Young kid at the gym

Options

Replies

• Bridgysmalls
    Options
    Worry about yourself at the gym. If you notice what people are or aren't doing in the gym, you're doing it wrong.

Utter nonsense mate...

If you're lifting hard, I assure you, you won't have time to be counting that some kid is doing 100 reps. My bet is that you're in no better shape than the poor kid you're trying to help.

When you actually focus on your own workout, you will look like this
    <<-

Which you don't. Nuff' said.

Jagger relax, please see previous comments re digital leg press machine, hence digital display on reps done.

FYI I am in more than good enough shape and really wont be drawn into this pointless babyish discussion
  • Bridgysmalls
    Options
    NOTE TO SELF:

Do not ask a question on the MFP Forum again.
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Worry about yourself at the gym. If you notice what people are or aren't doing in the gym, you're doing it wrong.

Utter nonsense mate...

If you're lifting hard, I assure you, you won't have time to be counting that some kid is doing 100 reps. My bet is that you're in no better shape than the poor kid you're trying to help.

<<-

Jagger relax, please see previous comments re digital leg press machine, hence digital display on reps done.

FYI I am in more than good enough shape and really wont be drawn into this pointless babyish discussion

Babyish is needlessly noticing what others are doing and posting about it online.

You may be in good enough shape, but the kid doesn't want your help-don't give unsolicited advice.

I still stand by the fact that it's difficult to be distracted when you're having an intense workout. Cheer up old man, I'm sure the kid will be lean and mean in no time
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Ask him if he wants help with his form or talk to the trainers about your concern. Otherwise, leave him alone.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    A grown man approaching a 16 year old at the gym is a bad idea. I know your motives are to be helpful, but remember how easily one's actions can be misinterpreted. It's unfortunate, but that's the world we live in.

I think you should point him out to one of the trainers and just mention that you think he could hurt himself. Ask them to help him. They should approach him - not you.
  • Bridgysmalls
    Options

Utter nonsense mate...

<<-

Babyish is needlessly noticing what others are doing and posting about it online.

You may be in good enough shape, but the kid doesn't want your help-don't give unsolicited advice.

I still stand by the fact that it's difficult to be distracted when you're having an intense workout. Cheer up old man, I'm sure the kid will be lean and mean in no time

hmm, thanks for the help fella.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is this large young kid who trains at my gym..

Now its great that he trains and is trying to shed the weight, however his technique is terrible, he jumps from bicep curl to leg press, to the cross trainer, back to bicep curls, to a minute on the bike, onto bench press etc...he is all over the place, i seen him do 45 reps on the barbel bench press yesterday & over 100 leg presses in one set..!!

Sounds to me like he is just doing Crossfit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you believe it is the duty of the staff to coach him on how to properly use equipment and exercise, then speak to a manager. Personally, and I know this sounds cruel, I wouldn't both stressing over it.

NOPE.

This is often (at a larger gym) a huge misconception.

Trainers are paid to train- paying clients.

Front desk people- they are just front desk people. Unless you pay for a gym that INCLUDES the cost of trainers- most of them are likely paid PER CLIENT. Which isn't much.

If the opportunity happens to open itself- by all means- coach away- point him in the right direction. But don't expect people who are paid to help paying clients to go out of their way to help others. How many times have you heard on here "a trainer walked up to me...."

double standard much?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Now its great that he trains and is trying to shed the weight, however his technique is terrible, he jumps from bicep curl to leg press, to the cross trainer, back to bicep curls, to a minute on the bike, onto bench press etc...he is all over the place, i seen him do 45 reps on the barbel bench press yesterday & over 100 leg presses in one set..!!

I want to talk to him and help him, but really the instructors at the gym should help him, but they are too busy posing and on their phones..

To top it off when I finished up in the gym and was driving home this kid was walking away from the gym eating an ice cream he had bought in the canteen!!

Most people don't like being told how they should work out but should I help him? He is totally wasting his time at the moment...

Most other gym guys just watch in amazement!

Why not offer him some advice. If he wants, give it to him. If he doesn't, walk away.

What's so evil about ice cream? Especially for a kid who is apparently doing a cardio workout?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate it when a complete stranger comes up to me and says: You know, you are doing that wrong.
    I like to learn and do things right. But i do not want some stranger criticizing me.
    Moreover, I have two teenagers. They never listen to advice. On the contrary, it gets their back up.
    Let him alone. Let him get into it, and used to working out, then when he is committed, he will find his way.
    We all start out doing things in a way that is less than perfect. It's not the end of the world. It is how we learn.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I want to talk to him and help him, but really the instructors at the gym should help him, but they are too busy posing and on their phones..

To top it off when I finished up in the gym and was driving home this kid was walking away from the gym eating an ice cream he had bought in the canteen!!

Most people don't like being told how they should work out but should I help him? He is totally wasting his time at the moment...

Most other gym guys just watch in amazement!

You don't know what his goals are or why he's doing the workout the way he is.

There were times where I was doing giant sets with maybe a minute or two of running on the treadmill in between. I was doing 4 exercises back-to-back which meant I was probably "jumping all over the gym". I'd be annoyed if someone came up to me and told me I was doing my workout wrong or tried to "correct" me.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Leave him.

Lions do not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Well said!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If you believe it is the duty of the staff to coach him on how to properly use equipment and exercise, then speak to a manager. Personally, and I know this sounds cruel, I wouldn't both stressing over it.

THIS
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

NOPE.

This is often (at a larger gym) a huge misconception.

Trainers are paid to train- paying clients.

Front desk people- they are just front desk people. Unless you pay for a gym that INCLUDES the cost of trainers- most of them are likely paid PER CLIENT. Which isn't much.

If the opportunity happens to open itself- by all means- coach away- point him in the right direction. But don't expect people who are paid to help paying clients to go out of their way to help others. How many times have you heard on here "a trainer walked up to me...."

double standard much?

Think you may have misread what I typed. Depending on the gym, as you also clarified, there may be staff there for the purpose of explaining how to use different equipment ; often in addition to staff, there are trainers that will offer services if paid for. Hence why I said, speak to the Manager.

Less hostility, more positivity! :)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options

No - he's 16 (from what you say), and my guess is that you're older than that. If you're a complete stranger, than this could be perceived as creepy. If you're worried about him, mention it to a gym employee.
  • TetesLorraine
    TetesLorraine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't approach him as others have said.
    I just HAD to comment though because am wondering why there are so many JERKS on this thread. If you don't have an answer for the question, keep it moving!!

Those critizing the OP for not focusing on his/her own workout are probably those who spend 100 years staring at others and themselves in the mirror.

Bottom Line: There is nothing wrong with showing concern if you think someone may get hurt. The OP simply asked for opinions. I don't get why people have to be so negative and critical!

And the guy who pointed to his pic and said the OP would look like that if they focused on their own workout.....really?? Pathetic!
    Miserable people like to bash others for no reason. Being rude and unkind is too common place because jerks can hide behind their profile pics.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with ice cream after a workout? Are you qualified and experienced enough to help?

Seriously, what are you talking about. A fat kid leaves the gym after a piss poor workout and then eats ice cream and you see this as OK?

Yes, more than experienced, but thanks for checking..

Ice cream is an excellent post-workout food!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    :explode:
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    Most "kids" won't listen to you anyway - just sayin - I have one... and I work with them too. Asking first is a great suggestion someone above made. Our gym has a childrens and teen program for various ages, and they at least work with them on form, correct use of equipment, etc - under 16 cannot be unattended. I'm glad the kid is trying - it's better than staying home eating a whole bucket of ice cream, two bags of chips, corn dogs, and playing video games...

Personally, I would mention your valid concerns to the staff... or their parent if they are around; otherwise if it were me I would definitely step in if I thought he was going to seriously hurt himself or someone else.

Oh, and ignore the inciters, instigators and haters, they are everywhere... just read with a filter...

Just my 2 cents...

*edited for a typo (duh)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't approach him as others have said.
    I just HAD to comment though because am wondering why there are so many JERKS on this thread. If you don't have an answer for the question, keep it moving!!

Those critizing the OP for not focusing on his/her own workout are probably those who spend 100 years staring at others and themselves in the mirror.

Bottom Line: There is nothing wrong with showing concern if you think someone may get hurt. The OP simply asked for opinions. I don't get why people have to be so negative and critical!

And the guy who pointed to his pic and said the OP would look like that if they focused on their own workout.....really?? Pathetic!
    Miserable people like to bash others for no reason. Being rude and unkind is too common place because jerks can hide behind their profile pics.

But it's ok to respond by being rude and unkind? It's wrong, horrible, and pathetic for other people to "bash" someone, but it's ok for you to do it? Doesn't your entire post actually make you one of the "miserable people" you are complaining about?