How to make brown rice taste good???

Options
I know that brown rice is supposed to be very good for you. My problem is that I can't make it taste that good. It either never cooks properly or when it does, it's just very bland and plain. Any tips or ideas for making it taste yummy so I enjoy eating it instead of feeling like I have to force myself? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I know that brown rice is supposed to be very good for you. My problem is that I can't make it taste that good. It either never cooks properly or when it does, it's just very bland and plain. Any tips or ideas for making it taste yummy so I enjoy eating it instead of feeling like I have to force myself? Thanks for your help!

Maybe boiling it in broth instead of plain water could help. :flowerforyou:
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    What I do with rice usually is to fry the uncooked grains with a spray of oil and onions and then pour stock in it and cook it in that. Gives it some more flavour i find...
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Definitely broth and maybe low-sodium soy sauce and pepper.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I do this with white rice as well...I sautee minced onion and garlic in a pan (use cooking spray or EVOO) after a few minutes add in the uncooked rice, sautee for a few minutes. Place in a pot and cook it in a veggie, chicken or beef broth instead of plain water. Bring to a boil and the cover and simmer until done. I get the organic natural broth cubes at the grocery store that are better for you.

You can also cook it with a little butter and garlic salt as well to give it some flavor. ( I do this with the instant brown rice)
  • jennabella30
    Options
    I make brown rice the regular way, the way Uncle Ben recommends!! But then I spritz some lemon juice on it, and it's really good.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I do this with white rice as well...I sautee minced onion and garlic in a pan (use cooking spray or EVOO) after a few minutes add in the uncooked rice, sautee for a few minutes. Place in a pot and cook it in a veggie, chicken or beef broth instead of plain water. Bring to a boil and the cover and simmer until done. I get the organic natural broth cubes at the grocery store that are better for you.

You can also cook it with a little butter and garlic salt as well to give it some flavor. ( I do this with the instant brown rice)

Ditto!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What brand are you using? I absolutely LOVE brown rice. I try to stick with Uncle Ben's or Riceland brands. If you're using instant brown rice, I've never had success with that.... it's HORRIBLE!

Try preparing it with chicken or vegetable broth, or flavoring it with some low-sodium soy sauce or teriyaki sauce. Try serving your main dish over it instead of having it on the side. Sauteed veggies can also add flavor... or use garlic or herbs. Mrs. Dash can work miracles as well!

Just keep experimenting and you'll find something you love!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I always do it in a low sodium, fat free chicken stock or broth. Everyone I turn on to this idea LOVES brown rice now!
  • WeightingForSara
    WeightingForSara Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use flavored broth as well, but I love spicy food so I *kitten* lots of hot sauce and pepper sauce which helps me a TON.
  • Yellow4615
    Options
    I use minute brown rice in a bag and it comes out good every time. I put fat free brown gravy over it and fat free cream of chicken over chicken, yummy!
  • dbeinke
    dbeinke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I just use the Minute brown rice, so maybe that's part of my problem.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Obviously this is not ideal for everyone, and in moderation.. but I cook some bacon to chop up into it, and sauté the rice in a little bit of bacon grease until done, add grilled green peppers onions and then the bacon.. it taste REALLY good and is not too bad calories/carb wise
  • dbeinke
    Options
    That sounds wonderful. Thanks!
  • dbeinke
    Options

• PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    An idea a friend gave me that is awesome and reasonable calorie wise is add 1/2 cup corn black bean salsa, about 4 blue aztec chips and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese to a cup of rice. It is amazing!
  • vdub88
    Options
    I mix it with well sasoned veggies like zuchini and onions and carrots done in olive oil. mix it together and hell throw in some chicken!
  • akabob
    Options
    Replace the salt and sugar with honey when preparing. You'll see a huge difference.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love a rice cooker, it cooks it till perfect. To help my husband make the switch I did half & half with white and slowly reduced the white %. Cooking it in broth and with sauted garlic and onion makes it delish.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options

This sounds great! It's a healthier version of Japanese hibatchi rice! YUM!
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i season my brown rice when i make it with some cayane powder, and i also, cook the rice with some green, red, orange, and yellow peppers.