How to make brown rice taste good???

Options

Replies

• SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like making it and then mixing it with some fresh red or yellow peppers, red onion, cucumber and cilantro. I also out a little bit of lemon juice or vinegar in it for an acid in it if tastes too bland.
  • MLgarcia3
    Options
    I add green onion and a scrambled egg and sprinkle some garlic salt and lemon pepper on it.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    :smile: right up my alley!! Make 1 cup every other day and put in the frig. 2 cups of water bring to a boil,add cup of brown rice, turn down burner to med, set timer for 25 mins. Comes out perfect everytime! PUT IN FRIG TILL NEEDED.
    When needed can add different spices,add cut veggies[already in frig],or just olive oil or butter.[microwave 1 min.] even use peanuts or rasins for flavor. Be creative and put in foods you like!:happy:
    Also other meals in frig,...cut up fruit, make big salad [good for about 48 hrs.]
    Always have prepared food in refrigerator so don't go to fast food or stop pick up candy,sweets,and carbs.[ALWAYS A WEAKNESS WHEN YOUR HUNGREY. That 7-11 is a killer when your starving.

Cup of cooked brown rice....216 cal,45 carbs,5 protein,&2 fat----EXcellent fiber[keeps you full longer] Always eat with a protein![beans]

P.S. CAN EVEN USE CAN VEGTABLES BUT I RINSE THEM BEFORE USING[SODIUM]:heart:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My kids love to add popcorn seasonings to their brown rice. Kernel Seasons and Land O Lakes make different flavors- sharp cheddar, white cheddar, parmesan garlic, etc. Also try cooking it in low sodium chicken or veggie broth or using low sodium soy sauce.

Different seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, anything to add whatever type of flavors that you like! Mrs. Dash makes great salt free seasonings also!
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    We love it. I buy the bagged rice in the oriental section of the grocery store. It's a medium grain rice, I think the brand is Tsuru Mai. And then just follow directions on the package to a tee. Electric steamers haven't worked well for me with the brown rice. And it doesn't bake well from a raw state.

Adding vegetables is good. And definitely broth or bouillon cubes enhance it. We often cook it ahead and then add to casseroles, like maybe Spanish rice: Cooked rice, sauteed peppers, canned diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne or hot peppers to taste, and maybe leftover chicken or lean beef or pork, plus any other vegetables you think will work, such as celery, zucchini, canned black beans, etc. Then top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 until bubbly and starting to brown.

Or serve it under a stir-fry. Good way to ease it into your diet by mixing with other familiar foods until you "get" the taste of it.:flowerforyou:
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    With any kind of rice, I like adding a handful of sweetcorn and a handful of frozen peas a few minutes before the end of the cooking time. Or some lightly sauteed mushrooms and peppers stirred through. They both work for me.

C
  • Mepheston
    Mepheston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I LOVE brown rice, I usually add some green onions and garlic the armoa and taste are amazing. :-)
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    Not sure if anyone suggested this but I add a lil bit of salsa and fat free sour cream to mine and LOVE IT. You could also do some fat free cheddar cheese mixed up with broccoli.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i have tried uncle bens brown rice and didnt like it because it was plain and dry and I had to add salsa and lite sour cream, then I made california brown rice and I liked it so much that I ate it plain?? I guess just try some different brands, I like a little garlic and I can't believe its not butter spray.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I do this with white rice as well...I sautee minced onion and garlic in a pan (use cooking spray or EVOO) after a few minutes add in the uncooked rice, sautee for a few minutes. Place in a pot and cook it in a veggie, chicken or beef broth instead of plain water. Bring to a boil and the cover and simmer until done. I get the organic natural broth cubes at the grocery store that are better for you.

You can also cook it with a little butter and garlic salt as well to give it some flavor. ( I do this with the instant brown rice)

Ditto this too, I love doing it this way
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in broth and add onion powder, garlic powder, and ground ginger. It's yummy!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in broth and then stir in sauteed vegies and seasoning:

IF we're having mexican, I would add mexican type spices, a diced tomato, garlic and some corn, all sauteed together first.

If we're having asian, like a stirfry, I saute some diced onion, peas, corn, and an egg.

Take a look through your fridge and be creative :)
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    We eat a lot of brown rice and we love it! I usually add a pack of taco seasoning to the water when it's boiling and then add the rice to cook. Then when it's cooked, I add some low fat shredded cheese and some salsa and some fat free sour cream. Then eat it in low fat tortillas. Yummy! (extra additions I sometimes add; sweet corn, black beans, onions, low fat re-fried beans, cilantro)
  • mlagena
    mlagena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    mine's really plain comapred to everyone else! lol I use the 90sec Uncle Bens brown & wild rice. Usually I just mix in Italian seasoning! Maybe .25tsp of Light butter to help it stick. :smile:
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice, I eat it plain as is!!

Try different brands, they all taste different. I use success brand, I think tastes better than steamfresh brand. But I like both!!!
  • texasrose73
    Options
    I cook mine in my rice cooker with a couple chopped green onions, some mushrooms, and a packet of dry onion soup mix. And I use fat-free beef broth instead of water. It's YUMMY!!
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I toast some almond slivers and stir into the rice when it's almost done. Love the nutty flavor the almonds add plus they are good for you (in moderation).
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    I buy the Birds Eye Steamfrest Brown Rice. Its a bag you put in the microwave like the vegetables in the bag. Its very good. I add 1/4 tsp. of salt and pour a little of the liquid butter over it. I also eat it with fish or chicken or vegetables.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I too cook mine in chicken broth/boullion. Just add a couple tsps. to the water no butter or salt. I use uncle Bens the long cooking, it takes about 25-30 min. Make sure you cook it all the way. Then I let it cool in the pan and then put a 1/2 cup of rice in snack bags and put some in the freezer and some in the fridge. So it is always ready for what ever I want to put it with, chicken, shrimp, whatever. Oh and if you buy the longer cooking rice(not minute rice) be sure to keep uncooked in the freezer, because it can go rancid in a cupboard if kept long time. Because it is more natural that can happen the white rice is so refined that there is no natural hull on the grain to go bad. I watched a whole Alton Brown episode about brown rice, very interesting.:wink:
  • octopusbeard
    octopusbeard Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with water, and mix salsa into it.