Healthy Meal Ideas?

Options
fitmom07
fitmom07 Posts: 215 Member
I have recently started my fitness journey. I am doing awesome on my workouts, however, I struggle with my nutrition. I need some ideas for some healthy meals. I eat salmon and sweet potatoes, or baked chicken, all kinds of veggies and fruits, but I need some ideas on other healthy things I can prepare for dinners.

Replies

• Kerilynnda
    Kerilynnda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    In for the suggestions too!! I am getting so sick of salmon and chicken... ugh!
  • floridaboater
    floridaboater Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a busy working mom so struggle with this, too. I try to take regular food and make it healthy so we can all enjoy. Fish (tilapia)...fish tacos for kids, no taco shell for me. Taco salads (beef or chicken)...shrimp fajitas (I make it a salad without the tortilla and no salad dressing, just salsa)...turkey meatloaf and mashed cauliflower...meat and veggies...salmon and veggies...spaghetti squash with sauce instead of noodles...turkey burgers and homemade baked fries...

Hope this helps!
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is lean and versatile. You can do an herb rub, bbq rub, citrus or sweet and roast it. I make chili (white bean and turkey or black bean and beef), tostadas (with baked corn tortillas), homemade meatballs over polenta (fewer cals than pasta), quiche (sometimes crustless). Chicken is pretty versatile--honey mustard, balsamic, citrus, herb, bbq, wine, etc. I prefer chicken breasts braised or grilled over baked because they don't dry out that way.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Baked lemon pepper tilapia with steamed veggies
    Crispy ranch chicken (chicken coated with plain bread crumbs mixed with dry ranch mix and baked) with olive oil and garlic sauteed spinach
    BBQ chicken with corn on the cob!
    Baked pork chop (salt and pepper seasoned) with roasted veggies (squash, potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, onions, peppers, whatever is in season)
    Whole wheat spaghetti with homemade sauce
    Stir fry! cubed chicken or pork, a pack of thawed stir fry veggies, and sauce of your choice. A wok is great, but this can also be done in the skillet. Most of the off-the-shelf sauces aren't too bad for you, but you can also make your own. Over rice of course.
    Fresh salad with spinach, tomatoes, and cut up chicken or pork (I usually roll in italian seasoned bread crumbs and bake in the oven, then cut it up for the salad), dressing of your choice.
    If you're wanting beef, making your own burgers at home really isn't that bad for you either. Just chose lean beef and lite buns. You can also make your own fries in the oven instead of deep fried (http://zestycook.com/healthy-homemade-french-fries/).
    A favorite of mine is to roll cubed chicken in greek spices (garlic powder, thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram, and minced onion) and sautee it on the stovetop. When it's finished, sprinkle some feta cheese on it and serve with rice pilaf (http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/rice_pilaf/).
    I also sometimes buy the Grilled and Ready refrigerator packs of fajita seasoned chicken, brown it on the stove top with onions and peppers, and serve it in small tortillas with a little salsa, cheese, and sour cream. Serve with spanish rice.

For sides, fruit salad goes with anything. My favorite in the summer is to mix all kinds of fresh berries and pineapple and let them sit in the fridge overnight so the juices all meld together.
    Also baked potato with broccoli, cauliflower, and a little shredded cheese, cottage cheese, and pretty much any veggie in my opinion will come out awesome if you roast it in the oven with some olive oil and salt & pepper (asparagus is great this way).

For light desserts - take a tart apple (especially during the fall when they're in season), cut it up, lightly spray with butter spray, and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon (you can add a little brown sugar if you really want to), and bake at 350 until they are soft.
    Or, any kind of fresh (or even thawed from frozen) berries and add just a dollop of whipped cream. I also like the Edy's Outshine fruit bars or you can make fruit bars at home if you buy molds.

I think it's really important to enjoy your food if you are going to stay on track, so do some googling for healthy recipes and try to find more stuff you like. Good luck!
  • SunshineGirl75P
    SunshineGirl75P Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Some of mine are:
    * Broccoli Beef with stew meat, broccoli, and usually another bag of vegetable, like the Birdseye baby potato blend or one of the asian blends. I use Braggs aminos instead of soy sauce. I cook the steam fresh bags for the lowest time, cook the onions/garlic a bit in some EVOO, add the meat, when cooked add the bags of veggies and stir fry for a few with the aminos. Sometimes I eat it over brown rice, sometimes as is.
    * Fajitas - season chicken or beef (I also use stew meat for this, not as tender but I always have it in the freezer) with chili powder, cumin, pepper, and whatever herbs you like. For veggies I add bell peppers, onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Also served over rice sometimes. Also yummy with black beans!
    * I also do tilapia tacos :happy: - season fish with the same as above but add lemon/lime, I cook it in a skillet with some jalepenos/serranos, when all the fish is cooked (usually more than one skillet) I put it all back in the skillet and chop it up with a bit more lemon and sometimes salsa. When I am trying to cut the tortillas I wrap in romaine.
    * Veggie filled meatloaf - I dice various veggies like carrots, celery, onions, garlic, bell peppers (red, yellow orange), zucchini, and spinach. Sautee them and cool. Then I mix with ground round that I have seasoned with oregano, basil, rosemary, black pepper, and thyme. To cook I make scoops with a 1/2 C measuring cup, top with homemade tomato sauce, and bake on a lined cookie sheet (I use parchment or foil. Makes clean up easier!).
    * Chicken or ground beef stuffed peppers(red, yellow, orange) - Another way to add veggies. Cut the peppers in half, score the back with and X, and seed. Drizzle with EVOO, lightly salt, and roast face down in 400 degree oven for 20 mins. Make the filling. Ground beef or shredded chicken, onions, more peppers, garlic, and any veggies I have left over. Then I add some brown rice and just enough tomato sauce to coat the mixture. Stuff the peppers, top with more sauce and some shredded cheese. Put back in the oven for 20-25 mins.

Hope something sounds yummy to you!
  • mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Quesadillas and subs are some of my favourites :). Also homemade pizza....mmmmmm........ :love: