life. This means no more quick fixes or trying to get fast results, you just commit to the process for the rest of your life and get to work... It has less to do about motivation and more to do about wanting it more than the way you have been living. When that happens then you just do it.... There are days I just hate the idea of working out, or prepping my food, or etc...... but this is my life now so I just get to it..... Best of Luck
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    When I did a lot of sports one of the things that motivated me the most was the great feeling of achievement of getting better at something.

At some stage I couldn't run a mile, hadn't cycled in years and couldn't swim at all, in fact I was deep-water-phobic!!
    I ended up doing triathlons. The motivation was that I could! The fantastic feeling when you cross the finish line.

Things I love about running is the smell of forest trail after rain, listening to the birds, just feeling fit and free. We love cycling, being out in the countryside.

I see a lot of people motivated by negative things, largely women wanting to be hated or envied by other women. I think that's a bit sad.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i can't deadlift 500lbs yet
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Not having a heart attack at 46 like my mother and grand mother.

And I had to deal with high blood pressure and diabetes because of pregnancy........having a taste of how it feel to be sick is a great motivation.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    This July that just past i tried to find my motivation in order to go on but i gain 3 kilos.Still want to lose but nothing seems to motivate me at all. I watched the Biggest Loser, i read articles, i read success stories and still nothing seems to work. I try to find something inspiring and still nothing. I want to do things but something stops me,this feeling always stops me. I have movies with fitness exercise and still nothing, just watch them. Nothing motivates me to stand up and starting moving. I tried so hard to love exercise and i end up hating more. Whats wrong with me? what do i need to do? and i'll do it right away. I don't want to take baby steps that they have no result, i need big steps and right away. So guys am asking you, what motivates you? why you want to do this? Personally, i do not know.

It sounds like you want to want to exercise.

You don't want it right now.

That's my motivation. I want it.

Eta, honestly, motivation is overrated. If you can only do things you are motivated to do you have a bigger problem than not exercising.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I guess your first step is to figure out exactly why you want to change your lifestyle and get a very specific goal. Not just " be stronger" but " to DeadLifts your body weight." ... Not just "have more endurance" but "be able to run up 4 flights of stairs with out feeling like my heart will burst and seeing spots."

Then make a specific plan to meet your specific goal.

Well, that's my advice, because it works for me. Having specific details.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I do this to lose some weight, to feel and look better, to have more strngth and stamina, to be able to do the farm work more easily, because it works, because it's fun and it isn't difficult, and the biggie, because I want to.
  • dwithbenefithfc
    Options
    Internal dialogue effects external performance / outcome.
    Wake up and tell yourself I'm doing it today. A magazine, book or photo isn't going to help you if you don't want to help you. WANT it first then DO IT. Not because you think you have to but because YOU WANT TO.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Being awesome feels really good, so I'd like to keep it up. I'm intrinsically motivated, so material things and other people don't motivate me at all. Maybe it's a pride thing? I want what I want - and that's health, fitness and general awesomeness. So I make it a priority and I go get it. :flowerforyou:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Eta, honestly, motivation is overrated. If you can only do things you are motivated to do you have a bigger problem than not exercising.

Good point, well made. :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's not like you lost your keys or something, and are trying to find them. motivation comes from within.

yes, you can be inspired by someone elses success story, or a motivational quote, or some you tube video, or a pretty picture. but motivation is something that you have to dig down and find in yourself.

what helps keep me focused are signing up for races. it's a pretty strong thing, shelling out some money for a race, and having to be ready on a specific date. exercising stops being about losing weight, and more about performance.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    If you can't muster up the wherewithal to even go for a walk, then honestly you don't want to lose weight badly enough.

"Tell me what to do and I'll do it." - Well, if you really mean that, then start walking a half an hour a day every day along with weighing, measuring, and logging your food daily. Doesn't matter if you don't want to...I don't want to most days, either, but when I don't I gain weight and feel like *kitten*. I'd rather feel good about myself as much as possible than feel like *kitten*, so I get it done.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to be motivated, honestly. I learned that back in June when the majority of my motivation to lose weight went out the window. I just kept going anyway, because motivation or not, I still need to lose the weight. If you can't bring yourself to exercise right now, focus on your diet. And get rid of the all or nothing mentality. It's a surefire way to never accomplish anything.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Health. All male members (paternal side) of my family have perished before age 60, due to visceral fat.

Ego. I want to be strong enough, fast enough, durable enough, and capable to go long enough for X activities.

Vanity. To please my woman, she knows who she is. She deserves a decent looking guy who takes care of himself.

I don't have motivation. I have habit. Many days, I don't feel like getting started (I'm doing a doubles program of Insanity and Chalean Extreme, so that's twice daily exercise for six days a week!). Pfft, I do it anyways. And relish in the feeling that I finished. Even a half-assed workout is better than none.

Sometimes, you gotta hit rock bottom before you get up. I know I did.
  • AllisonPenrod
    Options
    You have to figure out why you want to change your lifestyle. Set little goals to start reaching for to reach it. As for motivation...I'm using the want to make it into the Navy as my motivation. and that's what I get up and walk every day for. that's my ultimate goal.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    honestly, motivation is overrated. If you can only do things you are motivated to do you have a bigger problem than not exercising.

QFT
    Doing, or not doing, something is a habit. How motivated one needs to be to do dishes?
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My motivation is telling myself that today I am going to go workout and know what time I will go...I do not let myself schedule anything during that time and I have to physically go get my car keys, walk to my car and drive to the gym..I know that sounds crazy but that is where it is the hardest to find my motivation...after I do that, I am good! I normally feel so much better after I just get there and I stay and do my workout, I do not let myself cheat because I am tired, I can rest later...Good luck! Wish you the best!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This will never work if you don't want to do the baby steps and need big steps right away. Get with the baby steps!

Determination trumps motivation every time. Just do it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to be fat anymore.

I didn't want to feel like crying every time I had to go shopping for clothes.

I hated wearing holes in the thighs of my pants.

I begged hubby to buy me a gym membership because I knew I could do it if I had the tools. I also knew that if I stopped going in a month or so, I would hear about it for the next TEN years.

So I went to the gym, and the staff was super friendly. Within a few months, the (really cute) trainer was telling me he noticed how hard I was working. Then he started giving me the occasional guidance on ways to mix up my routine. I also did things like load e-books onto my smartphone or kindle, and ONLY allow myself to read them while I was on the treadmill. Or buy myself something little, like some cute socks, or a new pair of running shorts, for every 5 pounds I lost.

After a year of going to the gym religiously, I rewarded myself with 6 sessions with the cute trainer...then 6 more...and now 6 months later I am doing things at the gym that I NEVER would have thought I could do. Things that make some of the weightlifters look at me with eyes as big as saucers ( like doing battle ropes balanced on 2 BOSU balls).

THAT is what drives me :D