Any other vegans out there?

Options
I'm vegan and have been since march (i know my diary probably shows things that aren't vegan but usually the thing I ate isn't listed as its an obscure brand so I just find similar at the same calories, Also I do eat eggs from the chickens my friends keep, but only as boiled etc not in recipes)
I was wondering if Anyone has any nice simple breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack recipes or ideas? I'm a bit bored of what I have been eating. Also it would be helpful if the recipes were for one as I'm the only vegan in the house and the others don't like food they don't consider 'proper' (sigh)
Anyway, please any ideas are welcome, thanks! :)
Ooh, also what are some protein rich foods as I heard this helps hunger, fullnes etc as I have BED/bulimia and think it might help to eat more protein, please don t tell me not to go on this site if I have an ED as since being on here I have improved a lot.

Replies

• GroolyIrene
    Options
    Hello!
    I've been vegan for over 2 years now, and cut out dairy a 2 years before that. I've only just started using this app so I can't really help in terms of the food diary.

Tofu is my main source of protein. I like to shallow fry it until it's crispy and then add a bit of soy sauce to the hot pan so it soaks it up. It's yummy in sandwiches and salads or even just on top a jacket potato with salad.

Since I've been trying to lose weight I have been eating a lot more salads and sprinkling mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, hemp) over it to help fill me up which really works. It's good protein, has a lot of omega oils and I don't think it's as fattening as nuts.

I recently bought a blender as well which I've been making a lot of soups and smoothies with. I find these really filling and good snacks or dinners. If you want a little bit of extra luxury in it you can add a bit of soya cream or yoghurt for richness but I usually find that it's nice enough without that. Spicy parsnip is one of my current favourites. If you roast the veggies first it gives so much more flavour! And if you make too much it will last days in the fridge or you can freeze it.

I hope this helps, and good luck beating your ED.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi,made a quick an easy mushroom soup tonight.

Olive oil, spring onions, mushrooms, flour and veg stock. Cook altogether and then blend. Kids think it looks disgusting but I think it tastes great. Not so high in protein but has lots of fibre.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I didn't know vegans ate eggs
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but if you eat eggs you are not vegan. I'd eat more eggs if I were you. But remember everything has protein in. Example broccolli has more protein per calorie than beef.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    , Also I do eat eggs from the chickens my friends keep, but only as boiled etc not in recipes)

If you are eating eggs you are not vegan. Anything that is from an animal or has animal byproducts in it is not vegan (dairy, butter, margarines, most jellos, marshmallows, some breads, a lot of sauces/dressings, etc).. a lot of regular white sugar is also not vegan. By the look of your diary you are vegetarian, not vegan.

If you are indeed vegetarian eat eggs, broccoli, dark greens, lentils, beans, legumes, nuts, tofu, soy milk, protein powders, etc for extra protein. There is a ton of it out there.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Also I do eat eggs from the chickens my friends keep, but only as boiled etc not in recipes)
    You're not a Vegan then you're a Vegetarian. It doesn't matter if it's from a friends chickens it's still an animal product.
  • tonrob38
    tonrob38 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been juicing, for my breakfast I wil have a juice of carrot, apple and ginger. I know this will prob put my sugar over and prob even my calories, but whatever, I love it and its fresh and a good way to get fruit and veg in
    for lunch I will prob do black bean burger raw veg
    for snack I will juice again, carrot, apple and spinach
    dinner, who knows I will make sure it a proper one.

I am interested in other ideas as well as recipes
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    A wonderful breakfast with limited calories and a good fill me up power:

1 slice Ezekiel whole grain sprouted bread
    chopped veggies, raw ( your choice, I use cucumber, sweet red pepper, tomato slices, mushroom)
    a little mustard ( I love southwest spicy)
    1 piece of vegan sliced cheese ( I use Galaxy food mozzarella or pepper jack flavor)

Plop everything together with bread on bottom and "cheese" slice on top.

Put in toaster oven on about 375 degrees. First depress the medium toast setting, then let it cook for about 5 or so minutes.
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Tofu's probably your best bet for protein since it's low in calories and high in protein. Here's a recipe of my own creation (which I really like ^___^). It's one serving, so if half a block of tofu doesn't sound filling to you you up, I would just double the recipe. That's what I do sometimes.

Spicy Orange Tofu

1 orange, sliced

a handful of dried chilies

1/2 cup orange juice

2 small garlic cloves, crushed

2 teaspoon sriracha 

2 teaspoons tamari (or soy sauce)

1 ½ tablespoons mirin 

2 teaspoons maple syrup 

water chestnuts 
½ block firm tofu 

1 tablespoons olive oil 
a handful of cilantro leaves

Mix orange juice, soy sauce, mirin, maple syrup, and garlic in a bowl and set aside. Cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces and pat dry with a paper towel. Put the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the tofu and fry for 3 minutes, or until golden underneath. Turn and cook the other side for another 3 minutes, or until golden. Pour the orange juice mixture into the pan and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced to a lovely thick glaze. Turn the tofu once more during this time and spoon the sauce over the tofu from time to time. Serve the tofu drizzled with any remaining sauce and a squeeze of lime.

- - -

Beans are also good for protein. I tend to like black beans, but refried beans are good too. I add pico de gallo, avocado, Tofutti sour cream and hot sauce. I just throw it in a bowl, but you can always put it in a tortilla and make a burrito.

- - -

And here's a few sandwich recipes I like.

Hummus Sandwich:
    -bread
    -hummus
    -tomato
    -red onion
    -spinach
    -red bell pepper
    -avocado

Cucumber Sandwich:
    -bread
    -veganaise
    -lemon pepper
    -cayenne pepper
    -cilantro
    -tomato
    -cucumber
    -green leaf lettuce
    -avocado

Hawaiian Sandwich:
    -bread
    -veganaise
    -teriyaki sauce
    -tomato
    -pineapple
    -green leaf lettuce

- - -

Oh, and I almost forgot. You can make pretty good quesadillas with daiya cheese, chopped onion and red and green bell pepper. I wouldn't recommend using the cheese by itself though. It tastes kind of weird without the veggies to me.