Energy? Cutting back on sugar.

Options
So I usually have a really high sugar intake just to get through the day, and i am trying to cut back on sugar, so what can I eat/supplements should I take to get my energy levels up? Any advice would be awesome.
TIA

Replies

• oOxXxOo
    oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My sugar goes up and down. I am going to try this week and be more conscious of where the added sugar is and cut it way back. I personally drink Hairy Lemon... strange name I know but its a supplement/multi-vitamin thing much like berocca. I take one 15 minutes before I go to the gym and one when I am dead flat in the afternoon before the school run (around 3pm). Also I find eating apples helps too, they are naturally quite high in sugar but because they are crunchy, refreshing and generally yum they work a treat.
    :D
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Caffeine tabs will give you a burst of energy.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You used to take a lot of sugar throughout the day, which probably means you were riding the sugar high. I suggest you start eating complex carb foods like whole wheat bread and the like; they take longer to digest so they'll provide a constant level of sugar for a longer period of time. You won't get as high strung, but you won't doze off either.
  • mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I will try the hairy lemon, I have seen it. I do tide the sugar high all day, and I'm just so used to it that it is hard to stay away from, but I usually have a pretty high carb intake too. Just because I like bread and potatoes lol, I eat rye bread though. Thanks though guys.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Coffee I would say. I usually go over my sugar anyways, but coffee is what gets me through the day. Try to drink it black though. No sugar, no cream.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try to swap to fruit for your sweet cravings and after a couple of days your sugar cravings should reduce. Try low GI carbs and protein for energy throughout the day.
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    As someone that went on sugar most of his life, I am now immune to the so-called sugar high everyone talks about... in fact, I'm not even sure I recall ever experiencing that. And I still have a sugar high diet but I can tell you that fruit is great at getting natural sugar, plus it seems to last you way more than the artificial kind!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Try to swap to fruit for your sweet cravings and after a couple of days your sugar cravings should reduce.
    This ... and nutritious carbs will help you level off: beans are good complex carbs and nuts are good slow burners, too. If you must eat other starches, try whole brown rice and whole wheat breads. You just need to eat other foods that will burn more slowly and keep you from the sugar crashes.
    I no longer have those sugar crashes and no longer need sugar for energy boosts. I kicked that bad habit successfully. You can, too, if you put your mind to it.
  • mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This ... and nutritious carbs will help you level off: beans are good complex carbs and nuts are good slow burners, too. If you must eat other starches, try whole brown rice and whole wheat breads. You just need to eat other foods that will burn more slowly and keep you from the sugar crashes.
    I no longer have those sugar crashes and no longer need sugar for energy boosts. I kicked that bad habit successfully. You can, too, if you put your mind to it.
    I eat rye bread and I only eat brown rice.. The texture is better. I ate a lot of fruit and nuts today, and rice at lunch and I'm still super exhausted. Guess its a detox process and getting the old body used to not having the sugar?
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Co-enzyme Q10 helps you get energy from food. You make it naturally in your body but if yours is low you can take a supplement. I take it because I'm on statins for high cholesterol, which deplete your natural stores.