Walking over running

Options
I'm just curious as to how people are going with their weight loss journey, especially if they choose to walk instead of run/jog. I broke my ankle last year and since then i have stuck to walking, brisk/fast walking, my ankle still plays up a bit if i try and run and don't want to do anything that may cause more damage. I normally use my treadmill on an incline, especially right now as we are in the middle of winter. But i have always much preferred walking myself, and am also doing a small amount of circuit training 5 days a week too (at home as don't have a gym membership), am going to start the 30 day shred as well. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    walking is working for me, Like yourself I can't run due to a back injury. I'm 7 weeks in and 7 pounds down, I am up to 40k a week walking now :)
  • hayley372
    hayley372 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yay, i'm so happy it's working for you, it seemed to be good for me for the first couple of weeks but i haven't seemed to lose any weight the last 2 weeks, i have just taken some pics and measurements though to see if i spot a difference in another couple of weeks too. Not sure how many kms i doing at the mo as my treadmill only shows me my speed and time, am currently downloading a pedometer to my phone so hopefully that helps me :smile:
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Walking is great and if you add pedometer to it then it really becomes a serious business. 10000 steps a day is very good start and if you keep going over that your fitness will improve and weight will start going down.
  • enigrebua
    enigrebua Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I started my own dog walking business 18 months ago, and in that time (with virtually no diet change - I have an average diet, I pretty much eat what I want in small portions) I have lost 38lbs and 5-6 inches on my waist. I walk about 4 hours a day (Mon-Sat) on a regular basis, but it can be anywhere between 2 and 6 depending on how busy I am. I walk a good pace, probably 4 or 5 miles per hour, but I also do a lot of stopping and starting with the dogs, and take lots of little breaks. I have noticed not only changes in how I look, but I can now jog whereas I wouldn't have had the stamina to before, I can walk uphill in humid, hot conditions fairly easily, my skin is clearer from all the drinking water, my bum, legs and stomach are MUCH firmer, and I feel a lot happier. Walking consistently over a period of time WILL improve your fitness, it just takes longer.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who've lost over 100 lbs simply walking. I have lost most of my weight walking. Walking is cool. Walking is awesome.

If you are striving to become a running, checkout c25k. If not, keep on walking :)
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You can burn a ton of cals on incline treadmill but do not use handrails.
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main exercise, and it seems to be working ok just now. I would love to run but my weight/size just makes me too cumbersome to run and its too much impact on my knees and back which I have to be careful with. It is something I hope to take up as I get lighter though, as walking is sometimes a bit tedious!
  • hayley372
    hayley372 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That may also be my problem, i can't help but hold onto the handles lol, probably my own fault for setting it to fast to begin with though. I will try it on a slower pace without holding the rails :smile:
  • casualzen
    casualzen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a walking fan. It's far more forgiving to your joints, puts you at less risk of burnout early-on in a new regime, and makes it easier to incorporate things like listening to iTunes or podcasts during your workout. The key, of course, is to be consistent. I walk twice daily, achieving just about the same amount of calorie burning as I would jogging once 5 out of 7 days. The more important outcome is that I'm exercising every day, and that's something that pays benefits beyond what can be measured.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The good news about walking is that three 40-minute walks a week raises adiponectin (a fat burning hormone) levels by 260% according to a recently published study on what foods or conditions increased blood levels of adiponectin. Turns out that increased magnesium intake (through eating lots of vegetables) and especially vegetables high in carotenoid (all the yellow and orange ones) raised adiponectin moderately well, but walking was the winner. Interestingly, it raised it better than more vigorous exercise as too vigorous an exercise can raise cortisol levels and when cortisol levels are high, human growth hormone (another fat burner) and adiponectin are low. Adequate sleep is also very important.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious as to how people are going with their weight loss journey, especially if they choose to walk instead of run/jog. I broke my ankle last year and since then i have stuck to walking, brisk/fast walking, my ankle still plays up a bit if i try and run and don't want to do anything that may cause more damage. I normally use my treadmill on an incline, especially right now as we are in the middle of winter. But i have always much preferred walking myself, and am also doing a small amount of circuit training 5 days a week too (at home as don't have a gym membership), am going to start the 30 day shred as well. Thanks :smile:

When I was losing weight I did no exercise at all. When I transitioned into maintenance I started walking and fell in love with it :) I'm now training for my first 5K (fundraiser for my kid's school in October), but after running for a few weeks I've come to the conclusion that it's just not for me. I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I do walking. I walk 10-12 miles a week at a brisk pace (15 minute miles), and then run a couple miles a week. After the 5K is done I won't continue with the running.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have walked for almost my entire weight loss journey (except for a few months when I started jogging and discovered I couldn't due to knee problems) and I have lost around 100lbs in 3 1/2 years. At various times I have interspersed aerobics home videos and very light weights (and I'm about to start dong some strength training at home) and I also do yoga for flexibility.

I think when you look at the math, it is true that you can burn more calories with running. However, you can still get a pretty good calorie burn with walking as long as you make sure that you are walking often enough, far enough, and fast enough. I walk 3-4 miles/ day, 6 days/ week, 3.5-4 miles per hour. This usually amounts to 300-400 calories burned per day. I make sure that I plan my meals to accommodate the calories I will be burning, so I guess the bottom line is that I don't need to burn more calories as long as I'm not eating more calories.

In terms of muscle tone, I find walking to be great for the lower body and even for the core as long as you are walking using proper form (http://walkingconnection.com/fitness-walking-technique-and-form/). The upper body will still need help from strength training to get toned, but I think that running has the same issue. As for the cardio aspect, I don't really use an HRM, so I couldn't say if I'm hitting any kind of target range, but when walking 3.5-4 miles/hr I do work up a sweat and I do have to control my breathing or I get out of breath. If you are worried about getting in enough cardio to elevate your heart rate, I would suggest that just adding in a few home video cardio routines a week would probably be good. No need to trade in the walking for running if you don't want to.

I feel like all the walking I do has been great for my body. I feel better when I'm walking that when I am doing any other exercise and I don't have to worry about putting too much pressure on my joints. It's boosted my endurance and when I walk in the evening I always sleep great. I have lost weight steadily while walking (except through my long plateau where nothing seemed to help). When I was running, I always felt like I was nursing my swollen knees, or dealing with a pulled muscle (probably because I wasn't ready to be running), or trying to figure out how I should be eating to keep from wearing myself out too fast or crashing completely afterward. And, for me, it actually made me gain weight because I could not get control of my increased appetite and I kept going way over my calorie allowance.

You could say I'm a fan of walking. :smile:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My main source of exercise is walking...
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    I broke both ankles in my teens, and have re-injured them throughout my life. Running is just too painful for me. At my gym there are several variations of pedaling machines. That's worked wonders for me. My cardio consists of high intense pedaling for 30 minutes. Then I weight train for 30 - 60 mins, and wrap up with another 30 mins of intense pedaling. I'm at about 2500 calories intake daily and stay between 194 - 200lbs. I'm 5'11" with a 34" waist so I'm carrying that weight well. Going strictly by BMI, I'm considered obese, but measuring body fat instead, I'm considered healthy fitness, and nearing athletic levels.
  • ShortInSeattle
    Options
    I enjoy walking, and I don't particularly like jogging. I've always lost weight when I walk regularly. It does tend to take more time than a fast paced workout, but I don't mind.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% diet. I walk every day, and do strength training twice a week, and that's about it.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options

When I was losing weight I did no exercise at all. When I transitioned into maintenance I started walking and fell in love with it :) I'm now training for my first 5K (fundraiser for my kid's school in October), but after running for a few weeks I've come to the conclusion that it's just not for me. I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I do walking. I walk 10-12 miles a week at a brisk pace (15 minute miles), and then run a couple miles a week. After the 5K is done I won't continue with the running.

The good news is that there are a lot of 5K's that allow walkers. You won't be competitive, but it's still a lot of fun for good causes. Especially if you can talk a friend into walking with you!
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Ive lost weight by walking. Ive also lost weight by running in the past. Walking is less impact on your body but you need to go longer. I got a Fitbit and its really impacted my life. Havent had a day without since I got it. I strive for 10,000 steps a day. I highly recommend getting some sort of pedometer.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I just started walking a month ago, after I got my Fitbit Flex. Really didn't do much exercising while losing most of my weight, but the Flex gave me some motivation to walk & I'm hoping it will push the remaining pounds I'm looking to lose....any firming & toning will be wonderful as well.
  • GraffeoDL
    GraffeoDL Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here's a nice article about how walking is as good or better for heart health than running.
    www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/05/walking-running-heart-risk-factors-health_n_3020697.html

I started food tracking and walking in January of this year. I don't run because I have bad knees and ankles. I've lost 33 pounds so far and while i am trying to eat healthy I'm not doing major calorie deficits. I bought a fitbit and I am quite addicted to watching my step count climb.