NSV - Swimming longer and farther

Options
peeaanuut
peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
Now to preface I would like to say that I have to use a snorkel to swim laps as I have a neck injury that doesnt allow me to fully rotate my head to breath. It is being worked on and slowly getting better. So, on to the victory! My normal pattern is 8 laps (read lengths) of freestyle and 2 laps of walking. Previously I had struggled to do 40 laps in 30 minutes. That was finally upped to 46 laps and I thought I was at my max of speed, so I decided to go to 45 minutes of swimming and start over and see what I got. First time I got 62 laps, so a slower pace than at the 30 min but not too shabby I think.

Well, today, I hit 70 laps!!! and I had about 30 seconds to go so I could have pushed really hard to get one more in but I was really feeling it. Anyways, 70 laps is huuuge for me. Last summer when I was swimming and trying to lose weight, i got to about 62 laps in an hour. So already do better this time around! These are 25 yard lengths of the pool. And now doing the math had I done that extra lap, that is 1 mile!!!

Anyways, I feel amazing tonight and cant wait until thursday to see if I can get that 71 laps.

Replies

• deepark75
    Options
    this is fantastic. you must be very proud of yourself. :-) i remember doing 24 laps of a 50 mtr pool, at one go, around 40 minutes for that, about 12 years ago! :-) i haven't gotten back to swimming like that since, but i remember how completely worn out and absolutely happy i felt doing what little i did back then, always grinning from ear to ear once i was done with those laps. :-)
    so 71 laps is absolutely stunning! way to go! keep at it. :-) it's wonderful.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    thank you very much! I wont be back in the pool again until thursday but I am gonna hit that 71 laps for certain. 72 if I can swing it. My ultimate goal is to get to 100 laps in an hour.
  • rainyday107
    Options
    I just started swimming laps today. I did not many. Good job man! I usually run and do the elliptical, but due to a neck injury I cant do that everyday to maintain my stress level. Swimming is such a great low impact sport. I cant wait to have goals!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That is great peanut! Head on and join us over on the MFP swimmer's forum/ group and others that love swimming too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!