Week one and no weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• mjschumacher100
    Options
    All wrong so far, you should be seeing weight loss in the first day or two really, unless you had a nice diet to begin with. But here's a few observations.

1. You're not at a calorie deficit. If you were you'd be losing fat. So either a) your maintenance calories are wrong or b) your food input is wrong.
    2. You macro splits are all wrong. Way too many carbs and not enough protein. Forget measuring sodium and sugar. Get a more reasonable split on the protein etc. For me I like to think a split of 40% carbs, 30% protein 30% fat is a good starting point.

My advice, switch your splits manually (the MFP split is stupid) and reduce your calories to 1,800 and see what happens.

EDIT>>>Also, are you double counting your exercise and daily energy expenditure? For you my guess is 1900 cals would be 'about' the right daily intake for maintenance. This would include exercise. So if you are eating 1,900 cals you can't then add another 500 for doing some exercise. You need to be careful to figure out exactly what your TDEE is and not double count activity.

PS Stay off the booze for a bit. You'll have more progress and less bad days. Just a month, see what happens.

I raise the BS flag.

and eating at a deficit does not mean fat loss. It means WEIGHT loss. he could very well lose muscle AND fat at the same time.

yes- ideally it would all be fat- but it isn't a sure fire thing.

I've been eating at a deficit for months and have been cutting slowly- very very slowly If it happened in a week- bodybuilders wouldn't do this **** for months on end to prepare for shows.

Although I tend to agree MFP splits are lame- and MOAR PROTEIN. (I'm on a 40/40/20 split- so carbs seriously aren't my thing) LOL

Give it time- one week just isn't much time at all.

Patience is absolutely the biggest ingredient to weight loss that people seem to forget.

A calorie deficit does mean fat loss. If you do not lose fat then there's something wrong. Don't start playing strawman, I didn't say a thing about not meaning muscle loss.

Re. bodybuilders, not the best of examples. Yes prep can take months but we're not talking about a drop from 20% BF to 15%, we're talking about maybe 12% to sub 6%. Trust me when I tell you I can drop 5% BF in no time at 15% but it takes me a Loooooooong time to get to the 5% level from 10%. Those last few % are nigh on impossible to achieve hence the pros turning to T3, clen, Eph, DNP, Tren and so on. Your body isn't built for this and it's the hardest thing you'll ever do. But when you're in the overweight category dropping fat is simple given the correct training and diet.

But I agree, patience is important. not least because metabolic damage is an issue for people who jump on huge calorie drops to see quick change.

Notwithstanding that, you should be seeing changes in your body within the first week if you're doing things right.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your weight naturally fluctuates as much as 5lbs during the day. You may very well have lost a pound but it's hidden by the fluctuations. That's why I don't weigh myself more than every two weeks.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    A bit early to start judging weightloss I tend to get results the week after I diet/exercise etc. More importantly you didn't gain so that is positive.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Early to start judging but if you had a decent week where you expected to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs and then 'fell off the wagon' the first weekend, its pretty easy to undo anything you may have accomplished during the week. Doesn't mean you're not losing but 5 days on/2 days off, especially early on, is not going to help.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    OP so what were the quick add calories, only if they are not accurate they may have pushed you way over your amount.

I added everything I ate to a tee last week.

Why are they as quick add calories? If you were accurate in your adding them up, why did you not put them in as each food instead of quick add?

I have a suspicion, this is where your problem lies.

Maybe I'm missing it, but where do you see the quick add calories in his diary...I can't find any quick add calories. Care to elaborate?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    OP so what were the quick add calories, only if they are not accurate they may have pushed you way over your amount.

I added everything I ate to a tee last week.

Why are they as quick add calories? If you were accurate in your adding them up, why did you not put them in as each food instead of quick add?

I have a suspicion, this is where your problem lies.

Maybe I'm missing it, but where do you see the quick add calories in his diary...I can't find any quick add calories. Care to elaborate?

Just had another look, I am so sorry, I saw "quick tools" and misread it as those being added as "quick add calories" - so sorry OP :embarassed: