Diet Breaks?

Options
2»

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say, I did the diet break a couple of times last year and didn't notice any negative changes in the mirror. Went from eating an average of 1900 cals a day to ~2700 cals a day for the 2 weeks. Towards the end of the 2 weeks, I was getting fed up of the extra calories and quite relieved to be back to a deficit.
  • lindacollins78
    lindacollins78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That would be a nice feeling, lol, fed up with too MANY calories!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It is essentially a refeed period where you eat at or above maintenance calories for a period of time. Two weeks is ideal and allows your hormone levels to rebalance in a way that is conducive to fat mass loss.
  • lindacollins78
    Options
    Do you think I should eat at maintenance for the 2 weeks or above?
  • whierd
    Options

I would eat a few hundred calories above maintenance.
  • lindacollins78
    Options

Wow that would put me almost to 2500. I could go hog wild! Just curious about the reasoning behind eating above?
  • whierd
    Options

Wow that would put me almost to 2500. I could go hog wild! Just curious about the reasoning behind eating above?

Your body will initially store the extra calories as mainly muscle mass after eating at a deficit, so the added LBM will enhance your metabolism overall and give you a few ounces of additional muscle, which is always a good thing. That is, if you believe Torbjorn Akerfeldt's research.
  • lindacollins78
    Options
    That makes sense. I think you've convinced me. And WOW, what fun will it be to eat all those calories!

Did you have any problems with hunger after the rest period? I kinda think I might. When I first started, it was a hurdle for me for the first two weeks and coming off that high of a calorie intake, seems to me, might be pretty similar. Just wondering.

Thanks, I definetly appreciate the input!
  • whierd
    Options
    Any hunger issues I come across I usually try to squash by eating more nutrient dense/calorie light food for awhile, like a LOT of veggies and lean meats. Once you become accustomed to the lower intake, you can resume more calorie dense foods.
  • lindacollins78
    Options
    Thanks again for your input. I guess I'll be eating it up for the next 14 days starting tomorrow!
  • whierd
    Options
    Just continue trying to hit your protein goal. :)