I'm Afraid if I Don't Workout...

Options
This is so irrational, but I'm so afraid that if I don't workout that I will gain weight. I am so used to working out for 1.5-2 hours a day and sometimes a 20-30 minute video in the evenings. So, I can basically eat whenever I want. So, when I tell myself it is time to take a day off and let my body rest, I have a hard time sticking to that because I plan my food like every other day. Which puts me over my calorie allotment. I always get freaked out and start working out. Today is one of those days. I just got done with my 2nd exercise video and I did a 35 minute walk up a hill in my neighborhood..

Can anyone help me with how to take a day off?
Does anyone else have this problem?
I know that on non-workout days I should just eat less but that is hard for me to do too because I eat what sounds good and at intervals throughout the day. It is hard for me to change.

Any advice?
Thank you

Replies

• VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Theres a good formula for eatting the same on days you work out and days you dont..

This is the equation that i use to determine my calorie intake:

For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

FOR MEN: 66+(6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 age in years)= BMR. that amount of calories you burn just from being alive.

Step 2: Take that number and multiply by your activity level:
    •1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
    •1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
    •1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
    •1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:
    •LOSE weight: Subtract 500
    •MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
    •GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day 8)
    •With this equation, you do NOT have to add or subtract on workout days vs. rest days. It makes it easy!
    •if you do not know your fitness level, take the AVERAGE between the two levels that sound like you.
  • Paleo_newbeginning
    Options
    I was the same way until I injured my knee bad last month and because of it, it's been almost two months since I've gotten a decent workout in( I plan on starting up sept once physio gets better) but all I'm saying is take it easy, you don't want to hurt your body by over working it. Also, your body needs at least one day of rest. So that it can heal itself up. Even if you go over one day during the week, as long as the food your consuming is healthy and not just junk food you won't gain weight. Don't forget that due to all the excersise you most likely have alot of muscle which needs to be fed :p so just relax and don't stress :p
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day 8)
    •With this equation, you do NOT have to add or subtract on workout days vs. rest days. It makes it easy!
    •if you do not know your fitness level, take the AVERAGE between the two levels that sound like you.
    ^^^ This! Having a fixed number of calories to stick to a day is the best way not to obsess over the numbers.

Edit: Also try having just one rest day. You'll be amazed at how much better your next day's workout is once you've had a proper chance to rest and recuperate. Rest means you get far more out of the workouts you do.
  • mmjensen2010
    mmjensen2010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok, thank you for those replies.

VanillaBeanSeed I did the math and I have a calorie number. Does this mean I should actually raise my allotment of daily calories to this new number that I got using that formula? And you said that even on non workout days you don't have to eat less with that formula. So, I can eat 2150 calories even days that I don't exercise and theoretically not gain any weight? I have mine set right now to 1500 but I usually eat between 1800-1900 calories which is me eating back about half of my exercise calories. Should I set my daily goal to be 2150 and then not eat back any exercise calories? I would like to try this, just want to make sure I've got it right.

And Paleo_newbeginning, thank you I need to be reminded if I don't take a break I could be forced to take an even longer break due to injury. I really don't want that so it's nice to be reminded it can happen to anyone at any time and I just need to slow down sometimes

Thank you guys I really needed to read your replies, it got me out of the mind frame that I was in yesterday. Hopefully now when I plan my rest day I can stick to it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to 2160 per day. I am to eat that everyday whether I workout or not. When I workout, I have to eat more in order to meet that goal. Just relax and enjoy your rest day. You won't gain weight because you at 2150 calories on a rest day.. provided it's not complete junk
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to 2160 per day. I am to eat that everyday whether I workout or not. When I workout, I have to eat more in order to meet that goal. Just relax and enjoy your rest day. You won't gain weight because you at 2150 calories on a rest day.. provided it's not complete junk
    And even if it is complete junk, carbs are carbs and calories are calories.

That being said, I feel that the 'rest day' thing is a myth - if not, generations of farmers would've had a problem.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well I wouldn't get too technical. You only gain 1 lb for every 3500 calories you over-eat. If you're working out as much as you say you are, I don't see how one or two days durring the week can pack on anything that you wouldn't just burn off later in the week.

From what I can tell women eat less on the whole anyhow, so this is a non-issue. Just do the math and rest assured that with that much excercise, you'll be fine.

Also, that seems like a lot of exercise for someone who isn't training for something. It's cool if you just enjoy working out like that and your body can take it, but you should probably be doing it more because you enjoy it, rather than due to fear of something else. Don't want to see you get hurt or stressed out.