Diet Soda!!

Options

Replies

• Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I probably drink an extreme amount of diet coke (8-10 cans a day) mostly due to the fact that it is free in my lab; Yes, coffee and tea are also free, but I like the acidic taste/feel of soda. (Frankly, the main reason I drink it and not coffee is that whenever I drink coffee I really want a cigarette and I haven't smoked in 20+ years and don't intend to start again.) I did quit drinking diet soda for 4-5 months in the past however and I didn't really see any weight loss/gain associated with it. ( NOTE: When I went from regular coke to diet coke I saw a HUGE drop of almost 40lbs in 2 months.) My work also offers juices and 'energy drinks' but the caloric impact of that garbage is too much; I'd rather eat the fruit as a treat and dump the energy drink.
  • luvmyfitbit
    luvmyfitbit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I stopped for over a week last year and I had no weight loss. I love my diet soda so I went right back to it.
    :smile:
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Actually pyrowill, it does affect your weight loss! Basically, substitute sweeteners (such as aspartame, splenda, etc.), slow down your metabolism AND cause you to eat more by tricking your body into thinking you're not as full as you really are. I don't have any links to prove that off the top of my head but if you joogle it ;-) then you'll be sure to find many, many, studies that conclude the same. Check the News search too.

Cheers, and good luck!!!

Nope.
  • lancashiregirl
    Options
    I just noticed there is a link between me drinking diet coke and overeating. I don't know what but there is a definite link. So I won't be having any more of that!
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would rather have the regular pepsi or mountain dew honestly. It doesn't hurt or help my weight loss. It's all in the math and the deficits that help me. I drank diet once upon a time...I did find that I ate a lot more than I normally would.
  • urbanplum
    urbanplum Posts: 188
    Options
    Can't say what it's done for my weight loss, although I do drink more water now that I drink less soda.

I went from drinking a 20 can case per week of Diet Coke to 2 cans a week. My blood pressure has dropped from 132/91 to 110/69. That alone is worth it to me. Caffeine in excess is bad news for your BP.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I had SERIOUS diet coke habit. When I decided it was time to start taking better care of myself (including losing weight), I knew I had to cut out the diet coke. I should mention that my office keeps a fridge full of soda that we can drink for free so it was easy to drink 2-3 a day.

Anyway, I started limiting myself to one a day for a few weeks. I started drinking a lot of Topo Chico mineral water because I loved the fizzy. After about a week I started noticing that I wasn't even finishing the one can a day so I stopped. As of today it's been two weeks since I've drank any diet coke.

I have made a lot of changes to my diet in the last month but that was one of the hardest ones for me. I buy mineral water and lemon la croix and keep it at home and at work so when I feel the need for something fizzy. It was a hard habit to break but I'm so glad I did it!

Great job! I had a huge diet coke fix too.... had to go cold turkey though when I shipped to basic training. After I finished... i couldn't stand the taste! couldn't even finish one can!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I cannot attribute it to weight loss, but I can tell you that stopping them does wonders for decreasing my arthritis, crohn's and fibro symptoms. I know personally diet sodas caused crohn's symptoms for me that left when I quit drinking them, completely left, my doctor is amazed and I am no longer having to take meds for crohn's (and those meds were expensive).
  • jc31388
    jc31388 Posts: 11
    Options
    Diet Soda!!! NOM NOM NOM BLECK ACK BLECK nasty. Great idea but it really makes me want a regular soda more. It curves my cravings for regular drinks but luckily for me i can be satisfied with juice how ever some times i just got to have a pepsi.
  • jelly5454
    jelly5454 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know it's bad and don't drink more than a can or so a day, but I feel like drinking it psychologically helps me
    in the I'm being good and not drinking the drinks I usually would.
  • blessedmomof3girls
    blessedmomof3girls Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do believe everything in moderation. Although I do find that the components in diet soda can be a neurotoxin a little disturbing :noway:

http://kimberlysnyder.net/blog/2011/12/01/8-dangers-of-diet-soda/
  • CrudeKitten
    CrudeKitten Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me too. I drank 5-7 cans a day. I would get migraines a lot bc I would go to work and lets say, only have three that day. Lol. I got a free sodastream maker, so I fully commited to switching to that and not buying any cans of soda....bc I was in love with diet coke, I HATED their diet cola....so I was drinking a little bit of their other diet stuff, but I didnt like very much and it was jusk OK....that made me wean off soda completely. I would make 20 oz, then 16, 16, 14, 12, 8, 8, etc. Until I got off it completely with no migraines. I am now off it about two months and I love myself! People have noticed that I have been 'glowing' (I started losing weight July 1, so the glow was probably a combo of both). I dont know if I lost any weight from it bc I would not weigh myself back then. Lol. I am now in the healthiest shape of my life from eating right (except today. I splurged on beef and noodles. Lol) and working out and drinking only water. :-) I know its hard, but its an amazing accomplishment to get off of it when you are such a die hard fan like I was. Congrats!!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Actually pyrowill, it does affect your weight loss! Basically, substitute sweeteners (such as aspartame, splenda, etc.), slow down your metabolism AND cause you to eat more by tricking your body into thinking you're not as full as you really are. I don't have any links to prove that off the top of my head but if you joogle it ;-) then you'll be sure to find many, many, studies that conclude the same. Check the News search too.

Cheers, and good luck!!!

Not even remotely true.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Cheers, and good luck!!!

I'll take old wives tales for $500 Alex.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-4 cans a day. I seem to be doing OK.
  • anatolian9
    anatolian9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Even if you dont gain weight from it theyre not good for you. you need to drink a gallon of water a day...
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    There is no proof that diet soda is not good for you. Drink some if you want to.
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Not really since it doesn't directly affect your weight loss. However personally I find it makes me make other bad choices that does affect my weight loss. Cutting it out can only be a good thing. Unless its something you 'need' to help keep the other things in check.

I agree! I drink it every once in a while, 1-2 times a week if that. When I do drink it I find that I crave certain foods that otherwise I would want. I will stick to my one cup of coffee every morning :)
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking diet soda entirely when I decided to get serious about shedding weight. I don't have any numbers to give you for weight loss, but:

1. My nearly constant heartburn cleared up.
    2. I've shed 22 lbs, although I've also cleaned up my diet considerably.
    3. My blood pressure has dropped to a more normal range.
    4. I don't get daily headaches.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Has anybody had any weight loss success which they can attribute to stopping drinking this?
    I am fully aware of how bad it is for me and how terrible the chemicals must be for my body but I am finding it very hard to stop my habit.
    I Would love to hear stories from others who feel better, cleaner and leaner after stopping drinking diet drinks.

Since they make me CRAVE sugar I stay away from them. I also quit having restless legs when I stopped drinking them.