Buying my first HRM

Options
Looking into buying my first HRM. I was curious if anyone knew how accurate the calorie counter on the watches are? Also any brand suggestions?? Thanks.

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,414 Member
    Options
    Polar all the way! I have an f4 and love it. We noticed in our spin class the other day that there were five of us in a row with the same HRM's in different colors.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 Polar's and the one I use now is the RCX3 w/GPS. Polar isn't intuitive and to use the GPS you have a 2nd unit that you attach to your waist band, but after about 25 workouts I am pretty happy with my decision. The unit is a year old and has been replaced with the RCX5 so I got mine for $100 off the original price.

As far as calories go, it is always tough to tell, but it is consistently less than MFP and way lower than any gym related bikes or ellipticals so I feel good that I'm getting a reasonable #. It has the advantage of knowing all my information (height, weight, vo2, heart rate zones) which has to help w/accuracy.
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Polar FT4 yesterday and I love it thus far. I think it is more accurate than MFP and the cardio machines at the gym. It is worth the money. If you have a Academy Sports store in your area you can buy it for about $90.
  • vanessark
    vanessark Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I bought the polar FT4 and I love it!!! Amazon sells it for around 65$
  • Absterdam
    Options
    Polar it is. Thanks guys :]
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    love my polar ft4. never work out without it. got it on amazon cheaper than any local store.