Which is better white rice or brown rice?

Options

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    neither. they are both starches essentially. steer clear of both if you can.

Lol and the reasoning for that would be?

probably similar to the reason he doesn't believe in counting calories either.....
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    brown rice also has a horrible omega 6/omega 3 ratio in its fat content, whereas white rice has little fat.

There's so little fiber in rice anyway, that IMO, you're not gaining much of anything (unless you prefer the taste) healthwise by going "whole grain" here.

About the only advantage nutritionally that brown rice has is more minerals, but even that is offset by more, and more bioavailable vitamins in white rice.

You're basically arguing over the level of nutritional suckitude to even start trying to differentiate between the two.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Heathen.

To answer the OP: White Rice. Why? Because I like it more.

kf46ee.gif

White (rice) here, too. With butter and salt.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    OP, it depends on whether you're upset about the idea of Lectins. If so, then avoid brown rice, as all the toxins are in the bran, which is removed to make rice white.

I hate brown rice anyway, so only eat white basmati.

Edit to include link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/lectins/#axzz2b6pkUHcJ
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I only eat white rice, but then again my wife is Chinese and I think my mother in law would laugh at the suggestion of brown rice.

Her family eats tons of white rice daily and no one has diabetes or is overweight.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    what are the health benefits of white rice and brown rice and which is better or healthier? :ohwell:

anyone? which is better the brown rice or the white rice?

Brown rice is... no wait white.

Ummm, no i think brown is. Maybe its white?

Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-10.gif

Add mustard
  • cfergusontx
    Options
    You have a gift for making threads that have been made every day. Either that or you really are just trolling this site.

oh man,, plsss,, are u serious? accusing me of trolling? whats wrong with my thread is that a problem to u? ,, maybe ur the one whose trolling,, if you dont have a nice comment on my thread or no respect,, just ignore my thread ok? ,,

I totally agree and good for you!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    what are the health benefits of white rice and brown rice and which is better or healthier? :ohwell:

The nutrients are more bio-available in white rice, plus it tastes better. FTW!
  • cfergusontx
    Options
    definitely brown rice. the fiber cover makes the whole difference. even in this variety go for the minimally processed one. the feeling of fullness in the tummy too.. it takes longer to cook that white rice.. n if u are already used to white rice, it would just take a few meals to get used to it. i loved the change it brought about in my life.

my reasons for sticking to brown rice are as follows:
    more filling
    more fiber and minerals in the coat, so nutrition is up
    it doesn't cause the sudden sugar shoot up in blood(so better for diabetics)
    more chewy, so spends more time in mouth
    goes well with all my indian curries
    leaves my satisfaction of eating something really healthy in a day

just an added info.. am a doctor.. :smile:

Love this. I also prefer brown rice. I like the chewy goodness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

troll..

...I mean, in for more thought provoking dialogue.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've switched to whole grains for everything, so I've started eating brown rice. I've discovered that I actually like the flavor of it better, so I'll stick with it :) But, I think this is one case where it's more of a preference thing, than one being better or worse nutritionally. Everything I've read says they're pretty close as far as nutrients and such go.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Whichever fits the flavor profile of the meal and fits within your allotted calories is the one you should pick.

Or both. Both works, too.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    white! basmati. jasmine...
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    They are not the same.

Whole gain brown rice is healthier for you.
  • annabee8701
    Options
    White rice has no nutritional value. It basically breaks up into glucose molecules and a lot of them. People often feel 'burnt out' and become tired after eating white rice or carbohydrates. Do yourself a favour and avoid white rice at all cost =)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Has anyone checked webmd.com or livestrong.com?