Brown rice ideas?

Options
erayne
erayne Posts: 47 Member
Hi there! I just made a huge batch of brown rice to distribute throughout the week for lunch. What are some ideas you have to spice it up? I'm making some chicken too. :D

Replies

• brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Darn! I was hoping someone had replied...I have a box of brown rice and have no idea what to cook with it...I recently gave up my white rice and was looking for some good recipes...
    :smile:
  • therunninghippie
    therunninghippie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Black beans and some chili seasonings! Toss in some salsa, chopped tomato, onion, chicken and green pepper. Top with some cheese or sour cream and chopped lettuce!
  • mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lemon or lime juice and ground chillies!
  • cyndiwilliams1198
    cyndiwilliams1198 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Add avocado...I use it to replace the butter I used to put on it.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I do what I call a Deconstructed Fajita as a way to use up day-old chicken. In a skillet/frying pan I heat up some sliced green and red peppers and some sliced onions (my grocery store sells precut packages of this mix!!). I also slice some of the leftover chicken breast. I put the chicken in with the veggies after they've been cooking for a while. I place it over a bed of brown rice. And I top it all with a good dose of salsa and some sour cream. Maybe some cheese.
  • therunninghippie
    therunninghippie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do what I call a Deconstructed Fajita as a way to use up day-old chicken. In a skillet/frying pan I heat up some sliced green and red peppers and some sliced onions (my grocery store sells precut packages of this mix!!). I also slice some of the leftover chicken breast. I put the chicken in with the veggies after they've been cooking for a while. I place it over a bed of brown rice. And I top it all with a good dose of salsa and some sour cream. Maybe some cheese.

Come to my house and make that right now please :)
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options

Come to my house and make that right now please :)

Ha ha! Awesome! I'm glad someone else thinks it sounds yummy. I don't cook. I'm terrible. But I sort of made this up on the fly one day, and I love it! It's ridiculously easy.

Oh, I forgot to say that you need olive oil or margarine or butter or whatever in the frying pan with the veggies. Not too much, just enough to make it not all stick and burn.

There, now it's ridiculously easy.
  • erayne
    Options
    All of that sounds so yummy! I'm sad to say I have none of it in my house haha! Except the rice of course......
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    I wonder how rice pudding would be with brown rice?
  • erayne
    Options
    I think that actually sounds good!
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    http://myfridgefood.com/

Go here. You get to check off everything that you have on hand. And it tells you possibilities of things you can make. It's so cool.
  • CeeBee88
    CeeBee88 Posts: 33
    Options
    Deconstructed Fajitas are amazing. Just reading that is making me hungry. We have a lunchspot near here that does a homemade one with black beans and salsa too.

OP, anything where you would normally have rice...?

Could try making a paella style dish with the chicken and whatever else you are fancying. My favourite lunch right now uses brown rice too; I have it with some flash fried strips of steak cooked with soy sauce, oyster sauce, ginger, corriander and generous amount of garlic. Its yummy, high protein and if you are just reheating pre-cooked rice takes no more than a minute to cook.
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Veggies and rice and cheese.....I just top the brown rice with steamed veggies, any variety, and cheese, any variety, and voila, lunch!
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers! Some rice, onions, chicken ( or tofu), spices to taste, cook together, then stuff into peppers and bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Freeze and reheat well use 1.5 to 2 cups of rice for 4-6 peppers, depending on other add ins.
  • freekat
    freekat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eggs and rice together are delicious. If you like runny yolk mix the egg through the rice and eat. Yummmmmm!
  • anatolian9
    anatolian9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    hmm avocado instead of butter... how much avocado would you say to replace the butter with?
  • IownaTrailer
    Options
    Cook it in chicken broth and add veggies and Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb.
    Eat with Baked fish or a salmon burger
  • KirstenNB
    KirstenNB Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a box in my pantry too! Looking forward to ideas.
  • teaparty75
    Options
    i spruce my brown rice up with cilantro and lime juice
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I serve pretty much everything over brown rice:

Chilli, BBQ chicken/salsa chicken (I just cook some boneless, skinless breasts in a crockpot with bbq sauce or salsa), chickpeas & salsa over brown rice.

Sometimes, I cook the brown rice with either low sodium veg broth or tomato soup.