For Those of You Who Lost a Lot of Weight

Options
I'm in the early stages of a 120-lb loss. Slowly lost 30, got 90 more to go. About the past three weeks my weight has not budged (actually gained a lb today, but Wednesday is my official weigh-in day, so it doesn't count, right? :laugh:). I had a calorie allowance of 1,620 and was eating roughly half my exercise calories back with a goal of losing a lb a week. Today I decided to cut the calorie allowance to 1,460 and eat back 1/3 of exercise calories in hopes of getting the scale moving again.

Here's the question: If you lost a lot of weight, how often did you have to lower your calorie intake? With me having to lower calories so early into the weight loss journey, I'm wondering what lies ahead. Will I eventually have to eat under 1,000 a day to reach goal or will the body somehow adjust and weight loss will keep going at a more reasonable intake?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Rather than cutting your calories, you should be going the other way and adding calories. Eat more to weigh less. In other words, instead of eating half your exercise calories back, eat them all back. Your body wants to hold on to the fat because it's not getting the fuel it needs.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had to keep upping mine as I went.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I never actually lowered my calorie intake as I was losing, I did the opposite. I started on MFP with the 1200 calorie goal, and pretty soon realised that it wasn't going to be enough as I was really struggling with energy and weakness. So, I upped it to 1400 for a while, and then again. One thing you have to realise is that it will slow down the closer you get to goal, so you should be aiming to get a smaller deficit.

Having said that, with 90 lbs left to go, you should reasonably be able to lose 1 lb a week, maybe a bit more. I wouldn't panic yet after 3 weeks, but maybe leave it a couple more weeks to see if it gets moving again. If you've been restricting for a long while, you might want to consider a full diet break and eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks before cutting again. Check this out: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html You might also find this blog post on plateaus helpful: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

If you're still struggling, maybe make a post in this group forum and ask Sara and Sidesteel to check your numbers. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I let MFP set my goals for me. It has worked great. As I've lost weight the calorie allotment has gotten lower. I use exercise to "buy" more calories, which gives me the ability to have occasional treats. I rarely eat back all of my exercise calories. That said, there are plateaus. It is a natural part of the process. Sometimes my weight stays the same for weeks, though I'm "doing everything right." I stay with the program, and eventually my weight drops again. Getting enough exercise and water are important factors for me. Good luck.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I started out eating around 2000 calories per day and lost but it's true that as you lose weight your TDEE will go down slooooowly. Near the end of my weight loss, I was averaging around 1700/day. Now my *maintenance* calories are around 2000.

Do you weigh/measure your food? That would be my first tip, if you aren't already. :flowerforyou: good luck!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I let MFP set my goals for me. It has worked great. As I've lost weight the calorie allotment has gotten lower. I use exercise to "buy" more calories, which gives me the ability to have occasional treats. I rarely eat back all of my exercise calories. That said, there are plateaus. It is a natural part of the process. Sometimes my weight stays the same for weeks, though I'm "doing everything right." I stay with the program, and eventually my weight drops again. Getting enough exercise and water are important factors for me. Good luck.

I had a similar approach/experience. And I totally agree with Jester as well :smile:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't simply just cutting more calories. I got stuck.. ate more.. got past my plateau. The problem is now that I've finished my bulking phase I'm having a hard time cutting.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I do have a food scale and weigh just about everything. Eating more to lose weight doesn't seem intuitive. All the research I've read points to a deficit causing weight loss, so why would eating more be the answer to overcoming a stall?

Anyway, I had an epic fail today with eating 1,460 calories and 1/3 of calories burned back. Ended up so hungry by evening I ate the 1,460 plus all my exercise calories. If I'm to stick to this new plan, I'm going to have to find willpower of steel to keep me from the goodies in the house. If there's research to show that eating more can help with weigh loss, I'd love some links! I want to be convinced. :flowerforyou:
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I never actually lowered my calorie intake as I was losing, I did the opposite. I started on MFP with the 1200 calorie goal, and pretty soon realised that it wasn't going to be enough as I was really struggling with energy and weakness. So, I upped it to 1400 for a while, and then again. One thing you have to realise is that it will slow down the closer you get to goal, so you should be aiming to get a smaller deficit.

Having said that, with 90 lbs left to go, you should reasonably be able to lose 1 lb a week, maybe a bit more. I wouldn't panic yet after 3 weeks, but maybe leave it a couple more weeks to see if it gets moving again. If you've been restricting for a long while, you might want to consider a full diet break and eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks before cutting again. Check this out: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html You might also find this blog post on plateaus helpful: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

If you're still struggling, maybe make a post in this group forum and ask Sara and Sidesteel to check your numbers. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Thanks for the links; I'll be checking them out soon!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I do have a food scale and weigh just about everything. Eating more to lose weight doesn't seem intuitive. All the research I've read points to a deficit causing weight loss, so why would eating more be the answer to overcoming a stall?

Anyway, I had an epic fail today with eating 1,460 calories and 1/3 of calories burned back. Ended up so hungry by evening I ate the 1,460 plus all my exercise calories. If I'm to stick to this new plan, I'm going to have to find willpower of steel to keep me from the goodies in the house. If there's research to show that eating more can help with weigh loss, I'd love some links! I want to be convinced. :flowerforyou:
    The number of calories you burn in a day is your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). To lose weight, you need to eat less than that. "Eating more to weigh less" doesn't mean eating more than your TDEE, it really means eating more than a lot of people think you need to eat to lose weight - more than the bare minimum. It means not having a huge calorie deficit. I'm not an expert, but the theory is, I think, that by eating at a smaller deficit, you avoid losing too much lean mass as you lose weight, and avoid your metabolic rate adapting too much in a downwards direction. There is a group forum on this too: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Patience 3 weeks is nothing too many people start changing there diets as soon as it slows. Weight loss is not linear and frequently will go in fits and starts. Personally I wouldn't put your calories up or down. I would leave them exactly where they are for a bit longer. Check your are logging everything correctly. Also if your exercise is very planned and you do same routine same time we'd. Consider doing something a bit different
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have lost 65 kg (approx 145 lbs). I have stuck to the calories mfp gave me the whole way through and had a steady 1 kg/w (2 lbs/wk) loss for an entire year and .5 kg (1 lb) /wk loss since. The last month I've had a plateau because I'm only 2kg from goal and that's always the last to lose, but I have lost 1 kg this week and that's cool.

I had myself set to 1.5 lbs/wk loss for the first year and ate my calories and half my exercise calories back. When I bought myself a HRM (heart rate monitor), I then ate ALL of my exercise calories back.

I learned that going over on sodium caused me to retain water and thus look like I'd either gained weight or I had plateaued. I learned that if I didn't eat enough fibre, I would get, ahem, backed up and that, too, would make me look like I had either gained weight or I had plateaued. I learned that sometimes, the scales don't move, but the cm/inches do! It's not all about the scales. I also learned that drinking water was really important and I try to always get my full 8 cups of water in every day.

Also, to answer your question about when to reduce calories, I followed MFP's suggestion of reducing calories every 5 kg lost and I did it in line with MFP's recommendations. In my opinion, it's best to follow the "programme", rather than muck with it thinking I know better.

ETA: My 1kg/wk loss doesn't mean that I lost 1 kg per week every week. It means that in 52 weeks, I lost 51.something kg, so it's an average number. Some weeks I lost nothing, some weeks I lost 2 kg to make up for it! As another poster said, weight loss is not linear.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    This and try dropping some of the sodium you are consuming and drink some water.

• grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lowered mine WAY too much - went down to 1200 on paper, (and 900 was the reality if I'm being honest)

But then I started lifting weights as well as cardio, and eating more - and the results are A LOT, as in MUCHO better. I have more energy, my bodyfat is going bye-bye, and I feel like a warrior.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

I would suggest reading the 4 posts in there to start off with.

To answer your question, I never reduced my calories. I ate exactly what MFP told me to eat, including all of my exercise calories. The only thing I did was be very conservative on what my actual calorie burn was from the exercise I was doing. MFP tends to over-estimate the burn in my case. I went out and got a HRM to solve that problem asap. :bigsmile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I actually eat more than I did when I started now, but I'm more active too. When I started, my goal was not too bad, 1690 or something ('lose 1 lb a week' always), but I was avoiding all 'junk' so was usually full after 1200-1400 calories. Then I started working out a bit without eating my exercise calories... then started eating some back once I got my HRM, and increased my calories little by little... I eat 1700 now (although still less if I'm really not hungry), but it's easier because I've started eating 'junk' again.

I just pretty much eat close to MFP's goal plus exercise calories still.
  • servalan
    servalan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use the phone app, and I let MFP pick my cals. HOWEVER, I did have the same problem you describe, of eating according to goal (not always eating all of my cals back) and not losing any more after 30 pounds. I didn't lose a thing for a month! I think I figured out the problem, for me anyway.

When you type in how many times a week you will exercise and how many minutes, it estimates how many cals you will burn. This number is not displayed on the app (nowhere I've found anyway). When I went on the webpage after the redesign, I saw how many cals it expects I would burn in that amount of time, and I wasn't close. I was burning an average of 350 cals and MFP was estimating over 500 cals per workout. Woah! No wonder I wasn't losing! So I lowered the number of minutes, and now I'm upping my goal to 500 cals per workout. (I'm sure I was so out of shape, that earlier, what I was doing was fine, and I still lost, even though I wasn't burning the estimated number of cals. That definitely can't work forever though.)