walking for 60 minutes, burned 1700 kcal??

Options
Hello,

I just wanted to enter my exercises for today (60 minutes walking with the dog), but then myfitnesspal says i've burned almost 1700 kcal. I cannot believe this is right, how do i check this? And why is myfitnesspal saying that i've burned so much calories?

Greetings, Cathy

Replies

• Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty high to me. I usually walk on the treadmill for 45 minutes at inclines ranging from 2-8 and a pace between 4.5 & 5 mph and I burn anywhere between 465-540 max (I have the Polar FT7). Have you entered all of your information? What pace did you enter on MFP? Hopefully someone here can give you a more productive answer as to how to fix it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    MFP is notorious for overestimating calorie burns. The best way to know what you burned is to invest in a heart rate monitor.

However, if you're looking for a a guess, 1 mile is about 100 calories burned (give or take, depends on your fitness level). I walk 3.5 miles everyday, in about 65-70 minutes, and range anywhere from 330-400 calories burned.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    MFP is way, way, way over. Heart rate monitor is the way to go, but still you need to understand that it's only an estimate.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That makes no sense, unless you weigh A LOT. MFP gives me about 250 calories for 60 minutes of walking, and it's an underestimation compared to my HRM.

I weigh 150, so you'd have to weigh about 1,000 pounds for that to be correct. I'm thinking this is user error. Did you put the correct time and pace in?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Did you put 600 minutes by error?

You only have 2.7 kg to lose. It isn't possible. Even MFP doesn't overestimate like that.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Did you put 600 minutes by error?

You only have 2.7 kg to lose. It isn't possible. Even MFP doesn't overestimate like that.

This. I'm thinking you misentered the time spent on the exercise.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    YesI find MFP estimates tend to be higher than what the machines say (where I enter my weight too), but I agree w/the previous poster, usually if it's WAY over, then I find I've entered something incorrectly. In addition to checking your exercise info numbers, check your current weight to see if that is accurate as well.