Stopping Before Goal Is Reached

Options
I have not reached the weight loss goal that I set for myself a year ago when I joined MFP but yesterday, I set my calories for maintainance. I'm happy with the way I look and feel and I think I am done. My question is has anyone else decided to stop losing before you thought you would? I'm just curious.

Replies

• leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi! No, I'm still hanging in there, but I wanted to stop and congratulate you for knowing where you feel comfortable. I hope I can be as calm/reflective about it when I get to that point. I don't have a specific weight number in mind, I do know the size cloths I would like to fit into. When I get there, I'll have to reevaluate. I think I'm more nervous about maintaining than losing. Again, Great job! :flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,812 Member
    Options
    I stopped one pound short of goal (and mine was a high on). I'm loving maintenance. Your goal is just a number. I salute you! :drinker:
  • unoriginalusername007
    Options
    Good for you!! Yeah, sometimes people choose a really low GW but then realize that they can look like they wanted at a higher weight =) Congratulations! And yes, I've yet to come to the point I want, but I have friends who have been content with their weight before reaching their UGW. That's a really healthy outlook too; oftentimes people are continually unhappy with themselves even once reaching a goal, so they attempt to lose more and more which is due to an unhealthy mentality
  • jreneecal
    jreneecal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Quite a few pounds to go but I already feel a lot better and I think I set my goal too low. When I feel better I will stop and it is probably going to be higher than my set goal.
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My goal is theoretical; I just put myself in the middle of my normal BMI range and went "yup, that'll work". Right now, I'm far enough off and haven't gotten irritated at all, that stopping isn't on the horizon, but if I wind up 5, 10, 20 lbs and figure "good enough" then I'll do that.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good way to view your goals.
    I reached my initial goal after 10 months and was so pleased to get back to a weight I thought I would never see again that I have decided to continue towards my "ultimate" goal. It is only 10 more pounds and that would put me back to my most fit weight -- which I haven't seen since my late 30s. The only difference is that I'm not pressuring myself to get there by a certain date or anything; just eating right and taking it one day at a time.
    I too am worried about maintenance and making sure the pounds don't creep back up on me like they've done before. I have a good eating plan in place and just need to work harder at getting in the daily exercise.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is tentative. It's going to depend on how I look and feel when I get closer to it.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who have replied. It is interesting to other people's thoughts on this.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    My goal has become unclear the closer I get to it, I think. I am pretty happy with my body now most days and it feels kind of silly for me to have a 'clothing size' or a 'weight' goal now after all I've learned about fitness and weight loss. So for now, the most important goal for me now is really just to be in the best adult shape of my life, and it's not an end goal because it's all about maintenance and consistency.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Can always shift to calorie deficit again, if needed. Fine to take a break and re-assess goals.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have a goal set on here, but in reality by goal can't be defined with a arbitrary number. I'll know when I'm done. It may be above my "goal weight", it may end up being below. If it turns out to be above then so be it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my goal higher because I made new fitness goals instead of a number on the scale goal.