anyone live in the state of Washington?

Options
Hi there!

I am thinking of taking my hubby on a trip to Washington this fall for his 40th but I don't know much about the area. I am hoping that someone out there lives there and give me some ideas. We love the outdoors and would love to hike, run, go rafting, visit a vineyard, take a tour up Mt. Ranier...etc. I would also prefer to fly in somewhere that we would be able to do all of this and not rent a car. What kind of "budget" (but not really low-end) hotels are in the area? You know, travel on a budget!!

If anyone would be willing to share some ideas with me I would be forever grateful!!

Replies

• buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi there!

I am thinking of taking my hubby on a trip to Washington this fall for his 40th but I don't know much about the area. I am hoping that someone out there lives there and give me some ideas. We love the outdoors and would love to hike, run, go rafting, visit a vineyard, take a tour up Mt. Ranier...etc. I would also prefer to fly in somewhere that we would be able to do all of this and not rent a car. What kind of "budget" (but not really low-end) hotels are in the area? You know, travel on a budget!!

If anyone would be willing to share some ideas with me I would be forever grateful!!
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hey! I live in Washington.... suburb of Seattle. We're like the love child of San Diego and Flagstaff AZ. :) I'm going to warn you Fall is maybe not the best season... it's rainy. not real hard downpour rain but a steady drizzle... by steady I mean constant.... never ending.... drizzle..... but July and August make it all worthwhile.

Hotels, definitely stick with a chain.... I live in the south end so I would recommend Tukwila area. Very close to the airport yet bus/transit accessible to get you most places. However if you're thinking about going WAY out like Mt Rainier, or the wineries, you'll either need to rent a car or arrange some kind of tour package. I won't blather on too much in this post but contact me if you want more info!! I'm happy to help I LOVE MY STATE!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I lived there for a while, the pier is a GREAT and COOL place to go, Lots for the family to do there, that and the space needle.
    Find the sailing community and see about getting on a sail boat.
    There are gardens and wineries all over the place.
    And DO NOT FORGET THE MOUNTAINS!!!!!!!!!!
    Dang it... Now I MISS IT!!!!!!
    --Diann...
  • amylynne26
    Options
    lol I could wax poetic about it ALL DAY LONG.... maybe because it's a beautiful 80 degrees and the only clouds in the sky are the big fluffy ones. :love: seriously though, I would consider the season but my one "don't miss no matter what" would be an Argosy cruise. They have dinner cruises, short cruises, long cruises.... we just did one w/ my stepdaughter not long ago and I thought I died and went to heaven. It was awesome. We did the citypass thing http://www.citypass.com/city/seattle.html?id=ioEtDKIJ and it was worth EVERY PENNY!
  • buckeyebabe
    Options
    awesome suggestions! I am writing them all down. I am bummed about the season thing. August would be way too soon and I have to try and get my parents to come stay with my kids. Drat! When does the rainy season end?

I loved the idea about the cruise that's awesome. I,of course, also want to see the mountains and hike Mt.Ranier. I guess we will just have to rent a car. Please go on and on about the state. I really need some great ideas and I would love to hear you rant on about the state!!

We love staying in the Mam and Pap hotels in small out of the way towns...anything like that near Mt. Ranier that you know of? Where is the best place to fly into? Do you know of any tour companies that are good...or even better ones that have you have heard to stay away from? I ordered the State Tour Guide but the website said it could be 2 months before I receive it here in Ohio.

Rain, huh?! Hmmmm....I don't know, maybe that would be off season rates then. :tongue:
  • Beccilynn
    Beccilynn Posts: 177
    Options
    I live in seattle (Des Moines) Best bet on a budget is stay at hotels by airport (seatac) they have a few nicer chains there,
    Mt Rainer/cascades
    Pike Place Market
    Seattle Underground Tour
    Take a ferry across the water to Bainbridge
    Olympics
    Snoquimie falls
    Seattle Center
    Seattle Art Museum
    Broadway

have tons of fun !!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I lived in Washington when Mt Saint Helen's blew...It is a GREAT thing to go see, to this day the damage shows throughout that area. I think that is one of the forgotten "must sees" in that beautiful state!

Washingtonians don't tan, they rust!
  • klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    Options
    buckeyebabe, are you perhaps from Columbus? I moved to the Northwest from Columbus a couple years ago for college. I highly recommend Vancouver, BC (just 3 hours away from Seattle). And a cruise is definitely a nice thing to do! If you aren't bringing a car I suggest taking the amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver. It leaves in the morning and you get a beautiful ride up the coast with the sun coming up. There's nothing like it! :love:
  • buckeyebabe
    Options
    I live in seattle (Des Moines) Best bet on a budget is stay at hotels by airport (seatac) they have a few nicer chains there,
    Mt Rainer/cascades
    Pike Place Market
    Seattle Underground Tour
    Olympics
    Snoquimie falls
    Seattle Center
    Seattle Art Museum
    Broadway

have tons of fun !!

You are awesome!! Broadway? I didn't know you guys had a lot of theatrical influence. That's wonderful! I am going to write all this down and check it out via the web. Thanks so much, I so appreciate the help!!
  • buckeyebabe
    Options
    buckeyebabe, are you perhaps from Columbus? I moved to the Northwest from Columbus a couple years ago for college. I highly recommend Vancouver, BC (just 3 hours away from Seattle). And a cruise is definitely a nice thing to do! If you aren't bringing a car I suggest taking the amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver. It leaves in the morning and you get a beautiful ride up the coast with the sun coming up. There's nothing like it! :love:

What an awesome suggestion!! Yes, I live outside of Columbus. Go Bucks!!

Did you like living here? You didn't go to OSU?

This was the best idea I have had in months....well, perhaps one of the only ideas I have had in months. Since the kids have been out of school my brain is turned off!! It's survival of the fittest!:tongue:
  • buckeyebabe
    Options
    I lived in Washington when Mt Saint Helen's blew...It is a GREAT thing to go see, to this day the damage shows throughout that area. I think that is one of the forgotten "must sees" in that beautiful state!

Washingtonians don't tan, they rust!

Another fantastic idea...keep them coming guys, who needs a travel agent when we have this community?!! This website is great for many things!!:laugh:
  • amylynne26
    Options
    rainy season ends.... in July. :tongue: ok I'm being slightly facetious. Here's the thing with the rain though. It's NOT as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.... I only bring it up because there are those who consider any wetness the ruining of an otherwise good time. I don't. It just is what it is, I wear a rain jacket w/ a hood and call it good. (I tease my mom because she carries an umbrella... only TOURISTS carry umbrellas.... :laugh: ) You may also get lucky and only have off and on sprinkles. Besides, we would not have the most amazing foliage w/out the rain. Additional must sees in my opinion - Pike Place Market (it's just so darn funky and fun) Alki Beach, (you can take the bus) the Zoo is decent (although Pt. Defiance in Tacoma is supposed to be WAY better).

Check in to B&B's.... I think that will be your best bet for the mom and pop/outdoorsy type of hotel. Oooh you could probably rent a cabin.... fun! Definitely fly in to Sea-Tac Int'l, it's really our only major airport.

There is a good chance you will not "see" Mt. Rainier... it's larger than life when the skies are clear, but when it's rainy/cloudy... well it just kinda disappears. The first time I ever saw it (I moved to Seattle in May many years ago) I had lived here for several weeks and was coming around a corner when BAM! I almost drove off the road. It was just so shocking to see it. I was a midwestern girl before that and we don't have mountains in Kansas! :laugh: Another option if you do rent a car is a scenic drive through the Olympic Peninsula... a couple of hours from Seattle but it is BEAUTIFUL! You might also consider the Victoria Clipper to Victoria, Canada if you have time/$$

I'll try to dig up some good links for you re: tour companies, etc. Argosy is AWESOME for cruises etc...
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    A few years ago, we spent 10 days in Washington for vacation... It was fabulous. We spent some time in Seattle, then went north to the San Juan Islands for camping and hiking. GORGEOUS! Then we literally drove around the state down to Mt. Ranier. It was really rainy and I was so done with camping, so we found this quaint little community with little log cabins. I wish I could remember the name of it. It was awesome! Each small cabin had a sitting area with a wood burning stove and the most comfy bed ever! They also had these great private hot tubs... you know the barrel kind that overlooked trees. I will try to find out the name of that place.

BTW... another buckeye here. I'm also in Columbus (U.A.).
  • amylynne26
    Options
    Mt Rainer/cascades
    Pike Place Market
    Seattle Underground Tour
    Olympics
    Snoquimie falls
    Seattle Center
    Seattle Art Museum
    Broadway

have tons of fun !!

You are awesome!! Broadway? I didn't know you guys had a lot of theatrical influence. That's wonderful! I am going to write all this down and check it out via the web. Thanks so much, I so appreciate the help!!

5th ave theater.... showbox.... the improv at Pike Place... lol oh man too much to do less than 6 months :laugh:
  • Beccilynn
    Beccilynn Posts: 177
    Options
    we do have lots of great theaters
    www.5thavenue.org
    http://www.theparamount.com/

Broadway is actually a part of town ..... Capital Hill area .... it is the artsy / eclectic group , with lots of cool shops ...

Here is you a great website !

http://www.visitseattle.org/visitors/
  • amylynne26
    Options
    and if you like fish and chips you must go to Ivars and feed the seagulls.

http://www.ivars.net/index.php?page=locations_acres-of-clams

I really need to get off this thread and get back to work..... :grumble:
  • klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    Options
    BTW... another buckeye here. I'm also in Columbus (U.A.).

AHH, that's where I graduated from high school! Haha, small world. I went to Vancouver, BC for school and my parents used to live in Seattle so I'm pretty familiar with the area. I never liked Seattle much (sorry guys!) but I definitely recommend the view from Queen Anne's hill and I also second Pike's (and of course have to advocate Vancouver! Victoria is really nice too, but will cost you more $$).

And buckeyebabe I thought about going to OSU, but I just had to get out of Ohio. It was a nice place to grow up, but I was done. My family has always moved around a lot, too. My parents are from Europe, and I live there now as well. Man, there is nothing more discouraging than being surrounded by tiny French women--especially when half of them are related to you! :grumble:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    rainy season ends.... in July. :tongue: ok I'm being slightly facetious. Here's the thing with the rain though. It's NOT as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.... I only bring it up because there are those who consider any wetness the ruining of an otherwise good time. I don't. It just is what it is, I wear a rain jacket w/ a hood and call it good. (I tease my mom because she carries an umbrella... only TOURISTS carry umbrellas.... :laugh: ) You may also get lucky and only have off and on sprinkles. Besides, we would not have the most amazing foliage w/out the rain. Additional must sees in my opinion - Pike Place Market (it's just so darn funky and fun) Alki Beach, (you can take the bus) the Zoo is decent (although Pt. Defiance in Tacoma is supposed to be WAY better).

Check in to B&B's.... I think that will be your best bet for the mom and pop/outdoorsy type of hotel. Oooh you could probably rent a cabin.... fun! Definitely fly in to Sea-Tac Int'l, it's really our only major airport.

There is a good chance you will not "see" Mt. Rainier... it's larger than life when the skies are clear, but when it's rainy/cloudy... well it just kinda disappears. The first time I ever saw it (I moved to Seattle in May many years ago) I had lived here for several weeks and was coming around a corner when BAM! I almost drove off the road. It was just so shocking to see it. I was a midwestern girl before that and we don't have mountains in Kansas! :laugh: Another option if you do rent a car is a scenic drive through the Olympic Peninsula... a couple of hours from Seattle but it is BEAUTIFUL! You might also consider the Victoria Clipper to Victoria, Canada if you have time/$$

I'll try to dig up some good links for you re: tour companies, etc. Argosy is AWESOME for cruises etc...

I was trying to find an umbrella carrying smiley but I couldn't find one. :bigsmile:
  • buckeyebabe
    Options
    Hey Natalie!! Thanks for the great info! You are in columbus huh?! You will have to send me a note and let me know where...since we aren't supposed to post that info. If you run and you are close maybe we could run together.

If you get that info about the cabins, as we love the little secluded lovers lane, let me know! I would love to check it out!!

Go Bucks!!
  • buckeyebabe
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the help!!! I so appreciate it! I have a list a mile long just to start looking and I am only planning on coming out for about 5 nights!! I can't wait you have all made me so excited about planning this trip! We are such outdoor people so I know he will love it and you just can't let your 40th go by without something special!!

You guys rock!!

thanks!