I can't like salmon...

Options
2»

Replies

• Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    not a fan of it cooked. but raw? its awesome! sashimi style!

hate cooked fish, but LOVE RAW!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Sooo......

Don't eat salmon.
    yup.

why force yourself to eat something you don't like? especially since, as you say, you eat other seafoods?

I'm not a big fish eater, on rare ocassions i'll have a piece of salmon and i do eat canned tuna (mostly because it's so darned convenient) and pickled herring once in a blue moon, but that's about it.

There are few foods i really don't like, and i really tried to like them, because they are suppsoedly so healthy (peppers, quinoa and tofu for example), and i decided that if i have such an aversion to them, maybe my body is trying to tell me something.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    oh, and here is how i make it:

Salmon in bread crumbs and herbs:
    ============================
    put the salmon filet in a pan (I take off the skin).

mix in bowl:
    about 1/2 to one cup fresh herbs, whatever you like (parsley, coriander, thyme etc or skip this part)
    1-2 tablespoon oil (originally it called for half a cup of oil, i put in less)
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1-2 tablespoon honey or date honey or molasses or whatever you like
    black pepper, chili flakes, salt

Brush the fish all over with above mixture

Cover with panko or regular bread crumbs (can mix with some almond meal)

Bake uncovered about 30 minutes.

Salmon in spicy tomato sauce
    =======================
    Make spicy tomato sauce - crushed garlic, hot peppers, tomatoes, add cumin, sweet paprika, salt, a little lemon juice. let it cook down, about 20 minutes. add the cleaned and skinned fish, cut into portions, let it simmer in the sauce about 20 minutes or until done. great hot or cold. serve with crusty bread for dipping or over couscous. can add some cooked chickpeas to the sauce for extra fiber.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    People she wasnt asking to be talked out of eating it she was asking for ideas so she can branch out and maybe find a way she likes. I hate squash, but in a search for new ways to cook it I found a preparation that I can not only live with but I actually like. I applaud her not closing off a food just because she doesn't like the traditional preparation of it.

Salmon cakes
    Salmon cooked or smoked. Use canned if you like.
    Diced sautéd onion.
    Bacon one piece. I suppose turkey bacon could work but one piece of pork bacon for whole recipe isn't going to kill the calories totals
    Garlic minced
    Mayo just enough to lightly bind the salmon together. I use the olive oil kind. If you are weirded out by the mayo replace with eggs.
    Bread crumbs, season them with old bay, or any poultry or fish friendly spice mixture you like
    Combine all ingredients but bread crumbs cold. Which means onions and bacon prepared earlier.
    Roll mixture into balls, flatten slightly and roll into the bread crumbs.
    You can either bake as is or fry in a pan. The oven method works fine, but I find cooking oven fried items on a cookie rack over the pan helps prevent the one side burning, and such doesn't require flipping.

Salmon cakes can be pretty personal. If you prefer some flavor and not other find the spice mix that you like. I myself like them spiced up in a Mexican spice mix, mix some corn instead of bacon. And eat with pico do gallo. Where my wife prefers the recipe above with a lemon dill sauce. If your a hot wing fanatic. Stick to only garlic and than toss in franks red hot. Salmon is so adaptable I am sure if you adapt it to thing you already like you should find a win or two.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of salmon either...it's a very strong tasting fish. THere are two ways i like it best...

The first is "en papillote"...or wrapped in parchment paper. I spray the parchment lightly with a bit of cooking spray, then layer on some citrus slices and some fresh or dried herbs. Lightly season the fillet with some fresh black pepper and put it on top of the citrus and herbs. Wrap the whole shebang and put it on a baking sheet in 350F oven for 8-12 minutes (depending on how thick the fillet is). Fish is done when it reaches 145F, but i prefer salmon to 150F. Let it rest for a moment before unwrapping it.

The other way is salmon cakes. For every serving you need 4oz salmon (I like it with the bones to get the extra calcium), 2oz onion, 1oz carrot and 1 oz celery. (I work in ratios rather than recipes). Saute the veggies and then pulse in a food processor til finely minced/pureed. This will eliminate the need for eggs to bind the cakes together, and will also provide a lot of moisture in the cakes. Crumble the salmon with your hands or pulse in a food processor til nicely chopped, but not pureed. Stir in veggies. Add 1/2tsp dill, 1/2tsp garlic, S&P to taste and a pinch of red chili flakes. Dredge cakes in seasoned bread crumbs and either bake in 350F oven til 165F or pan fry with some good clarified butter.

You can also make the salmon cakes into croquettes, which is essentially the same thing scooped into a ball and then fried (I've baked them in a muffin tin and that's worked fairly well, though).
  • LaraMc71
    LaraMc71 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    People she wasnt asking to be talked out of eating it she was asking for ideas so she can branch out and maybe find a way she likes. I hate squash, but in a search for new ways to cook it I found a preparation that I can not only live with but I actually like. I applaud her not closing off a food just because she doesn't like the traditional preparation of it. .....

Thanks, I will try some adaptation of this. We have Bluefish here on Long Island - its a very strong, oily fish that I normally wouldn't eat and a friend made cakes and they were great.

Salmon is a great source of Omegas and I prefer to get nutrients from whole food over supplements when possible. I am getting my Masters in Nutrition right now and am learning a lot about the bio-avalibility of nutrients so I would really like to find a way to incorporate this DHA High-Mercury Low fish into my diet.

Thanks for understanding my question ;)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    we bbq it,,, wrap in tin foil,, put either the tomato or the red pepper dressing on it,, chop tomatoes,,, and red peppers and onion, and pile with dill, its yummy,, anyone who hates salmon ALWAYS eats it here,,
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i believe ( ive read it somewhere).. that the only way to preserve the omega oils is by baking the fish... i love cooked salmon only, not canned or raw..

i had some tonight :) normally i just pop it in some baking paper and foil, and wrap up tightly with some lemon slices, and a touch of salt and pepper..

tonight, i did that but added frozen veggies in the parcle and cooked it all together :) was yummy!!!

i like mine well done..

i always cook it in the oven... then i have flaked it over cooked pasta with olive oil and garlic to make a easy tasty pasta dish before as well :):)
  • LaraMc71
    LaraMc71 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i believe ( ive read it somewhere).. that the only way to preserve the omega oils is by baking the fish... i love cooked salmon only, not canned or raw..

This had me intrigued, so I went searching for an evidence-based answer. I know there are a lot of folks out there who believe in raw eating, and to each their own, but perhaps that philosophy is what you happened upon when reading about salmon. There was a study in 2010 that says that cooking and cooking method had little effect on the Omegas

If you want to look up the abstract on Google Scholar here's the article:

Larsen, D., Quek, S.Y., & Eyres, L. (2010, Mar 15). Effect of cooking method on the fatty acid profile of New Zealand King Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) [Abstract]. Food Chemistry, 119(2): 785-790.

THANKS for the recipe idea :)
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I rub my salmon with Moroccan spice and cook in George Forman.
    Also do a mean spinach and salmon omelette using salmon slices and put it under the omelette and spinach with a little Parmesan in middle..
    Salmon is yummy on bagel or English muffin with lite cream cheese....

But...some people just don't like it.... See how you go...on its own it can be quite punchy..... I don't tend to ea salmon without something with it.

Good luck
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan either, but I love, love, love it marinaded, grilled and served with a dill pickle/tomato salsa served on top. Pickles however are not low in sodium :(
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I hear the best way of losing weight is to run whilst eating salmon.

How about tuna? Similar properties to salmon, I'd have thought.
  • Lozzer135
    Lozzer135 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try it cooked in the oven in lemon juice and topped with green pesto and a few green beans. Wrap it all in foil, it steams and absorbs the flavour of the lemon and pesto. Serve with either salad or a few boiled potatoes. Easy, fast and yummy....
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I like most fish and shellfish but I just can't find a way to like salmon. Any recipe ideas that are not loaded with salt and/or sugar?

Maybe thats the problem right there? No salt, no sugar, no vinegar is needed for this fish. (maybe a dash of salt, but not too much) I use olive oil, italian seasonings and maybe a pinch of garlic from time to time. I usually bake it. Would grill it, but dont have the right accessories to keep it from sticking.

I dont like fish that much, but salmon is truly one of the few fish I enjoy eating and would eat it without any seasonings at all. Do you really enjoy the taste of the other fish that you eat or do you tolerate them and found other ways of coating it in marinades and/or breading that youre able to eat it?

I hope no one is putting tartar sauce on their salmon. Its like putting A1 on steak.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,751 Member
    Options
    My Mom always made it in the oven and I liked it, but didn't love it. My brother started BBQing years ago with my youngest uncle and WOW did they come up with some great ways to make it! The Cedar Plank salmon is awesome, and when he smokes salmon in his smoker, it's insanely delicious. He's become critical to the point of having to improve it each time, and while my favorite's in the smoker, I'll be there in a few minutes (he lives real close) if he's making it for his family! My parents, brother,, Sis-in-law, and nephews still go out for birthday dinners and I've chosen his salmon over my favorite restaurants it's so good!

Another way we may be able to help is if you say how you've had it. One thing I don't recommend is canned. I had no idea it didn't come like tuna, without the bones and skin like tuna does. Boy was I grossed out when, after picking through the fat and skin, there were little circular bones in my salmon. SO much for my cheap way to eat it, it's cheap for a reason, LOL! If I'd had an idea I may have been okay with it, but thought it would seriously be like tuna. I'd rather pick frozen fillets since that's still somewhat affordable, but enough so that I can have it twice a week.. I'm glad it wasn't my first introduction to salmon! :)

I think with salmon you can go just about any type of seasoning. My favorite in the oven is with Yoshida's sauce, which is a sweet type of sauce/marinade, so it may not be to your liking. It would be great in the oven with various herbs, and you can bake or roast it with your preferred topping. I hope you find ones you like and come to love it!
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Bake in the oven with lemon juice, butter and crushed garlic!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Try King Salmon, it has a higher fat content, that is better distributed throughout the meat, which leads to a milder tasting, more buttery salmon taste without the fishiness.

If you want to make it taste good with a sauce, try lemon caper, olive tapenade, miso / soy, honey, mustard, honey/mustard, bbq, garlic, curry

(pretty much anything with a strong distinct flavor to it works well with salmon, since salmon is so versatile, it adds great flavor to anything.)

My girlfriend and her family NEVER eat salmon. EVER. I cooked a huge fillet for them that I literally put balsamic vinagrette and mustard on with a little sugar to cut to acid, straight on the grill with the marinade....they all ate it and there was nothing left lol and I put very little time/effort into it.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Fish soup: salmon, cod, thyme, onion, fennel, tomato paste, fish stock, sour cream, pepper (if you like it you can add potatoes in it)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    People she wasnt asking to be talked out of eating it she was asking for ideas so she can branch out and maybe find a way she likes. I hate squash, but in a search for new ways to cook it I found a preparation that I can not only live with but I actually like. I applaud her not closing off a food just because she doesn't like the traditional preparation of it.

Salmon cakes
    You're a good friend to share this idea! (Eww, salmon cakes are my most hated form of salmon, and the reason I don't even like salmon in the first place, but to each his own... glad you like 'em! :happy: )
    Try King Salmon, it has a higher fat content, that is better distributed throughout the meat, which leads to a milder tasting, more buttery salmon taste without the fishiness.
    Thank you for this tip; it sounds really good and I will try it!

I really like lox and cream cheese, come to think of it. I know it's super-salty, but for myself I'm not really caring about that, so maybe I'll try to eat that more often. I also take a good quality fish oil supplement three times a day, so maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

And thanks to the OP for this topic. There are so few foods that I just don't like, and salmon is one of them, and the place that does healthy meals that I like to get all the time doesn't do any other fish but salmon. I'll eat it but I don't enjoy it. So this topic is helping me think of other ways to try it.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

This had me intrigued, so I went searching for an evidence-based answer. I know there are a lot of folks out there who believe in raw eating, and to each their own, but perhaps that philosophy is what you happened upon when reading about salmon. There was a study in 2010 that says that cooking and cooking method had little effect on the Omegas

If you want to look up the abstract on Google Scholar here's the article:

Larsen, D., Quek, S.Y., & Eyres, L. (2010, Mar 15). Effect of cooking method on the fatty acid profile of New Zealand King Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) [Abstract]. Food Chemistry, 119(2): 785-790.

THANKS for the recipe idea :)

Great :)