Never Met A Jerk At The Gym

Options
dirty_dirty_eater
dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
We frequently get stories here about someone being a jerk at the gym. So many people here complain of being offended at the gym that I just don't understand how, over the last 30+ years of on and off gym use, I've never been offended.

Sure, sometimes (this morning) I find that whoever was in the gym last night failed to re-rack their weights. Sometimes people loiter a bit long on a bench when I would like to use it. Sometimes they fail to wipe the sweat off of the stairmaster when they get off of it.

It is entirely possible that some stud has watched my workout with disdain, or some hot chick has wished she had something better than a sweaty old guy on the machine next to her. I just don't see any reason to assume that.

I go to the gym to get a workout, improve my body and my outlook on life through the physical release. I don't go there to be offended, which may be why I'm not.

Replies

• wonderbolt
    Options
    Last week, when I was doing squats, a random guy came over and put his hands on my waist.

I don't go there to be offended, but that's kind of hard to ignore.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Some people get stuck on the small things in life. I would be annoyed a little by lack of gym etiquette but once I handle it (wipe done, rerack, etc) the issue is over to me.
  • vtmoon
    Options
    Last week, when I was doing squats, a random guy came over and put his hands on my waist.

Did he give you an explanation for his sexual assault?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Chances are, there are jerks at your gym

Chances are, there are sexist people amongst those jerks

Just deal with it like in real life and tell them to piss off instead of making a thread about it and crying all over. Everytime you cry, you basically validate the jerks and give them pleasure in their actions.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I would tend to agree! The worst encounter I had at a gym was someone who scoffed at my grandmother and I for being in the steam room together. That was at Vic Tanny's about 20 years ago. Other than that - I've only found people at the gym focused on what they are there for, with the occasional chit-chat.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I've had one person in all of my gym going years that said something rude. It wasn't my problem, but his, so it didn't bother me. I made fun of him in my head and went on with my day.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    Options

Yes, I'm sure there are legitimate reasons to be offended. Unwanted touching certainly applies. Unfortunately, no woman has ever subjected me to that. :-)

The vast majority of experiences at the gym do not rise to that sort of level.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I've had a dropped 50 lb weight (from someone else) roll on my foot before.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    Options

Maybe they read some of your threads here and wanted to introduce themselves?
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

THIS
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options

Did he give you an explanation for his sexual assault?

I thought she would enjoy it. Sue me.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

kelso-burn.jpg

:heart: you, noob :bigsmile:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

That is not a time to be offended. It's a time to rack the bar, turn around, and introduce your foot to his crotchular region.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Or, just playing devil's advocate here, maybe he thought you were struggling and was trying to spot you. Granted, he should have asked you but there MIGHT be a legit reason for him touching you.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've met a clean one.
  • vtmoon
    Options

Or, just playing devil's advocate here, maybe he thought you were struggling and was trying to spot you. Granted, he should have asked you but there MIGHT be a legit reason for him touching you.

If you sneak on someone mid lift you are risking them injured cause you might startle them and cause them to lose form or the weights. Unless you grab the weights in a way to lessen the weight on their muscles/form.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

If you sneak on someone mid lift you are risking them injured cause you might startle them and cause them to lose form or the weights. Unless you grab the weights in a way to lessen the weight on their muscles/form.

True. Like I said, just saying there is a possibility that no harm was intended.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    When I had my induction at the gym I was being shown all of the cardio machines (cross-trainer, treadmill etc) and he demonstrated how to use them.. Then when I asked how to use the weight machines and what free-weights he suggested he said "you don't need to worry about that, it's only for men"

A few weeks later I'd researched online how to use them all and taught myself.. I see the instructor in the gym now when he doing his own workout and I can lift heavier than him.

Ooh yea ;)
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    Options
    When I had my induction at the gym I was being shown all of the cardio machines (cross-trainer, treadmill etc) and he demonstrated how to use them.. Then when I asked how to use the weight machines and what free-weights he suggested he said "you don't need to worry about that, it's only for men"

A few weeks later I'd researched online how to use them all and taught myself.. I see the instructor in the gym now when he doing his own workout and I can lift heavier than him.

Ooh yea ;)

So, you chose to be motivated instead of offended. Good for you.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options

Ooh yea ;)

So, you chose to be motivated instead of offended. Good for you.

I was initially offended, I've had loads of guys try and intimidate me so I get off their benches and I simply stay on them for longer just to annoy them.

It's quite bitter of me but it keeps me working for longer :)