Gym Workout Plan for Weight Loss

Options
Hi,

So I've been on MFP for a few years now. When I started out I did great, logged all my food, ate a lot better and also worked out a lot. And this had good results. However, when myself and my ex-partner moved house we fell off the wagon somewhat and then it was difficult to get back on it. My weight crept up and at the same time my motivation to get back into the swing of things disappeared.

Fast forward to now, and my ex and I broke up back in April after he cheated on me, I was left homeless because the house was his, and amongst other personal problems happening with my family I hit rock bottom. I was put on anti-depressants/anti-anxiety tablets by my GP however I've since come off these now and I'm trying to rebuild what's left of my life (and my confidence) little by little.

I know a lot about different kinds of diets, different workout plans etc. but I don't know which one to go with. I started back at the gym last week, and did some interval training on the treadmill along with some work on the cross-trainer and then used some of the weight machines, but I'm not sure if this is an effective way to drop the weight quickly or not? I'm back on a 1200 calorie diet, though my logging isn't great at the moment because my mum has been cooking dinners for me and god knows what goes in her food! (Delicious but not exactly diet-friendly!)

So I was hoping for some advice/inspiration?! I have around 50lbs to lose long term and I'm the kind of person who needs to see some immediate results in order to stay motivated. What's worked for you?

Thanks in advance :-)

Hayley x

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You have been on MFP for a while so you likely know the answer - weight loss happens at the table, not the gym. The gym is for getting in shape. I have lost over 50 pounds this year and my primary exercise was running. But mostly it was about cutting snacks out completely during the work day and eating sensible meals.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    dont waist precious gym time on cardio if you are already getting your deficit through eating less, spend it doing a full body weight lifting program, 5x5 is good, great at keeping your muscle mass and burns a decent number of calories aswell. traditional cardio wont help yousustain any LBM and your gonna end up pretty weak and skinny fat by the time you hit the 50 pound mark. you will be 50 pounds lighter but still have soft wobbly bits your not happy with. Im assuming you want to be sculpted.

1200 is likely too low a calorie deficit if you have 50 pounds to loose. So look into fixing that.

get your protein

sleep

water
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You went through quite a lot, how is it with your stress levels? When that's too high weightloss will not become any easier, it can make you gain even. Have you got that sorted out? Further I agree, 1200 is too low! Eating too little wont help you either loosing weight.
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree that 1200 is low and likely will be harder to eat at. Check out this site:

http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.com/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

It is a BMR and TDEE calculator. BMR is what your body needs to function. TDEE is what your body expends. At the minimum, eat at your BMR. For weight loss shoot for 10-20% less than TDEE. I would recommend a sedentary or lightly active setting and eat back exercise calories. This has been working for me for a few weeks. I'm not starving like I was at 1200 and am still losing weight.

As for fitness, do what works for you. Maybe walking/jogging/running is a good fit because it can be a stress reliever. Weights would be helpful to build muscle and burn fat. Maybe looking into classes is an option. You need to find something that you like as it will make you more likely to stick to it.

I'm not expert on anything, this is just my personal opinion. Good luck!
  • activefatgirl
    activefatgirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks jakebrown! I just read your post and I will follow it myself. I have about 115 pounds left to lose and when I'm there I don't want to be "skinny fat"